Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by DPole
I don't know much about HSUS. Is HSUS the "bad" humane society? I think there is a similar-sounding one thats not "so bad." Anyway, I again think the Wisconsin DNR is getting more blame than it deserves.

Yes they are the 'bad' humane society. Not the one where you get cute little pet that has been spayed or nutered. It's similar to PETA in that it wants to stop hunting/fishing and most all outdoor rec activities.

Just to add to this, the director of HSUS is Wayne Pacelle, former director of PETA.

People need to know this. Anyone who calls himself a hunter, or professes to care about the future of hunting, should know this.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now how did old Wayne get is frigging job I ask??? All those PETA people need to be shipped off to an island so they can do their bidding with no one to interfer.

Wolfs, now who in the Glory Bee needs wolfs in their area and just what good do they really accomplish for the animal world and mankind? I think every big city zoo should have at least 1 pair.

In my state of Missouri, the "conservation people" turned loose some 1,200 rattle snakes for hunters and their kids to deal with while hunting the hardwoods. Yep, there is nothing like going fall hunting with a bow and your 12 year old gets bit by a Timber Rattle Snake or some other species of rattler. I hope the heads of our state conservation commission go hunting and get bit by one of these nice little creatures during the hunting season.

Now there is a bunch of pictures on the internet, of a young boy who got bitten by a rattler while sitting and taking a back with his friends from hiking. This young person suffered emense pain and over a dozen operations on his arm and hand. I hate to think of what the medical costs would total.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are lots of places that are sanitized for folks like you Tonk. Try Central Park, Manhattan, NY. Should be just about your speed.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Tonk
In my state of Missouri, the "conservation people" turned loose some 1,200 rattle snakes for hunters and their kids to deal with while hunting the hardwoods.

"Released"......as in "Planted"?

Or......"Caught and Released".....as in the Timber Rattlesnake and Massasauga studies?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any way you slice it wolves are not welcome in the woods by anyone or anything that spends any real time in the woods. I wonder why that is? Maybe we should release them on the grounds of every state capitol that thinks they are so wonderful and see how long that opinion lasts. Maybe we would get lucky and they would reduce the uneducated liberal vote by a sizable margin.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by brinky72
Any way you slice it wolves are not welcome in the woods by anyone or anything that spends any real time in the woods.

That's a pretty broad brush............and the statement is not true.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GrandView
Originally Posted by brinky72
Any way you slice it wolves are not welcome in the woods by anyone or anything that spends any real time in the woods.

That's a pretty broad brush............and the statement is not true.

It ain't even close to true. Speaking for myself and many people I grew up with, we all enjoyed wolves in the woods. Made our "woods" (Superior National Forest) just a lot more interesting and wilder than everyone else's. Spent almost 20 yrs out in the deep timber and never had a problem. Nor did my dogs.

The people that make those sorts of statements find new things scary and probably ought not be in the woods in general.

M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BrentD

Speaking for myself and many people I grew up with, we all enjoyed wolves in the woods. Made our "woods" (Superior National Forest) just a lot more interesting and wilder than everyone else's. Spent almost 20 yrs out in the deep timber and never had a problem. Nor did my dogs.

What was the population (best guess) of wolves in MN way back then? 300? ha ha what a joke. Did anyone have a problem with wolves then? They were hunted and trapped to low levels.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In my area, we had quite a few packs. If you have a pack you have a pack. So, the population in the state was irrelvant. There are just as many wolves there then as there are today.

No, they were not trapped or hunted to low levels. They were protected. Even then.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wolves may be "interesting" or whatever but the fact is they limit and decrease our hunting opportunities. This is a fact!!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrandView

There have been no less than three attempts to delist the Great Lakes wolves. These petitions come from the USFWS. They have been rejected in court for various reasons......mostly for management plans that are questionable about continued viability of wolf populations after delisting. Much of it having to do with populations being so limited that they couldn't prevent inbreeding and subsequently couldn't sustain populations.

The most recent delisting to be revoked was for the failure of the USFWS to provide adequate public input. That's a real technicality....which they admit to. They also state that the Great Lakes populations are at levels which satisfy (and exceed as much as threefold) the recovery efforts of the involved states.

