Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
@ JB-
I look forward to reading your thoughts on wind doping and trajectory but to be honest, in my neck of the thick woods if you take a "0" off your ranges you hunt at it'd be more akin to my shots.

200 yards in Georgia is a long poke.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun,

How about you tell me how many ranches I have been kicked off??

Names please.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not exactly unsupported......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun,

Okay jackass, I asked for names and this is your answer.

I have had fun with a lot of the other guys when they offered their opinion. You made an accusation and now can�t back it up.

300MAG has stated he thinks my prices are high and I don�t have a problem with that. He is not really a potential customer and still doesn�t know much about shooting at extended distance.

Heck he just posted in the optics forum about advice on a budget range finder. He is not exactly ready for what we do, but all he had to say was I was high priced. No offense taken.

You on the other hand made direct accusations and have nothing to back it up.

So you are a jackass. frown

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have had 2

Okay I have now typed the same thing S times and lost it! Damm Blackberry. Done trying/typing til I get home

long responses erased now on this damm blackberry! Done trying/ typing til I get home......

IC B2

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John:

I have no dog in this fight, and will try to offer an unbiased opinion on why so many here seem to have an issue with your pricing. If I were going to "obtain" (from scratch) a "long range precision hunting rifle setup", here's the breakdown for me (and I'll err toward the high cost side of the equation if I do err in my cost breakdown) ...

1. Rem700 stainless steel action - $400
2. McMillan stock - $500
3. Premium match grade SS barrel with flutes - $350
4. True action face, bolt face, chase tenon threads, chamber, fit & time barrel to action - $250
5. Glass & pillar bed bbl'd action into stock - $150
6. Premium set of rings & 20MOA base - $200
7. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with BDC dials specific for my pet load - $1000 (I hate the 4.5-14x Leupolds, and totally disagree with anyone that says more magnification is necessary, or even very useful, for shooting big game out to about 7-800 yards)
8. 100 rounds of ammo - $250
9. Jewel trigger - $200

The above list comes to a cost of $3300, and that includes "profit" made by everyone involved so far. Now, at the very least I can say that I know that every single component is not only of high quality, but I got to choose them myself (whether solely myself, or after discussions with the smith and getting his input).

Now, if you want, you can still go ahead and add another $1000 for your time in mounting the scope, breaking in the barrel (note: barrel break-in is a joke and totally unnecessary), and shipping the rifle out ... and you're still under $4500.

I also want to make a point about the "load development" that you speak of. You just posted in this thread that all you basically need to do is seat the VLD's to the lands and load up with your "standard loads" and you're 90% done with load development ... so there really shouldn't be much cost involved with "load development" from you guys, especially when you only offer a few chamberings and I'm sure you're pretty well versed on what the load is going to be prior to ever starting the load development.

Now, I want to be clear that I have no problem with your pricing - simply because if people are willing to pay that price, more power to you. I don't want anyone telling me what I can charge for my professional services ... it's up to me to decide what the market will bear for what I offer. However, I don't expect to be able to go out and charge $250/hr when the norm is more like $150/hr... but granted, I would definitely charge $250/hr if people were willing to pay it ...

All that said, I have a few rifles in the safe I've had built that are set up to shoot out to 1000 yards, and all work was done by people other than myself, other than load development ... and none of them cost anything near with you are charging for what I'd consider a rifle built with "lesser" components that what I would choose, and all of them shoot exceptionally well. I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard for me to imagine paying that kind of money for what you offer when there is nothing about your work that is unobtainable via many other avenues.

Let's say you hand built your stocks in house - like Melvin Forbes of NULA ... THAT would demand a premium as far as I'm concerned ... but you offer an off the shelf B&C stock that anyone with a few hundred dollars can simply order off the internet ... get my point?

best of luck to you ...

-WGM-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm at a nuke plant and reception is screwed.sorry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WGM,

I think we have plowed this ground before but what the heck let�s try it once more.

If you believe such a system will perform at the same level as what I offer I will play the same game I offered to 300MAG. Are you interested??

It needs to be turnkey and ready to go with a receipt from the builder.

If you are doing the work yourself then I guess we are talking apples and oranges.

The deal that you think barrel break-in is a joke kind of sets the tone for the rest of your post.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun,

I will agree you are sorry, jackass.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JBurns
In defense of slg888 I can see how he might be a little suspicious of HappyShooters first post. He might have handled it with a little more tact and given HappyShooter the benefit of the doubt.
His location of Afghanistan brought the suspicion. Lol

IC B3

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JBurns
WGM,

I think we have plowed this ground before but what the heck let�s try it once more.

