Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tex-true enough. However, I believe the frequently maligned post 64 Model 70 is a little better rifle than folks will admit. I just purchased an entry level Model 670 manufactured in the 1970s, and I have been around a number of other Model 70s from this era. For a lack of a better analogy, they are an all steel Tikka with a wing safety that also shoots. And that is not all bad. For a push feed rifle, the engineering of the magazine box, rails, ramp and receiver dimensions provide some damn good cartridge control and very slick feeding. I would venture the total cartridge control with these guys would rival many of the current over the counter so-called CRF rifles. In other words, a lot of the new �CRF� rifles sold today, which have not been timed and tuned properly, provide the shooter with less positive cartridge control than the nasty post 64 Model 70. CP.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oh, those marvelous pre-'64's!

Where is old-school workmanship like that anymore? Where else can I buy a rifle with shallow hand-checkering, complete with overruns? Then there's that slim, trim pistol grip, exactly suited for an 800-pound gorilla.

Oh, and then they heat-treated the action after all those zillions of machining cuts, so it would be sure to warp slightly. And that nifty several-piece bottom metal, requiring 3 screws, so handy when taking the rifle apart to do any maintenance. And the superb trigger, which can't be adjusted down below 4-1/2 pounds on most rifles, instead requiring complete dismantling and rebuilding, almost as complex as rebuilding a 327 from an old Chevy.
Laffin here... JB, you especially should know better..

But I'm outta popcorn so I'll find another amusing thread.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Shiiiiit,
My 722 will outshoot your warn out old Model 70 anyday...
Stir da pot baby, stir... [Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35

......... my next, was a 30-06 that was found along with 10 other pre 64's by janitors opening up an old long forgotten room on the Northern Arizona University campus.My understanding is they were used by the college rifle team back in the 40's. They sat hidden in a crate for 50 years. The campus sold them to Shooters World in Phoenix, AZ.

This is an undeniable element in pre 64 appeal...not only do they work and shoot well....they have "history" and soul...they have been places and done things by now that a new rifle lacks.You are free to buy them, and make your own memories with them(which of course you can do with any rifle).

But also,they dwell in odd places, occupy deep dark corners and crawl spaces....come out of hiding when wiows sell them...they all have a past and the fact that old riflemen died still owning them,says something of their value and worthiness.So discovery of there existence is a welcome surprise.

Like archaeologists seeking old bones,we look for them....

I cruised the darker corners of one of New Hampshires more cluttered little gunshops yesterday afternoon......among the "other stuff",on the floor,amidst miscellaneous gun shop stuff,was a barreled action,scope mounted,which I identified,from a distance,immediately. It was a pre 64 standard grade 30/06,(the stock out to be refinished because a Philisinte had used a bowling ball finish on it).

I cleaned the barrel(mint bright,lands sharp),washed old dried grease from the working parts, trigger,lubed everything....it all worked of course.....I am waiting for the stock.

For true rifle nuts,adrenalin junkies(me) the "find" is as important as the rifle. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TexasRick
The pre-64 rifles are LEGENDS while the new rifles.....even though technically "better" will never achieve that status.

Pretty much sums it up and the fact that it is still being compared to offerings of 2010 is evidence of that truth. As good as that made today? In someways yes and in others no. As functional as any made today? Yes. As dynamic or refined in their handling characteristics? No. The standards have been to heavy for my use for many years and the FWT are really the only ones that interest me. Absolutely not lightweight by today's standards, but certainly not cumbersome either.

The cost cutting methods used in many rifles today leave them coming up short in my opinion. The SC Mod 70s are slowly gaining a reputation as solid rifles, much the same as the pre 64 and most of the NH offerings.

It been a winding road since 1936, but the Legend is still with us and continues to generate debate on just how good it is. Not many others can say the same.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by battue
[quote=TexasRick] The pre-64 rifles are LEGENDS while the new rifles.....even though technically "better" will never achieve that status.

