Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Funniest thing is when guys bring thier daughter's or wives arena/gykhana horse elk hunting and then use a riding saddle with the Colorado type paniers that fit over them. Usually the horse has never seen them, they get packed unbalanced and over loaded.The bags are way down low so they are pressing on the horses sides into the ribs and the horse is struggling to catch it's breath, maintain it's balance from the uneven loads, and when they do stop to give the horse a breather ,the poor thing's legs are quivering with exhaustion

Some horses and owner/operators are unprepared for hunting trips. That's for sure.

I've met folks from outside that talk about their daughter's barrel horse, and her pole bending horse, and then her jumping horse, and so on. Each activity with a different horse.

Up here they have to do everything. We barrel race, pole bend, rope, trail ride, hunt, pack meat on the same horse. Sometimes in the same week.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
You are right there Jayco.I get a lot of entertainment every year form folks bringing flat land stock to CO and using it.

Wonder what you do when you have 150 lb elk quarter and a llama that can only pack 90 lbs.

A good mule is 10 times better than good horse, but a bad mule is 100 worse than a bad horse.

Well I bone all the meat out.Meat goes out in one trip,then go back for the gear.Course I realize a lot of folks do not like to walk so a Mule or horse would work better for them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So what about gender in a mule, does it matter? Are you more likely to have a male give you problems than a female? I get that every animal is an individual, but does gender play a role?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes gender maks a difference, but it is usually the individual animals temperment.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just can't help myself, one great uncle ran the remount station @ 9 mile, raised mules & was an "old Time" cowboy, grandad taught me to pack both, I've packed for outfitters & owned both horses & mules so here's my opinion..... Both have a place & I love them both in their place. I like to pack mules better than horses & if I have a choice, I'll ride a horse both in the mountains & cowboying. Mules seem to get into less trouble as a rule, but they have more personality quirks. I have bought horses from the flatlanders that we turned into pretty good mountain horses, but they are both much better when raised in the rough country. I never could rope as good as Ray, but I've been on enough good horses that they are my preferred transportation. This is sort of like an argument between Ford, Chevy, & Dodge owners -- kinda funny.
MC
Oh, by the way, I went to high school with some of the Cheff kids (long long ago) and they were tough enough they didn't really need mules.

marty
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Make friends with your ass...for it will bear your burdens.

Anonymous,and probably for good reason!

Last edited by 257Rob; 10/26/10.

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My partners of the last 30 years own both mules and horses. I'd personally favor a well trained mule over a horse any day. Pound for pound, mules can carry a bit more, and are less inclined to spook and instigate a total wreck. A couple have left a dead horse in the wilds, but never a mule.

Most long string packers I've seen in the wilderness run a string of mules and ride a horse.

1Minute
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.