Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Went and visited my semi-local gunshop today. Made it over to the used rack. First thing that popped out was a beautiful SxS. I kinda tilted over and looked at the tag...Winchester 21, Skeet edition 16ga with a straight grip.......$7500. Wow...

It was the FIRST 21 I have ever seen and it was pristine. Beautiful curly figured gloss stocks; deep, rich, spotless bluing. Sharp checking and tight machining...

It was gorgeous.

I don't really keep up with shotguns as much as others but man, that was a sight. I didn't even have my phone, let alone a camera, or I would have snapped some shots to share.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In my opinion the finest American made side by side.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love those Model 21's and would like to own a 16 gauge, but the price is too high for what I am willing to pay now. I have owned this 12 gauge for quite a few years now (and realize I am fortunate to have it).

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have only used a 21 once. An insane man put a 20 ga pigeon grade in my hands to kill a suspected rabid skunk with at a field trial. I damn near died.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I managed to buy a 16 gauge 21 from a small auction house for an absolute steal... its by no means a beauty queen but it was never terribly abused either... its just seen some hunting... likewise feel fortunate to be in the right place at the right time... I also bought a very rare configuration of a Savage 99 for pennies on the dollar... estate of a smart gun collector and apparently none at the auction...

not the best pics but here are a few of the 21... nice wood like most...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You don't see too many with double triggers not the splinter forearm... this a pretty early one... first year of production as I recall...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

this one really shows the bumps and bruises she has seen over the years but still a nice piece of walnut...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lovemy99; 10/17/10.

Andrew
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was bitten by the 21 bug also. Probably one of the best shotguns ever produced in the U.S. or the World for that matter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cartod; 10/17/10.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful shotguns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might have a problem..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Were they made in single and double trigger versions?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The early guns had double triggers and extractors (like mine), later they came with a single trigger and ejectors.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lovemy99, your pictures don't do the gun justice. But it's an easy fix. Because you put a dark object on a white background, the camera thinks the subject of the picture is that white sheet. Look at all the detail you see in the sheet, every fold, wrinkle, even the threads. But the gun? Not so much, just a dark shape. Put the gun on a DARK background, preferably in natural light. You'll be surprised at the results. Look at cartod's pictures compared to yours.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually use a dark towel and some natural light but I was in a hurry that evening... this gun has seen some use... bluing is probably only 70%. I keep pondering whether to have it restored or not...

Andrew
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
21s are extremely nice shotguns. I once had a woman come into the shop and ask for skeet ammo. I asked where she planned to shoot in case the range required steel, which the range she had in mind did. I then asked her if her shotgun was safe for steel and she said she didn't know, but it was out in the car. She came in with a mint 20ga Model 21 skeet gun.

I told her that it really wasn't suitable for steel, skeet chokes notwithstanding. I offered to trade it for any two shotguns we had in the house, but she declined. "I inherited it from my father. My sister got the Parker."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smart girl... if daddy had that gun... she can afford bismuth...

I would HATE to consider shooting at a range that required steel... when I have shot nearly a flat of shells a few times before with the cost difference it would not be nearly as much fun smile

Andrew
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I prefer the older model 21s like lovemy99's 16 with the "arrow panels" on the reciever, and double triggers. And that gun looks like somebody actually thought it was for HUNTING! I like that, too. Super find!

BTW, I was just reading James Wilson's Winchester book and saw that he calls the Model 24 an "economy version of the 21."

I LIKE the Model 24, especially the 16. BUT it really has NOTHING to do with the 21 except also being a double shotgun made by Winchester.

The 24's reciever and other parts were made with automotive manufacturing technology that Winchester bought and adapted to gunmaking. The Model 37 "Steelbilt" single shot was made with the same machinery and you can see the resemblance if you put the two models side-by-side.

This myth of a relationship between the 21 and the 24 has been an excuse to jack up the price of the 24 in the past. Unless a 24 is in PERFECT condition, it is merely a useful hunting gun, not a collector's item IMO. But it is a better gun than some SxS snobs would have you believe--reliable and well balanced, if a little heavy for guage. Barrels and chokes are as good as any Winchester made, except for custom jobs. Yeah, it's ugly, especially when you put it next to a 21. (So don't!).

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got a Model 23, which is a good hunting gun. As the 24s and the 21s, it's a bit heavy, but just about all American made guns are. They were made for toting in the field, not for some servant handing it to you just before a shot, like English guns.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I'd bet an American 21 or a 24, for that matter, would stay on face a lot longer than their English cousins.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gene L
I've got a Model 23, which is a good hunting gun. As the 24s and the 21s, it's a bit heavy, but just about all American made guns are. They were made for toting in the field, not for some servant handing it to you just before a shot, like English guns.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I'd bet an American 21 or a 24, for that matter, would stay on face a lot longer than their English cousins.
I did not know the 23 was American made.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Model 21 is one of the strongest, best made American doubles of all time, but (to me) just doesn't measure up in the looks department.

It is far, far ahead of the Model 24 (which is one of the ugliest quality double shotguns made)....but far behind other classic boxlock doubles such as the A.H. Fox and Parker. While very well made, the Model 21 just doesn't have that graceful, sculpted look that I love. I put it in the same calss (on looks alone) as the Ithaca's and even the Stevens double guns.

Of course I am partial to sidelock doubles and consider the L.C. Smith to be top of the heap as far as good looks. Even though they are not considered "best" grade American doubles (and probably are NOT as well made as the top guns), I always thought the Crescent Arms doubles were among the most graceful, pretty doubles made in America.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Believe the 23 was made in Japan. I could be wrong of course.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dew
Believe the 23 was made in Japan. I could be wrong of course.

Nope, you are right, made in Japan - fine quality, but not made in New Haven.

Archibald Rutledge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 20 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,123
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.