Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buck knives and Gerbers have always worked for me. I also have a Bear&Son Knife as a backup. Good to have some steel in your pack for just in case sharpening.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jim62
Here is a new working knife I picked up the other day.

[Linked Image]

It's one of the new Bucklite Max fixed blade drop points. This one is the B&C edition in Hunter orange.

The Kraton handle is a bit brighter than the pics shows. The OAL is 8.5" and the blade is 3.5" of cutting edge. It's made of 420HC and the knife is made in Idaho.

The blade is .010" thick at the spine and it balances on the first finger. It only weighs about 4 ounces bare and 5.5oz with the sheath.

The sheath is OK(I really don't like cordura sheaths). It has a hard plastc liner ,though to it should hold up.

I think I am going to get one of the little skelton Buck Paklite Capers , a mini steel and build a Kydex pack sheath for the set that can be taken down for cleaning.

I handled one of these yesterday. $20 at BiMart, black handle though. I wanted to get a feel for whether it felt sturdy enough to take apart an elk hip; it did. I'm gonna buy one and try it out. Thanks for the heads-up!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bought it.

Made in USA, $19.99 at BiMart, very light and seems tough.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't go wrong with a Gerber, Buck, or Schrade in no particular order, there's a lot of other good brands, these are just the ones I'm familiar with.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Of the suggestions I've read over the last 7 pages I like Buck 110, Fallkniven F1, Cold Steel Pendleton and Knives of Alaska the best. Personally, the fixed blade I carry for elk skinning duty is my Puma White Hunter. It's just PERFECT for the job. I also usually have a Buck 110 and my Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter (pendleton blade, folder) around too.

[Linked Image]

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Bought it.

from reviews - may not hold a sharp edge for long - better get a good sharpener

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I gut my deer where they fall, losing a knife for a bit of time is not uncommon in the fading light and the blood and inards. That orange handled knife is calling my name....

Mine too. I love my folding Gator, but finally someone is making a findable knife! (I painted my Gator handles safety orange last year) Actually, I think a nice neon-canary yellow would be better. My Gator hid in the blood a couple times, and with red frost-kissed blueberry leaves all around, it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Maybe a neon-purple would stand out even better. Anything other than "natural" colors. Pepto pink? White would work well in no-snow conditions.

Ditto for binoculars, (I glued neon pink reflector strip tabs on mine so they catch the eye), and a few other items the manufacturers insist on making only in black or camo. This is probably a capitalist plot - the more camo and black stuff the ds would-be hunters buy (it sells!) - and lose- the more they can sell....

There is NO reason to have your binocs, spotting scopes, knife handles, canteens, etc. in a black, much less camo pattern.

Last edited by las; 10/16/10.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That Puma White Hunter is the worst knife I have ever owned. A big price tag doesn't necessarily make for a practical hunting knife. I know what they are worth - or rather being charged for - but when someone offered me $15 bucks for it, I took it! I absolutely hated that POS. And yes - I tried it as a moose and caribou skinner. Ill- balanced, and way too heavy unless you carry it around on a mule or ATV. IMHO. I'd rather carry that 2 lb. , 14 inch blade "Bowie" down at the local AC store - at least it would chop small trees....

My WH came "free" with a remote-cabin purchase, so I figure I made $15, rather than "lost" the much bigger bucks. And it's gone, gone, GONE! smile smile I actually threw it away once - but then figured - Naw , I can get some sucker to buy this if I mark it down enough.

Milage may vary..... smile

Last edited by las; 10/17/10.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well, we all know what opinions are like.

To me the White Hunter is a beautiful knife, expertly made, tough and takes a great edge. I skinned a big cow elk with it and it gave me yeoman's duty. I would probably opt to use my Buck 110 more often these days, but the OP asked about a fixed blade and that's the only one I've used to skin an elk with.

I like those orange handled Bucks for skinning duty too. At least half the time you'll probably be doing it in the dark so it's nice to have those hi-viz handles. I also like how bright things stand out when you're giving a camp site that last once-over to be sure you got everything before moving on. You'll never miss anything blaze orange!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BareBack_Jack

BBJ, if you've had other knives break I'm not so sure that a Dozier or Dozier copy is going to be your best option. I have several Doziers and while they certainly are superb cutters they have pretty thin blade sections and are more likely to break under other than pure cutting than some other tougher knives.

I would strongly recommend a Fallkniven F-1 or any one of several Bark River Knives for your purposes. Both are renowned for their toughness and cutting performance. You might read up about them over at Knifeforums or the like. There are quite a few reveiws of them on you-tube as well. They are a little more than $100, usually under $120 which I think in the end is better money spent. A $115 that lasts for the rest of your life is cheaper than a $55 knife that breaks...........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by azcoues
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Bought it.

from reviews - may not hold a sharp edge for long - better get a good sharpener

Interesting. Didn't get to skin an elk with it. I'll try it on deer, perhaps.

I use a Lansky sharpener. Very easy.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For my needs, a fixed-blade, drop point with a lightweight synthetic handle would be ideal. Doesn't need to be pretty, but it shouldn't freeze may hands when handling it bare-handed in the cold. Also shouldn't be slippery when wet and needs to hold an edge.

I have several knives I take hunting, none of which completely fit that description. Last knife I bought was a drop point at the tourist trap stores in YellowStone National Park several years ago. Cheap and from China but it works well, just which the handle material was different.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like this one. I made it myself. Just had to show it off!

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,662
Posts18,474,682
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.