Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'm REALLY SORRY to hear that.

I don't if this will help but if anyone who reads this thread can make a difference I for one would REALLY LIKE to see that article published.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This is a really cool thread, thoroughly enjoyed it (just a little late finding it!)
For those who were collecting books by the Johnson's, I have a copy of "Camera Trails in Africa" by Martin Johnson. Believe it's the 1st Printing hardcover (Century Books, 1924) in nice shape (unmarked) w/o dust cover. It is dedicated to Osa, which states, in part, "Osa has stood by me in every emergency. In Africa, she saved my life from the elephants of Lake Paradise. She has never failed me. And - what counts most - she likes it all!"
I'd be happy to send it no charge to whomever wants it (1st choice to Mr. Faucett, since he started this thing).
Just PM me an address.

elkjaeger

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well heck!!! What a deal! PM sent.

Cheers!
-Bob F. grin

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Book going to Bob to fill a hole in his collection!

elkjaeger

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Finally, I sat down, poured myself a drink and read all 33 pages...congrats to Mr. Faucett on a fine rifle, and also, I must say, this is the campfire at it's best.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't believe that no one was interested in Osa's story and the rifle. It seems like just about every hunting and fishing TV show and magazine out there can't find enough ways to showcase women. That would have made a great story, maybe they'll reconsider and run in later on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My introduction to Osa and Martin was Ruark's reference in Horn of the Hunter. It took me twenty years to read up on them.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomSmith
I can't believe that no one was interested in Osa's story and the rifle. It seems like just about every hunting and fishing TV show and magazine out there can't find enough ways to showcase women. That would have made a great story, maybe they'll reconsider and run in later on.

Well, I do have some good news! I received this email from the article's author back in August. I just forgot to post an update on here.

--------------------------------
to: Bob Faucett
date: Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM
subject: Osa 9.3

Bob,

I had an exchange of e-mails today with Dan, the editor of Gun Digest. My suspicions were correct. He ran out of pages in the book and rescheduled the Osa piece for Gun Digest 2012. I don't really have a problem with that. I really think that Gun Digest is the best venue for the piece on Osa and her rifle. Let me know what you think.

--------------------------------

The author sent me a copy (via email) of the article so I've already read it though, obviously, I can't post it here. I have to say that I think he did a very good job.

Well, it's a shame we'll have to wait another year to see the article in print but at least it looks like it is going to be published! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good taste is rifles! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Thank you Gentlemen....for an enjoyable read.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
My introduction to Osa and Martin was Ruark's reference in Horn of the Hunter.

Me too!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

C
C
These particular rifles from Chas. A Heyer and co. are very hard to find any information on, I own a rifle almost identical to yours, except did not get as lucky on original condition, mine is drilled and tapped, and has been bored to 9.3x338, but otherwise is identical, they are a fine piece of history. I have looked long and hard to find the maker of these rifles, if they came from mauser, or were farmed out to a custom gunmaker, but have really found nothing. Any information that you have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Derek

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
My introduction to Osa and Martin was Ruark's reference in Horn of the Hunter. �

I fell in love with Osa (and both admired and envied Martin!) in 1940�1941. Still have a first edition of her classic I Married Adventure, in very good condition. I first read the copy that I'd borrowed from the Wheelwright, KY, public library but of course had to have a copy of my own to cherish. Heady stuff for a preteen! Since both my reading days and my breathing days are on the wane, it's available for some younger hunter-adventurer to fall in love with a very classy hot lady.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ken,
I noticed your offer of the book by Osa Johnson to a younger adventurer and would like the opportunity to purchase the book from you. I am 50 so not so young but planning my families first trip to Africa for next June and would like to read her book before I go. I also have put together a 9.3x62 that may be going along but not sure on that yet. You may send a private email to me if you wish to 2lesgreengmail.com
Thank you sir.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You notice she's holding a FLYROD! Also she's an accomplished camp cook. I see why Mr. Howell feels he is in love again!

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somebody want to send me a copy of their airplanes? smile I could use a Sikorsky, 38 or 39, no preference!

It's not the destination...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She truly was a priceless treasure. Well ahead of her time as a well rounded adventurer.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by labdad
Somebody want to send me a copy of their airplanes? smile I could use a Sikorsky, 38 or 39, no preference!

I think you'll enjoy this video. My web server does not support video streaming so you'll need to wait for the file to download before you can view it. It's about a 40 meg file. It's worth the wait to download it!

Jimmy Buffett Flies Her
A fully restored Sikorsky S-38 named "Osa's Ark".
(It's not the original "Osa's Ark" but it is a genuine S-38.)

http://www.bunduki.com/bob/mp4/Jimmy_Flies_Her_S-38.mp4

Crank up your speakers and listen to those twin radial engines roar and purr!!! smile [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!! grin
-Bob F.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There are a couple of Osa Ark recreation S 38's on you tube.....

These guys are flying all over the world with their restored one;

http://unlimitedadventure.com/

If you click on Osa's Ark you can see a pic of the giraffe paint job S 39 and the zebra 38 together.

Cool stuff in this thread always good when it gets kicked to the top.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dinsdale

Cool stuff in this thread always good when it gets kicked to the top.

definitely one of the top 20 threads of this site maybe top 10.....it should be bumped from time to time....great pics, great history....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.