If you believe such a system will perform at the same level as what I offer I will play the same game I offered to 300MAG. Are you interested??

It needs to be turnkey and ready to go with a receipt from the builder.

If you are doing the work yourself then I guess we are talking apples and oranges.

The deal that you think barrel break-in is a joke kind of sets the tone for the rest of your post.

Considering that you're likely a better long range shot at the 'game' you offer to play, I will respectfully decline. However, if you were willing to have an impartial third-party shoot both rifles as they run the gauntlet of shots, I might consider it.

I have full faith that the rifles of mine I speak of are as accurate and repeatable as what you put together ... I just don't care to take a chance on comparing my shooting ability to yours.

-WGM-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes 10 min for my screen to change then I lose what I type. Don't worry not done with your dumb ass yet

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WGM,

You might be missing the point here. You do not own a turnkey system.

That is our niche. I am sure you have some very fine rifles and they shoot very well. My point is if you want to compare prices please compare apples to apples.

I just posted an example of how to make a system that offers stellar performance for much less money and much more time than what we offer. It is not rocket science.

But if you want me to do the work those are the prices.

Most guys with the income to do that are not really looking for the lowest bidder. They usually are successful in their own business by not trying to be the lowest bidder but by offering the best value.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With all due respect, barrel break-in is a joke of the highest order.

When someone can show that a rifle barrel performed better because it was "broke in", rather than simply being shot, will be the day I'm afraid.

No two barrels from any manufacturer will be the same, even though the brand is the least likely to effect the overall accuracy of the complete rifle. Chamber dimensions in respect to headspace, concentricity, and throat will easily trump the maker of the barrel in regards to the final outcome of bullet placement.

Barrels get broken in by placing rounds on paper and meat on the table. Any amount of extra fluff is reserved for wasting powder and cleaning patches, while impressing friends who frankly don't know any better.

No barrel will undeniably be able to shoot a better group based solely on whether it was dabbled with this or that bottle of snake oil during the latest and greatest version of barrel break in procedures that are hailed to be the flavor of the month.

No one can test the "theory", simply because there are too many factors that enter into the equation that simply make the matter mute. If you "break in" one barrel and shoot a fantastic group, then skip the break in procedure on the next barrel and shoot a lousy group, what have you proven?
Reverse that procedure around, managing to shoot the better group with the unbroke barrel and suddenly you've found yourself in a quagmire of sorts.

I've shot and built too many tent stake Remington factory barrels that made bugholes to get too worked up about a barrel brand and or break-in procedure.

Custom barrels do exactly three things:
1)They allow the customer to pick his twist rate.
2)They allow the customer to pick his finish and contour
3)They foul less

Those were purposely put in order of importance as well.

I as well as many others on these boards take a new barrel and clean it up good, stripping it down to bare steel. Moly the bullets and at some point in our life, we might clean it.

That's barrel break-in 101.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun,

When you were making accusations your Blackberry worked just fine.

Now that I want names you seem to have a big case of the �unable to types�

Hands a little shaky??

Still a jackass

John Burns

I have all the sources.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have already posted that there is no way I could give the money for a greybull rifle as much as I would like to so bear with me.

WGM if put together that rifle for $4500 and it does not shoot who do you blame? The smith is going to the blame the barrel maker and the barrel maker is going to blame the smith. I know a new barrel is under $500 but still you will be all of your time and componets trying to make that gun shoot.

I think there are alot of guys out there that $1500 -$2000 premium does not mean a whole alot to and they will pay the money for a turnkey gun.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by ColdBore

But the owner's attitude is starting to wear on me already. Kinda came on with the "Bull" in the china shop mentality, just trampling through...

from how he handled the ankle biters here so far, i kinda like the guy.

Plus 1K....get it shocked

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
300 MAG no one is here to kiss JB's azz. Alot of us respect a guy that has killed game on tv from 600 to 1200 yars with out alot bullchit to go with it. He was not afraid to show kills at extreme range and did not care what everyone else's opinion was. Look at the chit storm he takes from everyone here that thinks because they can only shoot 300 yards that everyone should only shoot 300 yards. JB had a great show that when they killed something there was not alot of butt rubbing and dick slapping after every kill shot. Now on the botw everytime they kill something they have a group hug and someone rubs everyone. Just not what I want to see on tv .

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Triggerguard1

I honestly don�t know where to begin. If you don�t understand what happens during break-in, ignorance is bliss. Don�t buy a bore scope.

Moly???? Really?????

What you can get away with in a small capacity 100yd gun is very different than a precision hunting rifle shooting VLDs at full speed.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dink,

One of the reasons I left was no one would rub me!!!

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.