Definitions of legend (n)
leg�end [ l�jjənd ]
old story: a story that has been passed down for generations, especially one that is presented as history but is unlikely to be true
old stories: a group of stories presented as history but unlikely to be true
modern myth: a popular myth that has arisen in modern times

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you deal yourself a bad hand, it's best to fold.

Usage Note:
Legend comes from the Latin adjective legenda, "for reading, to be read," which referred only to written stories, not to traditional stories transmitted orally from generation to generation. This restriction also applied to the English word legend when it was first used in the late 14th century in reference to written accounts of saints' lives, but ever since the 15th century legend has been used to refer to traditional stories as well. Today a legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a storyanyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the media than by oral tradition. Thus we speak of the legendary accomplishments of a major-league baseball star or the legendary voice of a famous opera singer. This usage is common journalistic hyperbole, and 55 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it.

Last edited by battue; 09/18/10.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by battue

Usage Note:
Legend comes from the Latin adjective legenda, "for reading, to be read," which referred only to written stories, not to traditional stories transmitted orally from generation to generation....... This usage is common journalistic hyperbole, and 55 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it.

Defintion of
Delusion-

de�lu�sion (d-lzhn)
n.
a. The act or process of deluding.
b. The state of being deluded.
2. A false belief or opinion: labored under the delusion that success was at hand.
3. Psychiatry A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: delusions of persecution.
4) Shooting Sports- misty eyed romantics who get sucked into collector hype and truly believe a pre 64 m70 is the high water mark of factory bolt rifles...

Last edited by shooterdood; 09/18/10.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Definition of Dude (Dood) - a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by TXRam
Definition of Dude (Dood) - a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range

And to a Texan, that must involve buying over rated old rifles?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm betting you will be a legend around here shortly. I'll just play the cards in my hand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
about "Shooterdood"
I don't think he has one,or ever used one,maybe not even had one in hand....Good start on the campfire!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by rifle
about "Shooterdood"
I don't think he has one,or ever used one,maybe not even had one in hand....Good start on the campfire!

Actually done all those things with pre 64 m70s..

I feel, nostalgia for the "old days" and collector hype aside, they are over rated.

If you would read some of the other comments on this thread you would see other free thinking indivduals- one a very respected writer - feel the same way.

I'm sorry I don't subscribe to the beliefs of your little "cult".

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've I could not longer find Howa/Vanguard, Remington 700's, Ruger 77's or Husqvarna/98 Mausers I'd consider running a Pre64.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if any of those will ever make it to the Cody Museum?

The "Cult" is actually larger than some realize....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't say as if I've ever bought anything because it MIGHT make it in the Cody museum.

Just cuzz more people voted for Obama then not don't mean much to me about majority opinion either, and I'm pretty sure there WILL be an Obama Museum/library.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I wonder if any of those will ever make it to the Cody Museum?

The "Cult" is actually larger than some realize....

First of all, based on the size of the Cody collection alone. The odds of anything you'd ever own making the cut are pretty slim. Certainly no greater than if you owned aan NIB 1962 Remington m700.

And as to the size of your "cult" , no matter what it's size, it doesn't make your beliefs correct.

The Nazi party was pretty popular in Germany at one time. That sure did not make them right.

Cattle, Sheep, Lemmings, etc all find comfort in numbers. And are equally incapable of origional thought..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'Dood...spell check,please
I certainly hope YOU are not comparing Winchester 70 owners to the Nazi party.....pretty low rent there!

Come on America,

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
'Dood...spell check,please
I certainly hope YOU are not comparing Winchester 70 owners to the Nazi party.....pretty low rent there!

So now instead of discussing the "superior" qualities of the vaunted pre 64 m70 you want to play English teacher?? LOL.. funny stuff. grin

Steelhead's last two posts post's had a few spelling errors. Perhaps you should chastise him as well ?

This is a net forum not English class. But it is typical when one is losing a debate to deflect matters off topic..

As to comparing pre 64 m70 fans to the Nazi party- ONLY in the sense that being popular does not make a group correct in their beliefs....

Sort of like the Democrats in 2008.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
At least when I buy a pre-64 it is an investment that could have positive monetary returns in the near future. Not that I would sell one.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 56 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.