Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think this has already been stated, but there's little doubt in my mind that more animals are wounded by slob hunters at considerably shorter ranges than are wounded by the LR boys at 6-800yds. It really boils down to knowing your ability to make the shot under the conditions you're faced with - for some that's 1000yds and for some it might be 100yds.

To be fair, if you asked every member of this forum if they've ever lost an animal due to a poor hit... I'm guessing it's happened to a lot of us, and not necessarily at long range.

This is all becoming rather childish... I'll bet my dad can beat up your dad.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK

Damn man who cares who he sells what to and what he charges for it? Dodge sells trucks for $60,000 to people that don't haul anything go whine to them for a while.
Dink

I wouldn't have a problem if he sold his trucks to people with a valid driver's license.

He sells his "trucks" to those who wish to pay off the instructor, skip driver's education, and go straight into "heavy hauling"........

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2muchdumb

is this still America where people can still buy what they wish where legal?

or is this your little fantasy world where you can get your way by throwing a tantrum?

do you think we should throw a tantrum about lever actions because they may induce people to take shots at running game through brush and may wound animals? how many people with M94 .30-30s know how much lead a mover going 15 mph at 73 yards requires?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Damn man who cares who he sells what to and what he charges for it? Dodge sells trucks for $60,000 to people that don't haul anything go whine to them for a while.
Dink

I wouldn't have a problem if he sold his trucks to people with a valid driver's license.

He sells his "trucks" to those who wish to pay off the instructor, skip driver's education, and go straight into "heavy hauling"........

This world is about making money and if JB don't take there money someone else will. At least when he sells a rifle the people can afford to practice unlike alot people that buy Remingtons 710's.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys really don't get it do you? You either haven't read the entire thread, or you are just mentally challenged in terms of comprehension skills.

Right now, signs point to both.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JBurns
Triggerguard1,

I guess we have the barrel break in thing cleared up. smile

The term fouler shot comes from cleaning techniques and guns that don�t put the first shot from a bare steel clean barrel on to the target.

Use the right cleaning techniques and a good gun and you will start to see first round hits out of a cold clean barrel. I have no fear of heading to the hills with a clean barrel but then I don�t shoot moly

As whether I have anything to back it up do you have any suggestion??

I must have misunderstood; I thought you had a real title in the shooting world. My bad. whistle

I most certainly know what a "fouler shot" is and where it came from.
I'm sure the benchrest guys would love to hear the explanation you just gave.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in your answers, considering how many of your former rifles are wearing the trigger guards I made.

For the record, my issue isn't about the price of your rigs, nor the distance that you advocate shooting game. Mainly, because I know what it takes to shoot at those ranges and it can be done quite humanely and routinely. The difference is, I know that you cannot make a "turnkey" long-distance rifle, since the rifle is only half of the equation at best when talking those ranges.

You can make a very accurate rifle that can assist a great deal in helping a long-range shooter make those shots, but the system can't be turnkey for anyone but an accomplished shooter.

I'd love to see the first clean shot hit where the rest lie one of these days, as many others I'm sure would too, but it don't happen. I could care less how many borescopes and special cleaning techniques, coupled with the latest break-in procedure is employed, it simply doesn't happen...MOLY or NO MOLY.

Like I said earlier, my door is always open and I love a good steak, even if I have to choke it down whilst my company is eating crow.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WGM
John:

I have no dog in this fight, and will try to offer an unbiased opinion on why so many here seem to have an issue with your pricing. If I were going to "obtain" (from scratch) a "long range precision hunting rifle setup", here's the breakdown for me (and I'll err toward the high cost side of the equation if I do err in my cost breakdown) ...

1. Rem700 stainless steel action - $400
2. McMillan stock - $500
3. Premium match grade SS barrel with flutes - $350
4. True action face, bolt face, chase tenon threads, chamber, fit & time barrel to action - $250
5. Glass & pillar bed bbl'd action into stock - $150
6. Premium set of rings & 20MOA base - $200
7. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with BDC dials specific for my pet load - $1000 (I hate the 4.5-14x Leupolds, and totally disagree with anyone that says more magnification is necessary, or even very useful, for shooting big game out to about 7-800 yards)
8. 100 rounds of ammo - $250
9. Jewel trigger - $200

The above list comes to a cost of $3300,

Just about everything in your list is a lowball, "buddy" price, if it can be had at all. You didn't list what it costs to install and short chamber the barrel, your barrel price is $150 too low. You might get decent mounts for $200, probably closer to $300.

And while we are talking about mounts Burns shows(in the "How to Shoot" DVD's) why "conventional" mounts can and will let your a$$ down, he does show you how they can be installed in a much more solid, reliable manner but HIS rifles mounts are bombproof. I'll won't explain it to you cheap bastids, buy the DVDs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/quote]
For the record, my issue isn't about the price of your rigs, nor the distance that you advocate shooting game. Mainly, because I know what it takes to shoot at those ranges and it can be done quite humanely and routinely. The difference is, I know that you cannot make a "turnkey" long-distance rifle, since the rifle is only half of the equation at best when talking those ranges.

