Print Thread
Hop To
P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Well, here's a thread I kinda wish I didn't have to start. I'm a keen hunter - smallgame, deer, pigs and waterfowl. I've always worn ear protection while at the range, and also a pair of valved earplugs (Sonic II) while shotgun shooting. I didn't worry too much about the ear protection while after large game.

That's recently changed. I went out on the town with a few friends, and spent maybe 3 hours at a bar in front of the speakers of a live band. That was 2 weeks ago, and the ringing in my left ear is still constant and probably permanent. Guess I'm just lucky enough to have sensitive ears. Hearing itself still tests fine across the board.

Anyways, I can live with the ringing at the current level, but I'm really keen that it doesn't get any louder. Suddenly, protecting my ears from those infrequent deer rifle shots seems like a really good idea. Hence the interest in electronic ear plugs.

I don't know much about the different models and brands. I've been searching, and have come up with EAR Inc, ESP, Walker Game Ears, and Earscopes.

Would anyone with experience of electronic ear-plugs be willing to share some advice?

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wear Peltor Tac Six electronic ear muffs at sixty nine to seventy nine dollars a pair.

Walkers are great, but easy to loose...that's an issue.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Muffs are the best solution since they cover the bone around the ears. Bone transmits sound to the inner ear and can damage hearing -- especially in the long term. Problem is, they can interfere with getting a good cheek weld on a rifle stock.

If you can afford it (and, particularly in this case, prevention is WAY cheaper than solving the problem of hearing loss), the custom fit plugs are excellent. Well fit ones are more comfortable for long term wearing than the universal fit style -- the more comfortable they are the more likely you will use them. You can have a cord attached to them that helps prevent losing them.

I think any major manufacturer will do. Mine happen to be made by Starkey Labs, but others are just as good. The circuitry involved is 'old school' and been around for quite awhile.

P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
CRounds, how do you find your Starkey plugs? That's the brand the local audiologist referred me to - Starkey Magnum Ears. Do you find them practical to wear full time when hunting? Hows the directionality - is it difficult to determine where sounds come from? Does the amplification cause problems by making innocuous sounds too loud?

I'm really interested in anyone who has experience with these products. The priorities for me are plugs that provide good levels of protection, are comfortable and practical to wear while stalking for hours at a time, and which don't ruin hearing directionality.

I don't think I actually need amplification over "normal" hearing. But I don't want muffled hearing either.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by PaulNZ; 09/21/10. Reason: Punctuation
P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Back to top. C'mon guys, there must be a few posters who have tried these things out.

So far, I've had more success posting my query on a rimfire forum - and they hardly make noise at all! laugh

Thanks to those who responded so far. I'm still looking for more info though, before I go and drop a grand on something with zero resale value.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by PaulNZ
CRounds, how do you find your Starkey plugs? That's the brand the local audiologist referred me to - Starkey Magnum Ears. Do you find them practical to wear full time when hunting? Hows the directionality - is it difficult to determine where sounds come from? Does the amplification cause problems by making innocuous sounds too loud?

I'm really interested in anyone who has experience with these products. The priorities for me are plugs that provide good levels of protection, are comfortable and practical to wear while stalking for hours at a time, and which don't ruin hearing directionality.

I don't think I actually need amplification over "normal" hearing. But I don't want muffled hearing either.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,
Sorry for the late reply - didn't check this thread until now! They work fine for me. The only issue I've had is sometimes, if I'm wearing a balaclava, the fabric will pull on my ear and the units will squeal. Otherwise they work well - amplification is controlled by a tiny volume wheel. Generally I keep mine well below the maximum because it helps control feedback issues and I don't need much volume. Comfort isn't an issue if they are properly fitted. Directionality is indistinguishable from normal hearing IMHO. They are extremely useful in hunting, but until you get used to them -- a squirrel might sound like a giant buck in the woods!!

And they do work as plugs - if you or someone near you pulls the trigger you'll be pretty pleased at how that cut the sound.

One caveat - years ago when they were being introduced at Starkey, I was given a set because they knew I was a pistol shooter. I advised them not to sell them for use in indoor ranges because the circuit timing couldn't account for the echo you get indoors. The initial sound impulse would be properly damped, but the echo wasn't. That said, the echo wasn't that loud but it was annoying.

P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
That's good to hear, thanks very much for the feedback. They sound like a good thing, I think I'd better get some detailed prices from the audiologist.

Just one point I'd like to clarify - does the volume wheel go low enough that there is no amplification at all? Can I have the plug technically "on", but with zero amplification over normal, unplugged hearing? Seems like that would be useful from time to time.

Thanks again,
Paul

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Peltor Tac 6 is tiny, never contacts the stock...not even an issue, and they are $79.

P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by keith
The Peltor Tac 6 is tiny, never contacts the stock...not even an issue, and they are $79.

Yes, but can you wear them for several hours continuously when hunting in the summer?

Honest question - as I haven't tried. I have a strong preference for in-the-ear protection, but given the price difference perhaps I should try muffs. I just can't imagine they're comfortable to wear for hours on end when stalking up hill and down dale.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,676
Posts18,513,311
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.