Feds are picking up the banner again with a new and improved delisting move.

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/vocuspr30/...1752&XSL=PressRelease&Cache=True

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
In my area, we had quite a few packs. If you have a pack you have a pack. So, the population in the state was irrelvant. There are just as many wolves there then as there are today.

No, they were not trapped or hunted to low levels. They were protected. Even then.

The MN wolf pop was estimated at about 700 at its lowest levels. They were always established where Brent lived.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wisconsin wolf distribution:
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/wolf_map.htm

History of wolves in wisconsin pdf:
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/pdfs/HistoryofWolves_2010.pdf

One can also read about the Clam Lake elk intro in the mid 1990s, and how they had wolf depredation close afterward, so we know there were wolves near clam Lake as early as 1995. It also has the elk loses, what to, etc. Bears appear to take about as many as wolves.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
You still got it Dpole.

I like to call it as it is once in a while. So, was that you I saw at the Grand Marais IGA I think on a friday before Fisherman's Picknic...or was it the Dragon Boat festival...no...Picknic I think....with two little kids? I shoulda stopped and asked. smile

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
No I haven't been to GM for .... better than 5 years anyways. It's been a while.

Something clever here.

M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Wolf Population Expansion in Minnesota
William Berg and Todd Fuller
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

Populations and federal status updated by IWC December
Through the early 1960s, wolf numbers were likely stable (see Minnesota Wolf Population Trend graph below). From 1953 to 1965, about 190 wolves were bountied annually, and bounty claims gradually decreased outside the main range -- suggesting that fewer wolves existed. One estimate in 1963 put Minnesota's wolf population at 350-700. After the bounty ended in 1965, wolves could still be legally trapped and hunted year-round in Minnesota. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MN DNR) records indicate that about 250 wolves were killed annually until 1974, when wolves became completely protected under the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973.

I'm going to believe those getting paid to do the work.

M
MtHtr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Wolves Kill Five Dogs In Ashland And Bayfield Counties
DNR seeks state management of species, sets up online alert system
ARTICLE | AUGUST 10, 2010 - 7:17PM | BY CLAUDIA BROMAN
Gray wolves killed 12 dogs and injured seven others across the state since the beginning of 2010, according to Bob Manwell, a spokesperson for the Wisconsin Department of Resources. Eight of the incidents involved trailing hounds, and five of the incidents occurred in Ashland and Bayfield counties.
http://ashlandcurrent.com/article/10/08/10/wolves-kill-five-dogs-ashland-and-bayfield-counties

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MtHtr
Wolves Kill Five Dogs In Ashland And Bayfield Counties
DNR seeks state management of species, sets up online alert system
ARTICLE | AUGUST 10, 2010 - 7:17PM | BY CLAUDIA BROMAN
Gray wolves killed 12 dogs and injured seven others across the state since the beginning of 2010, according to Bob Manwell, a spokesperson for the Wisconsin Department of Resources. Eight of the incidents involved trailing hounds, and five of the incidents occurred in Ashland and Bayfield counties.
http://ashlandcurrent.com/article/10/08/10/wolves-kill-five-dogs-ashland-and-bayfield-counties

Wonder how many dogs got hit by cars in 2010? ...................but hey that ain't news.

Last edited by tangozulu; 09/18/10.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

Here is what happens when the population is not controlled:

http://westinstenv.org/wildpeop/2009/02/11/wolves-reducing-elk-populations-in-montana/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/aug/28/wolves-kill-120-sheep-near-dillon-mont/

In Montana sportsmen aren't happy, fish and game people aren't happy, outdoorsmen aren't happy, and ranchers are definately not happy no matter what DPOLE says. Read the stats, some elk herds reduced by up to 70%, not to mention moose are rarely seen anymore. Wolves need to be delisted and populations reduced by either hunting or professional trappers or both. Read the article regarding the slaughter of an entire sheep herd, 120 sheep, killed for fun. None had been eaten by wolves. Just killed killed by them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seems to me the wolves were SUPPOSE to reduce the elk population. That was one of the main reasons for the introduction in the first place.............too many elk.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (7887mm08, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.