-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about any caliber that one man can carry up a mountain with 10 rounds of ammo, shoot off hand, over 35 caliber and can walk down the mountain under his own power.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I call it anything with a bore from 375 on up. I call my 9.3's (.366's)medium bores.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I am old fashioned I guess, because I call a 375 a medium bore

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Me, too! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the classification of stopping rifles by "old sarge"

http://ezine.nitroexpress.info/NickuduFiles/Members-PDF/Oldsarge.pdf

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is there a practical point to the question or are you conducting an opinion survey?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is no definable definition of "big bore", its all opinnion. Some have set rules as to what small, medium, and big bores are, but with what authority I have no idea, nor do they. There are calibers by defination and they graduate in size by caliber. smile

IMO, what difference does it make what you call your caliber?, nothing changes.

Last edited by atkinsonhunting; 10/03/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the problem with caliber designations is running into rounds like a 50-95 Winchester......its a 50 cal but was designed as an express round for deer sized game, light bullets at "express velocities" the British and Continental made similar chambered rifles......express rifles were for red stag and such nitro express were for dangerous game generally speaking...which is where the energy component mentioned earlier comes in....for the sake of this forum however woudnt bug me if someone started up a discussion on the 50-95 Win anymore than the 9.3 threads bug me.....if i aint interested in teh subject i dont click, have run across many interesting threads on this site that werent under the "right" subforum.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Ray, I was told years ago, when you were a much younger hunter, that a "BIG BORE" was anything .40 caliber and larger in a rifle. Some people in the states call a .375H&H a Big Bore! Those in Europe say this is not correct, I personally don't care one way or another. I have several ant they all have a purpose in my hunting agenda.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's my take on it, also.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I consider the 375 H&H up a big bore as it is the legal minimum on dangerous game in Africa and it's usually what the rifle manufacturers define as a big bore. Made for one heck of a reality shock when I read John Taylor's "African Rifles and Cartidges" and learned my 375 was a medium bore, not even a medium-big bore, just medium.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The legal minimum doesn't mean "big bore" a 375 is still just a medium bore and it is legal. The bore diameter must be big and a 375 bore ain't big

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JWP-475......You are correct! I do like the .40 caliber and above for the discription of a "BIG BORE RIFLE" and the .375H&H falls into the soup with the .338, .358 calibers, as you stated prior, a medium bore caliber period.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The .45 Colt is a big bore and available in rifles, but not many people would refer to it as a big bore and it certainly doesn't come to mind when we think about big bore rifles. When we think big bore, we think power. I feel the definition of big bore is .375 magnum and up.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just out of curiosity, what's the point of the "bore" designation - i.e. "small bore", "medium bore", and "big bore"? If there is no generally accepted world standard, then the name means nothing ... much like "magnum", which has effectively lost all meaning as far as I'm concerned.

The cartridge is the cartridge, and no amount of nomenclature is going to change that.

In Africa, for instance, they don't say "only big bores allowed" ... they tell you exactly what cartridges are acceptable. That alone tells me that the "bore designation" has lost all practical meaning.

but that's just my conjecture on the topic ... not meant to stir up a hornet's nest.

-WGM-
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The nomenclature likely dates to the days of the gauge designations 4 bore, 6 bore, etc. A big bore was probably anything above the size normally used for shooting birds.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt that the nomenclature used to mean something, and was relevant at the time ... However it seems rather ambiguous these days making it a practically useless designation in these modern times ... That's all I was getting at ...

-WGM-
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I agree with you. If there was a clear definition, someone would be able to reference it in some recognized document.

Since rifles are referenced in caliber, and shotguns in bore (old english) that's kinda where I drew my conclusion.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shane ... your thoughts on the matter make the most sense to me ... always good to have you chime in.

-WGM-
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Several years ago I purchased a copy of "Big Bores", a Wolfe publication. In it, Al Miller, then the chief editor of it's magazines, wrote that he acknowledged that the term meant different things to different people, but you have to start somewhere, so he started with .350-caliber.

In starting my blogs called "BIG BORES", I started where he did, at .350-caliber but added this caveat: 4000 ft-lbs of K.E.at the muzzle as a minimum.

From there it looks like this:

Light Big Bores: .358" to .366"

Medium Big Bores: .375"

Medium-Heavy Big Bores: .410 to .423"

Heavy Big Bores: .458" to .485"

Extra-Heavy Big Bores: .505" on up!

That was completely arbitrary, but it gave me a framework with which I could work. YMMV.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.