R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dave7mm
This can get wonkie...
dave

There's that word again.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can't get enough time this fall to run a bunch of tests but next spring I'll head out the door and start trying to figure this out.

IIRC its said if the complete gun rises in temp, its all ok but if the scope only gets in the sun its an issue.... I don't know that you could ever really have that situation... and knowledgeable folks keep teh complete gun at ambient temps.

Similar metals all through.. could be steel bed... steel action, steel rings and bases but what do you do about an steel scope... old weavers...

We need to go to some to some of the folks taht shoot on a daily basis or weeklye basis at 1000 F class open... and ask them too... trust me... they piddle way to much on things...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JBurns
Dave7mm,
We bed over the block in all our rifles. I was very skeptical of using just the block but I have tested several rifles and not seen a difference in the level of accuracy before bedding and after bedding. That being said all of my personal rifles are bedded in Marine Tex.

[Linked Image]

Mr.Burns.
Are the P105 rifles that you sell.
Skim bedded over the block?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by JBurns

RDFinn,
Has the group given you your opinion yet???

Relax John. All I'm saying is that I don't understand the connection between the bedding block and scope flexing/stretching from a temp change as if the action had little bearing on what you are describing. Maybe I'm not understanding it and that's entirely possible. A scope changing POI when you perform the test you described? Yes, I buy that completely or as one astute member so eloquently put it...."intuitively" (must have gotten his new copy of Readers Digest....lol Guess I'll have to spring for the 75 bucks but.....can you lend me a scope to cook..? ? ?

So I guess what you are trying to say is that when you perform this heat test on a rifle with conventional bedding there is more shift from zero than with the aluminum bedding system you are now using ? Is that correct ? If yes, you are measuring this through the Leupold collimator or something alittle more sophisticated ?

/s/ Sheepish

If he'd get off of those third tier Leupys and go to a Nightforce or S&B, problem solved

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

Yes all P105 are fully bedded.

Jwp475 meet Broken Record.

Broken Record meet jwp475.

You two have a lot in common.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
JBurns meet Lee24

Lee24 meet JBurns

You two have alot in common....

hangunnr

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ouch.
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was mean..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That was mean..

and more than a little bit unfair ..

Lee24 hid behind a screen name and had no verifiable bonafides.

J Burns posts under his real name and has a least some credentials- no matter what anyone thinks of his products or opinions.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee had to (try) to remain anonymous due to all the top secret projects he headed up for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, NASA, CIA, NSA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Grumman, FN, Army Corps of Enginners, HP, GM, BMW, Porsche NA....and that's just a snapshot of the US based companies he's led to success

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lee24 hid behind a screen name and had no verifiable bonafides.

It was all.......proprietary.

ROR.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lee had to (try) to remain anonymous due to all the top secret projects he headed up for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, NASA, CIA, NSA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Grumman, FN, Army Corps of Enginners, HP, GM, BMW, Porsche NA....and that's just a snapshot of the US based companies he's led to success

I've worked with/for six on your list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, but the difference is you most likely could prove that fact.............. grin

I have to see if I can locate Lee's claimed resume again..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hangunnr
JBurns meet Lee24

Lee24 meet JBurns

hangunnr

Touche, Oh yea JBurns tell us what balistics targeting software program that gives drops in 1/3 IPHY increaments. I know that you advertise them at 1/3 MOA, but .333 inch at 100 yards is inches per hundred yards not MOA. 1/3 MOA is .349 inches per hundred yards

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In 1976 I made an aluminum bedding block for a Remington 40XBR. I skim bedded over the block. With that rifle, point of impact still would change as the day warmed up; providing the temperature change was significant, that is. Now, 34 years later, it turns out the aluminum block was a cure for the "problem". Sadly, because I didn't even know I had a problem, the cure didn't take place. Or, maybe it did and I just didn't recognize it.
Today, I have two Model 70's with aluminum bedding blocks and three without. Darned if I can see any real performance difference. Again, I was not aware that it was scope and stock expansion differentials that caused my come-ups to vary from day to day by a click or two (does the action not play any part?)but, if it is, they all do it. You see, I had always just blamed it on varying air density and changes in ballistics due to temperature variation and was pretty happy believing that. Now, I'll be able to blame my ever-changing scope for those errant shots but I wonder if I should cast off my old ballistics beliefs or hold them in reserve in case I need them?
By the way, I've got a few steel tubed scopes, should I use these on the rifles with aluminum bedding blocks or are they best utilized on the plain glass bedded rifles? As well, I just put an aluminum scope on my new 280 and used steel bases; would I be better off switching to aluminum bases? Or, since it's a walnut stock with only glass bedding, am I just screwed anyway so shouldn't worry about it?
You know, this internet stuff really pays off. This is an old dog's opportunity to learn new tricks! GD

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hangunnr
JBurns meet Lee24

Lee24 meet JBurns

hangunnr

Low blow.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by greydog
As well, I just put an aluminum scope on my new 280 and used steel bases; would I be better off switching to aluminum bases? Or, since it's a walnut stock with only glass bedding, am I just screwed anyway so shouldn't worry about it?

That all depends on whether the sling studs are alloy or mono. grin

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I don't have a dog in this fight but the subject matter is of great interest to me so I took the time to figure out what John is trying to say. I actually believe he wrote it up somewhere but there's been such a flood of messages regarding Greybull's operation lately it's hard to point which thread contained that post. But I digress.

I'm mainly interested with external ballistics and given any properly built and bedded rifle with decent optics, mounts and ammunition, I would claim that accounts for 99% of cold bore shot precision. That said, I find the hypothesis fascinating.

All I'm saying is that I don't understand the connection between the bedding block and scope flexing/stretching from a temp change as if the action had little bearing on what you are describing.

Ok, here's John's claim in a thousand words:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm having flashbacks of Ross Perot...........

It wasn't the visualization most of us were having problems with, but rather the merit of the theory itself.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.