Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I think the biggest thing in the original question that I would consider is whether you need to be choosing a TSX based on the best accuracy of the choices. At the distances (speeds) where the TSX is most ideal, that accuracy may not be needed assuming we're not talking 1 1/2" vs 3" or something. If indeed we're splitting hairs with loads comparing accuracies of 5/8" vs 1" or something along those lines and we're looking at distances where one might actually need such precision differences, then I think I'd opt for a bullet that has a greater likelihood of expanding well out yonder, while also being sufficiently tough at nearer distances. I really think it is as easy to wrongly choose too hard a bullet because of great accuracy as it is to choose too soft a bullet for the same reason. If all you're trying to do is place a shot at 200 yards though, use whatever bullet you like. The extra accuracy probably won't matter a whit, and neither will the bullet you choose. The original Xs proved that you don't need super-duper accuracy to get the job done.

Klik �

I agree. Accuracy is a relative thing and better than �good enough� isn�t necessary. Most of my rifles will put handloads into an inch or so ant that is much better than �good enough� out to 600 yards, the limit of my regular practice and beyond where I would attempt a shot at game except perhaps in the rare occasion where getting closer isn�t feasible and circumstances are almost perfect.

As to bullet choice, I think it is fairly easy to choose an inappropriate bullet, particularly when going with cup-and-cores. Too hard and too slow can result in pencil-through wounds, too soft and too fast often results in excessive meat loss. It is just as easy, however, to choose a bullet that is appropriate for all common ranges, from muzzle contact distance to 600 yards and further � although such bullets generally cost more.

The limited experience I�ve had with Grand Slams (20+ years worth with multiple shooters, antelope to elk) made me a believer in their efficiency. Same thing with Partitions, although I never pulled the trigger on one personally. Both the Grand Slams and Partitions have been more tha �good enough� in the accuracy department in my rifles. Since 2003-2004 my main hunting buddy and I have been using Trophy Bonded and North Fork. Accuracy has been stellar with both. We have yet to recover a Trophy Bonded, but the North Fork bullets look about the same whether recovered from an elk shot broadside from 10 paces or from dirt at 500 yards.

A bad experience with Barnes XLC�s and an unfortunate antelope kept me from ever trying TSX on game, even though they were exquisitely accurate � in my Roberts, for example, they had a propensity to shoot the centers out of clay pigeons at 200 yards and leave the rest of the pigeon intact. Any expansion issues seem to have been fixed with the tipped versions, the MRX and TTSX. My son-in-law dropped an antelope straight down at close range with a 168g TTSX from a .30-06 and I dropped another straight down with the same bullet and a .308 Win at about 125 yards. One antelope went 20 yards or so after I shot it with a 100g TTSX at 300 yards and two mulie does went straight down to 180g MRX on frontal shots at a little over 300 yards. All were pass-thru shots and meat loss was minimal.

I can�t say for sure how the 120g A-Frames I load for my Roberts will perform, but based on results with the North Fork and Trophy Bonded, which have similar front ends (bonded), it seems reasonable to expect similar performance. The A-Frames have also provided outstanding accuracy.

In a few minutes I�ll be headed to the range to make final adjustment to my three .30-06s for the upcoming antelope hunt. The loads I�ll start with are 150g Ballistic Tips, which I�ve used for load development and zeroing. Then I�ll switch to 150 AccuBonds which so far seem to shoot identically. The AccuBonds will likely be what my nephews use in a couple weeks (although they can use any rifle in the safe, their choice). I�ll either do the same or use my 6.5-06AI and 130g Scirocco II�s. If the AccuBonds perform well I�ll continue to use them but if they perform as their derisive �Accubomb� appellation would indicate, I�ve got a couple boxes of plinking bullets. Same with the Scirocco II�s. Time will tell.

As to the original poster, I�d suggest using TTSX or MRX rather than TSX, problem solved.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've killed a bunch of Georgia whitetails with 168 TSX's in front of a max load of Varget from my .308 over the last 3 years.
They work.
The attached pic is the exit from a doe this past season.

Attached Images
168_TSX_Doe.jpg (82.29 KB, 303 downloads)
Last edited by SakoL61R; 09/27/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waaaay over-penetration, for sure..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,246
Posts18,504,631
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.