Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As I said earlier almost every offensive play has an element of deception designed into the play. Every good coach has several trick plays in the playbook. Even if you never use them they are great for breaking the blah's of practice sessions.

Every kid on that field, on both sides of the ball, learned a valuable life lesson.

Many trick plays are in reality illegal and are designed to trick officials as well as the opposing team. Such as the center sneak, where the center pretends to snap the ball to the quarterback. The QB has to do a good job of acting like he has just fumbled the snap while the center dives into the endzone from 1-2 yards out and pretends he has just recovered a fumble in the endzone. It is illegal, but done a lot and no one knows the better.

I could agree about being mad at a coach for teaching illegal plays, but not this one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by double tap
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by ford8n
It was a great play. A legal one at that. Get over it.

I feel the same way. Life is full of disappointments, and you can get quite a few participating in sports. Paying attention is key, and the defense got caught with their pants around their ankles.
There's a lot of plays over the century+ of football that have been forgotten, or rarely seen. An Oklahoma loss to a 'hook and ladder' comes to mind........

We've all seen well orchestrated plays between college or pro teams that caught the opposing team off guard and resulted in a game-winning score or other big gain. These involve adult players and adult coaches who are all typically well-versed in the rules and strategy of the game.

This particular play seems to involve an "adult" coach who "out-smarted" a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds. Yeah, great play...

I'd rather teach my kids that gains are best acheived through hard work and skill rather than trickery and deceit.

Chris

Yep! A hook and ladder, a statue of liberty...trick plays, but all withing the confines of the game...not a simulated dead ball situation. Subtle differences lost on those that think a trick play is a trick play, and that this is no different from running a double reverse. Can't explain it to those that think that way, and you said it best. These are kids who are just learning the game...this didn't involve any football, or any slick coaching. It involved a coach playing a trick on young kids, not outsmarting the other coach. Again, to some, the difference is lost.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
when i saw the highlights on the news here tonight you can hear the coach yell the ball needs to moved 5 yards. the Qback then got the ball and started counting off the yards before he took off running. the defense thought he was just doing what the coach ask him to do

This is the type play that causes a new rule to be written to stop it. There's all kinds of rules to prevent "simulating" things for trickery.

When a team runs a double reverse, or a statute of liberty, or whatever, the play has started, and you have to defend the entire field until the whistle...this play is designed to trick the other team in to not playing football.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, glad I'm into Irish dance competition. Don't have these problems. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Life is full of "trick plays" and I am glad I was exposed to them young in life. My kids were always taught that "life is not fair". Yea, it sucks but so does losing.

Last edited by Cartod; 11/08/10.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Bet the defense can read "sign" better now.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cartod
Yea, it sucks but so does loosing.

WTF is "loosing"? Dude... Is that what happened to your teeth before they fell out?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Yea, it sucks but so does loosing.

WTF is "loosing"? Dude... Is that what happened to your teeth before they fell out?
Yea, thats what happened tough guy. I dont spell real well either, but I will give you my address smile

"Dude"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Playaz turn'n Tricks on da' feild makes'em nutt'n but a bunch a TURF HO's. Gunna gets em Pimp slapped on da naxt play fo doing what dey did....... cool

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Life is full of "trick plays" and I am glad I was exposed to them young in life. My kids were always taught that "life is not fair". Yea, it sucks but so does loosing.

As I said, some won't get it? And it's just a pee wee game. Still, that coach that pulled the trick...probably a great hit with all his kids, and a real "looser" to everyone else. But, as long as he won right? That's the whole object when you're working with kids...teach them to win at all costs.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Life is full of "trick plays" and I am glad I was exposed to them young in life. My kids were always taught that "life is not fair". Yea, it sucks but so does loosing.

As I said, some won't get it? And it's just a pee wee game. Still, that coach that pulled the trick...probably a great hit with all his kids, and a real "looser" to everyone else. But, as long as he won right? That's the whole object when you're working with kids...teach them to win at all costs.
If you see a Pee Wee you are looking down. I see a Jr. high team that just got scored on. Maybe we should quit keeping score for you and your Pee Wee's.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't care what anyone says, that was a GREAT call by the team that ran the "trick play" ... and here's why:

Any play that is legal and within the rules of the game is acceptable and appropriate.

If you're not using everything within the rules of the game to your advantage, you're leaving something on the table. Sometimes the other team might be able to out-muscle you no matter how hard you try ... but that doesn't mean you're "chicken schitt" for using your brains to beat them ...

Now, at that level of football, I can see how some might think it would be inappropriate to run such a play ... but that begs the question of where you draw the line. Is a fake field goal too 'tricky'? What about the kind of play where a team kicks off to another, and the guy that catches the ball "meets up" with the other back and they "huddle" for a moment and then split up, making the kicking team have to figure out who has the ball?

As for the specific play in this thread, the defense that just sat there and watched the QB walk thru them with the ball is either VERY poorly coached, brain-dead, or both ... IMHO it's the coach of the other team that is most at fault for not making sure his players know that once the offense is 'set', and the ball is moved off the ground that it's a live ball, and you better be doing something to stop the guy with the ball ...

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jim ... "poor sportsmanship" is when you hit someone late out of bounds on purpose because you're pissed, losing, or trying to hurt a star player to knock them out of the game so that you have a better chance of winning. Poor sportsmanship is not greeting the other team after the game to say "good game" or whatever they say these days ... Poor sportsmanship is doing something outside of the rules when you know it's wrong, just to gain some kind of advantage you wouldn't otherwise have ...

This "trick play" is not poor sportsmanship in ANY way - not by the coach that called the play, and not by his players for running it. What they did was completely legal, and the only people that should be upset are the kids on defense and their coaches for not being prepared and/or knowing that the ball was in play when the center just handed it to the QB ...

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PS ...

Jim ... there's a reason that they keep score in football games ...

-WGM-
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Trey... You are wrong... Sorry... I know it happens very rarely but...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you see a Pee Wee you are looking down. I see a Jr. high team that just got scored on.

You have some serious issues. E courage aint hard to come by. You've now started [bleep] with me, and I haven't personally attacked you.

I disagree that it's a good play, but it's my opinion. It's legal, as stated...bush league too. Real bush league.

You? You're a piece of [bleep].

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Trey... You are wrong... Sorry... I know it happens very rarely but...

How so, Bart? I'm willing to listen to an argument other than "it's bush league" ... since that's only a matter of opinion ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, as you said, it's legal. I agree...just think it's bush league. Simple as that. A Jr. High team falling for it doesn't mean they're poorly coached or brain dead...that part I disagree with. Some coaches think about this type of crap all the time...others think about coaching their kids the game. The ones that think about tricking others are probably more prepared to react to tricks. As I said, some "tricks" are within the spirit of the game, some are simply within the rules. When you trick the team as to where the ball is during live play, that's one thing...when you trick them in to not playing...it means to me, you can't play with them straight up.

But yes, it's legal.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just reading about another trick play that, when first used, baffled the defense.

They called it the "projectile pass" but it came to be more commonly known as the forward pass.

That video was funny as could be. I'm forwarding it on to Coach Pete, maybe we'll use it next year at the Rose Bowl...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you see a Pee Wee you are looking down. I see a Jr. high team that just got scored on.

You have some serious issues. E courage aint hard to come by. You've now started [bleep] with me, and I haven't personally attacked you.

I disagree that it's a good play, but it's my opinion. It's legal, as stated...bush league too. Real bush league.

You? You're a piece of [bleep].

Cartod- I believe this is the point you make the wife comment on .280Rem as you did Bart?

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (673, 450yukon, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 20 invisible), 1,332 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,871
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.