You can make a very accurate rifle that can assist a great deal in helping a long-range shooter make those shots, but the system can't be turnkey for anyone but an accomplished shooter.

I'd love to see the first clean shot hit where the rest lie one of these days, as many others I'm sure would too, but it don't happen. I could care less how many borescopes and special cleaning techniques, coupled with the latest break-in procedure is employed, it simply doesn't happen...MOLY or NO MOLY.
[/quote]

Anyone who doesn't agree with this simply doesn't shoot enough to rate an opinion.

"turnkey" may now be my most hated word......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by WGM
John:

I have no dog in this fight, and will try to offer an unbiased opinion on why so many here seem to have an issue with your pricing. If I were going to "obtain" (from scratch) a "long range precision hunting rifle setup", here's the breakdown for me (and I'll err toward the high cost side of the equation if I do err in my cost breakdown) ...

2. McMillan stock - $500
4. True action face, bolt face, chase tenon threads, chamber, fit & time barrel to action - $250
7. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with BDC dials specific for my pet load - $1000 (I hate the 4.5-14x Leupolds, and totally disagree with anyone that says more magnification is necessary, or even very useful, for shooting big game out to about 7-800 yards)
9. Jewel trigger - $200

Just about everything in your list is a lowball, "buddy" price, if it can be had at all.

Once again some more BS from someone who hasn't a clue. For $6000 I could build 2 rifles equal to or better than a GBP in every way.

But again, it's not the prices of the products that are pissing people off, it's the ideology behind them.

I've said all I care to say on the subject. Hope you do well, John. Hope your clients do better. The game animals deserve it.

Goodnight kids.......

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
27 pages of bitchen and arguing over the price of a gun, how to clean a gun and how a man decides to hunt things must be slow!

gene

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WGM
John:

2. McMillan stock - $500
9. Jewel trigger - $200

Just about everything in your list is a lowball, "buddy" price, if it can be had at all. You didn't list what it costs to install and short chamber the barrel, your barrel price is $150 too low. You might get decent mounts for $200, probably closer to $300.

And while we are talking about mounts Burns shows(in the "How to Shoot" DVD's) why "conventional" mounts can and will let your a$$ down, he does show you how they can be installed in a much more solid, reliable manner but HIS rifles mounts are bombproof. I'll won't explain it to you cheap bastids, buy the DVDs.

Believe what you want, but I'm from the world of competitive shooting... and there are not many out there spending that jack on a top winning gun....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let's just cut to the chase, John. You've now dodged the same question 4 times.

You're selling people what amounts to a $3000 package with the scope and charging them another $3000 for "barrel break in" and "load development". When in fact there is little to none of either required because, in essence, you are building the same rifle over and over again tailored to the same load and same scope. That about sums it up, doesn't it? High profit for little work/time invested. What if these people want to shoot something other than a VLD? Or different bullet weight? Then what? Let me guess, they have to pay more money for further "load development" or different turrets. That about right??

The appalling part of the whole deal(more so than your rip-off prices) is that you are telling every dumbphuck out there that doesn't know a rifle from a tent stake that it is okay to go ahead and take long shots at game whether they have the experience and qualifications/skills to do so or not. Just buy one of your overpriced rifles and sling some lead at any range they want. Are you teaching them windage skills? God knows they don't have any skills, or they wouldn't be coming to you for one of your "magical rifles" that turns them into Carlos Hathcock over night.

You can lie to the rest of the folks here if you want, but I know you and your buddies have wounded a ton of critters trying to put your "videos of LR expertise" together. What is your wounds/kill ratio? And you consider yourself a good shot . What about the clueless client who buys one of your rifles? All of your clients are obviously clueless, or they wouldn't be calling you in the first place. How many do these guys wound?

Why don't you just get closer? Are you that schitty of a hunter? You must just smell bad, cuz everything about you and your little "wounding buddies" stinks.

Having my beer now, I'll not devote any more of my time to this trash of a thread.......

Dink

And thats a ripoff too... selling something to someone that doesn't need it... of course I'd flop as a salesman simply because I'm honest.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun,

You made ridiculous accusations and have been totally unable to back them up and now you are making silly claims with absolutely no intention of backing those up either.

You will not be able to name any ranch that kicked me off and you will not build a single rifle, much less 2.

You remain a jackass.

I am wondering if this is really really the last post or if you might just have one more thing to say??

Triggerguard1,

Boy you are really confident in your position. Willing to risk a whole steak dinner???

Why would you say I used your trigger guards?? I don�t have anything against your guards, but it seem kind of cheesy to say I used them when I never ever ever ever have.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, now it all comes to light. We just don't have enough experience or knowledge to spend our time and money as we deem fit. Sound familar ? "2muchgun", you ain't from the Federal Government and here to help are ya'?

