Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The topic is ok, like discussing any other piece of equipment. It's that we discuss the value of the application in the overall kit, and I admit to taking a harris with me on my first ever trip, along with many other 'luxuries', I quickly put on the... 'DO NOT TAKE AGAIN LIST'. The learning and evolving is probably what is so fun and rewarding about backpack hunting, sometimes it don't seem so fun in the middle of it... cry laugh Course the day after you get home you wish you were back out there.

For day hunting with a full pack on, that's a different story.

Just the way I go about it. If I pack in, I'm much more slow/sneaky/unobtrusive, which means more sitting and glassing from vantages and such. Why, because my range on my legs is limited to the area I'm in and I better not blow all the animals out or I've wasted all my effort. Hopefully I've scouted and know the animals in the area and have a plan. Once located, another plan is made to make the kill and over 300 yd shots are very possible with time to position and setup.

As a sidenote where I hunt, bipods seldom have enough height to get over the vegetation, few flat spots in Coues country, my tripoded bigeyes are in line usually or my pack on a rock outcropping or a steady tree branch. If a quick shot is needed past 300 then the hunt will continue for a better opportunity. Patience is something else that evolves.

The bipods may be interesting, just no one I know that BP hunts would consider it, so in this application is a nonissue.

Different methods of rests in the backcountry is interesting though.

My personal longest was a Coues deer at 420 off my bigeyes, usually my rest of choice, cause it's right there in front of me.

Kent

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
on a backback hunt that is precisely the area you NEED to be able to take a long shot. because if you are backpacking you are going to be in mountainous areas, like across a canyon or something.

Agreed. But, a longer shot is often a 250-350 yard shot when dealing with difficult terrain. When hunting mountains, I have several things I need to process before I pull the trigger.

1. If I shoot the animal, can I safely get to the animal.
2. If I shoot the animal, how long will it take me to get to the animal, and more importantly, now long will it take me to get the animal out. It can take a LONG time to go 500 yards to the next ridge over on some of the mountains I hunt.
3. If I shoot the animal, and make a poor hit at a longer range, what are the odds of me recovering the animal, if it runs 200yds down escape terrain through the thickest chit you can imagine. How much energy will I have to expend following a [bleep] blood trail to find the animal.

And lastly, but very important. If I DRT the animal, will I be able to find it once I leave my vantage point I spotted the animal at. This is especially true if you are solo and are shooting from an elevated position. Get level with the animal, and it can be very tough to find the animal, as everything looks different with an elevation change. BT/DT. Take a 400yd poke off the side of a mountain and kill a buck in a sea of blue berry bushes and mountain scrub, you better have a buddy staying at the shot sight to direct you into your buck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
The issue with that SP Bipod is that it's clearly junk. I looked at one at the sporting goods store yesterday, and it took me 3 seconds to determine it was junk. I then dropped $90 for a Lightweight Harris Bipod. Pretty damn happy with it, and I can see me taking it into the field with me.

Calvin, which model, the one with notches in the legs, or without? Did you try both?

11 oz., right?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ah, gentlemen, I've used my day pack several times to make 4-500 yd. shots. Often I have put it on a rock.
The trick is to nest into the pack in such a way as the gun is really steady. A bit of practice with your loaded day pack will make this a simple and easy thing to do.
I'd just add that taking long shots in the mountains is pretty tricky. That's because the air currents do funny things, particularly out past 400 yds. On deer class animals, that don't go far, even with a bad hit, might be one thing. But on the tougher stuff like elk ?
The other thing is the mean country. Wound something fairly tough and they will show you the worst of it before and if you find them. Guess how I learned that.
All the more reason why such shots should be given very serious consideration before attempted. E

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No argument E.

Nonetheless a light bipod has intrigue to me, and the pack I'm usually carrying (if indeed I'm even carrying a pack) isn't the greatest rest for reasons I've already stated.

Was out today bear hunting, deer scouting, shooting, and checking to see if the rains brought the chantrelles up (it did). I was traveling light- no pack, just cargo shorts. Brought what you see there plus a few little apples. The bipod was unnoticeable; it just carries that easy.

Shooting at rocks on a cutbank 490 yards away. Pelting 'em pretty good, too! smile

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I have a Stoney Point lightweight bi-pod
http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/bp_lightweight.html

It is the worst designed piece of crap I have seen in a long time.

I can put it on a rifle with the secret handshake mount.
I can set the rifle on the floor with the bi-pod.
Inside of 10 minutes the rifle will fall over.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of those bipods took it out of the package and pulled the legs apart, keep in mind less than what is in your pictures and the legs snapped apart. before I got to use it much less put it on the gun.

one thing I think is key in a bipod is being able to cant the gun because the terrain I normally shoot on is not level. this looks harder to do with one of these stoney points I supposed you could move one or the other leg in or out to accomplish it, but a harris bipod with swivel feature has no problem doing it. so I guess the only advantage I see is weight.

I think they should make this bipod with the standard hinge like on the rest of their units that do not attach, those units are my favorite bipods for coyote calling.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.