Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JMR40
Just another version of one of the oldest plays in the book.

Quarterback sneak.

In the interview, they thought the QB would get hit and hoped for 5 yds to make 1st down.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I say do over. Defense caught napping and the whining starts.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The important thing is they lost.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what you get when you stand in front of Earl Cambell grin

As long an the trick play is within the rules, hey, suck it up.
Anyone remember Dan Marino faking the spike? Wonderful.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildbill59
I say do over. Defense caught napping and the whining starts.

Actually, I've not heard that the opposing school or coach said anything,and they won the game as well. It's just folks commenting on what they see. Bush league, pure and simple.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
If my excuse was "well, but, coach, the other team's coach was saying that they needed to move the ball, and I listened to him and didn't do anything like I was coached by you to do, like hit the ball carrier when the ball moved and the whistle hadn't blown"...

I'd likely still be doing push-ups.

Here's a little hint: coaches at all levels are supposed to come up plays, calls, schemes, and sequences that fool or outsmart the other team and coach. Thus, different routes, blocking schemes, blitzes, formations, coverages, etc.

"Trick" plays are part of the game, and if the other team sticks to fundamentals, they don't work. If you go lax, or start hedging, or backing off fundamentals, then "trick" plays have a chance.

Do your job, follow through on your assignments, stay grounded to the fundamentals, and stay focused on the game, at all times, and you don't have to worry about "trick" plays.

Sean,

If you think a coach, an adult, even the opposing coach yelling at 13 year old kids wouldn't make one hesitate at the very least...we'll just have to disagree. Call it "poor coaching" if you want. I disagree. Schitty move, bottom line. Glad they lost. Bush league move netting you face time on tv...but you still lost the game...great! What if the QB or coaches were "illegals"?

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll ask again ... at what age/level is it that you deem it appropriate to use "trickery"?

to be fair, I already defined it for myself ... once you have real teams, with real officials on the field, keeping score, and a team is named "champion" at the end of the season ... well, if it's within the rules, it's fair game, perfectly ethical/moral, and you should be prepared for it.

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of tricks reminds me of the time a guy told me he was going to kick my rear so I sorta covered up but he hit me upside my head. I never did figure out if that was some kind of trick to throw me off guard or if he just didn't know what he was doing. Hurt, anyway.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Jim;

So what if they were Norwegians or North Dakotans? I fail to see the relevance of that part of your statement.

As to the play; it was legal, and within the rules. The D-Line should have reacted to the snap, the ILB lit his ass up, and the safety closed in.

Outside of that, it's simply sour grapes on the play.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim;

So what if they were Norwegians or North Dakotans? I fail to see the relevance of that part of your statement.

As to the play; it was legal, and within the rules. The D-Line should have reacted to the snap, the ILB lit his ass up, and the safety closed in.

Outside of that, it's simply sour grapes on the play.

No sour grapes here. Didn't happen to me or my team. That team didn't lose. JMHO, YMMV. Legal but Bush league.

The "illegals" thing is brought up in other stuff...just thought I'd take a poke with it. whistle

Last edited by .280Rem; 11/09/10.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WGM
I'll ask again ... at what age/level is it that you deem it appropriate to use "trickery"?

All this talk about the chillrren got me to thinking, it wouldn't surprise me to find some NFL players aren't even as smart as the average 14 year old boy.

It was a trick play. It was perfectly legal according to the rules of the game. Everybody learned something. Including the other coach.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
"Bush league" because it was unorthodox?

I'll take that, and having it work every day over "classic" and failing.

Figure Tressel @ tofu is the later category, and you see what happens.

Of course, I'm a Lombardi fan, too. "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

Again, YMMV...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Of course, I'm a Lombardi fan, too. "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

Again, YMMV...

For young kids, some of lifes most important lessons happen when they lose...be it a football game or a toy or a pet there's valuable lessons to be learned.

At young ages there is far more to the game than winning.imo

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Bush league" because it was unorthodox?

I'll take that, and having it work every day over "classic" and failing.

Figure Tressel @ tofu is the later category, and you see what happens.

Again, YMMV...

Bush league because it is. Adult tricks kids. Legal, simple, Bush league. If you or others find the valuable life and football lessons in it...ok. 2 camps here...I ain't leaving mine. Not much help for your camp with the "winning is everything" stance when they didn't win.

War Damn Eagle!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Adult tricked other adult. Coach called play; other coach didn't react. Of course, kids pulled play off against other kids, so I guess kids tricked kids, too.

No, they didn't win, but they left everything LEGAL on the field, and damned if they didn't try.

I kind of had a thought THAT was a lesson in life, but YMMV...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sean... You are wrong about this...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nope, not even.

But, you can think so it you want to.

A whole lot went on there, and it says much about many levels of the game and life.

Personally, losing when being outfoxed within the rules don't fret me, I don't ask for a do-over, and I don't whine that it wasn't "conventional"; I try to learn from it.

It would appear that many have mileage that varies.

The "trick" coach did nothing outside the rules; nothing illegal; nothing "wrong. Hell, he didn't even expect it to work.

It did work, and folks are fretted that it worked because it "ain't natural".

Well, hell, neither was passing the ball forward at one time; but it was legal, and it worked.

The defense was asleep, and didn't react. Had they done so, I can tell you that as a former safety I'd have LOVED to have had a stand-up shot at a walking, nonchalant QB with no traffic between us. The D didn't do it's job, and the O pulled a legal rabbit.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shame on the opposing coach for not having his D jump at the first sign of ball movement.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess that since I've been a Pop Warner coach excludes me form being anything but a casual observer... If I was a coach on the offence, I'd be very ashamed about what my head coach just did...I'd never teach this in practice because snap counts and getting off of the ball are way more important than this kind of trick... Again... You are wrong...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nope, far from wrong.

Of course, if I were the defensive coach, and my team didn't react to the ball being snapped, I'd be damned ashamed of what I (wasn't) coaching them, too.

Fundamentals, Bart. THAT's what it comes down to on the defensive side of the ball. The offense could have taken the field in hula skirts, wearing flaming tiaras and go-go boots... it wouldn't have mattered if the defense had paid attention to the ball, the whistle, and HIT the ball carrier.

Pure and simple fundamentals on defense lapsed.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.