JBurns-Thanks for sponsoring the forum!!

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WGM
John:

2. McMillan stock - $500
9. Jewel trigger - $200

Just about everything in your list is a lowball, "buddy" price, if it can be had at all.

Once again some more BS from someone who hasn't a clue.

I don't have a clue, huh. You also suggested in the same post that a 3.5x10 Leupy was all you need to shoot long range. That proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you are full of schit 'cause that is not a side focus scope, and you probably don't even know what that is, or why NO ONE who knows what they are doing, attempt shots past 4-500 with out one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by WGM
John:

2. McMillan stock - $500
9. Jewel trigger - $200

Believe what you want, but I'm from the world of competitive shooting... and there are not many out there spending that jack on a top winning gun....

A friend of mine is a competitive shooter, he spends very little on shooting. He gets boxes of parts, ammo, and complete guns, in the mail, for free, all the time. Yes, if you are friends with Carl Bernosky, his lathe time comes a tad cheaper, that's why I said you listed "buddy" prices on a lot of your list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a clue, huh. You also suggested in the same post that a 3.5x10 Leupy was all you need to shoot long range. That proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you are full of schit 'cause that is not a side focus scope, and you probably don't even know what that is, or why NO ONE who knows what they are doing, attempt shots past 4-500 with out one.

Stayed out of this and don't begrudge GreyBull one bit, but this has to be [bleep] parody.
That or you are off your [bleep] rocker sugar...

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Not enough posts to credibly weigh in unfortunately. How about a loose glossary for this thread?

Capitalism - an economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately owned and operated for a private profit; decisions regarding supply, demand, price, distribution, and investments are made by private actors in the market

Demand (Economic) - the ability or the willingness to buy a particular commodity at a given point of time

Socialism - characterized by production for use rather than profit, by equality of individual wealth, by the absence of competitive economic activity, and, usually, by government determination of investment, prices, and production level

Experience - Active participation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill

Opinion - A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

Childish - foolish or petty

Jackass - A foolish or stupid person

Cheers!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a Knee ... Are you freaking serious about (paraphrase) "anyone who knows what they are doing only uses a side focus scope"??? First off, "side focus" is just an engineering item ... the proper description would be a "scope with adjustable parallax" - whether side focus or an adjustable objective is used to accomplish that is another story.

Back to being able to shoot "long range" without an adjustable parallax scope ... it CAN be done, and is done all the time with relative ease for anyone who knows how to get a consistent cheek weld and place their eye in the center of the scope's view, thus eliminating parallax issues as it applies to shooting big game. I shouldn't have to say this, but keep in mind I'm not talking benchrest competition where microns might decide who wins.

For what it's worth, here's a couple of pictures from when I was shooting at about 800 yards with a Rem700 Varmint .243win barreled action dropped into an HS Precision "PSS" stock (no bedding other than the aluminum block that comes integral to the stock), with a VX-III 3.5-10x40 in Talley one-piece lightweight rings. For reference, this is an 8" square steel plate.

[Linked Image]

Here's a view from the steel plate back to the cabin I was shooting from ...

[Linked Image]

And as for "buddy pricing", you're again way off ... the prices I listed are easily available to anyone that can use google to search for the components of the rifle, be it the pedestrian individual or a smith ... and keep in mind as well that most smiths (at least the ones I know) are able to get better than 'typical' pricing on components, which could result in even lower pricing that I listed.

and to JBurns ... you keep talking about being the only one (or one of the very few) that offers a "turnkey" system ... are you insinuating that there are no other smiths out there that are willing to build a complete rifle, including working up loads for the end user? If so, you obviously haven't dealt with many smiths. Granted, most of us here don't want the smith to do every last little bit of work before handing the rifle over to us, but they will gladly take on the task of doing so if you pay them ... just like your customers are paying you to do so.

Now, another item that I don't think has been addressed ... From your write-up on your website, you have some verbiage about how great the stock is that you use on your P105 rifle ... It might be a quality stock, but what if the end user want's (or better yet, needs" a shorter length of pull, or perhaps a longer one than the stock offers off the shelf? Does Greybull Precision offer a shorter or longer length of pull on the stock? If so, is this part of the $6000 price tag, or would this be considered extra?

And one more pic ... this antelope was taken at just over 400 yards using the same rifle. I realize that 415 yards is not the same as 800 yards, but still, the shot was made from a field position on a moving buck, and a lowly 85g TSX that doesn't even start to compare to the VLD bullets in terms of ballistic coefficient ...

[Linked Image]

-WGM-
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't know squat about long range rifles and can't afford a $6K rifle - but I have enjoyed seeing the way Burns deals with douchebags. I hope he sells boatloads of his rifles and sticks around to share his knowledge and experience.

Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.