Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
well yea,we teach the basics,but we do have an amazingly talented group of young men playing for us.we have 10 year olds running the veer like WV.

Ain't saying much....

I haven't watched much WVU football this season, but if I'm not mistaken, they don't even run the veer.

I meant when they ran it well,way back when,we run it real good anyway,good enough to have a 23 game winning streak,while playing everybody on the team.

Pretty sure they just run a zone read (a la Rich Rod's team) out of multiple shotgun formations, similar to what Oregon also runs.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do have to wonder what it is the coaches here are teaching their defensive linemen to react to, though.

When the play is blown live and set, and the lines get down into position, there are TWO possibilities.

The first is that the officials will whistle the play dead before the ball moves. When that happens, the lines stand up, and the ball is NOT lifted by the center. The officials then make their call, and the OFFICIALS then reposition the ball if it needs to be respotted.

The only other possibility is that the center lifts the ball to start the play. At that time, regardless of direction, movement, positioning, etc., when the center lifts the ball, the defensive line reacts to the ball being lifted and surges forward toward the offensive line and the ball carrier.

Those are the only two options.

So, when that ball was lifted by the center, the defensive line should have reacted to that lift. Didn't matter if it went between his legs, over his shoulder or into his mouth... When that ball leaves the ground in the center's hand, the defensive line hits the offensive line and goes for the ball-carrier.

I've seen 8 and 9 year-old kids coached and react that way; everytime the center lifts the ball, the d-line surges. Period.

Fundamentals, and THAT is about the base fundamental for defense. Ball gets lifted by the center means GO! And, that ball is ALL the defensive line reacts to; nothing else.

We do ball drills with sprints a couple of times a week. Tell them watch the ball, ball only. Move only on the ball. The we set out to fool them with hard counts, and fool them in to relaxing when say "ok guys relax" after they've been specifically told what the drill is, and they've done it before, and you STILL will fool a good percentage in to either jumping on a sound, or relaxing when you tell them to. THEY'RE 13 YEARS OLD...THEY'RE EASY TO FOOL! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASY! It's not a challenge Sean, and I question if you've ever coached at this level. You can't possibly believe what you're saying about it being "pure fundamentals" if you've coached kids at this age. And like someone else pointed out...you NEVER see this play at the higher levels. Why? The kids are more football savvy...have been around longer...are just plain older...have developed a field awareness. There may have been players on that field that hadn't played before that season. So you can call it "fundamental defense" if you want...there was NOTHING fundamental about the play.

You've made it clear Sean that you believe that properly coached 13 year old kid can't be fooled like this. Didn't Bart and I tell you that you're wrong on this? And you continue to argue? You've been told you're wrong, now agree!

grin

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
well yea,we teach the basics,but we do have an amazingly talented group of young men playing for us.we have 10 year olds running the veer like WV.

Ain't saying much....

I haven't watched much WVU football this season, but if I'm not mistaken, they don't even run the veer.

Pretty sure they just run a zone read (a la Rich Rod's team) out of multiple shotgun formations, similar to what Oregon also runs.

Don't know if WVU is running veer...Rich Rod is almost pure zone read, but lots of teams are running variations of veer out of the gun. Florida, Auburn, TCU, Nebraska all are now. TCU has for a while. Florida too.

War Damn Eagle!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sports is not just about athleticism.... it is about using your brian and your strength.... if the other team cannot use their brain then it is their fault the play worked....

Football is not just about some 300 lb thug pushing someone around....

Is it wrong a teams to use the clock to their advantage? What does stopping a clock or letting one run out have to do with Athleticism? Nothing... it is smart football....

Any play that you can fool your appoinent and score is a good play.... Do you complain about a reverse? is it not ment to mislead the other team? Was this playnotmenat to mislead the other team....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako
Sports is not just about athleticism.... it is about using your brian and your strength.... if the other team cannot use their brain then it is their fault the play worked....

Football is not just about some 300 lb thug pushing someone around....

Is it wrong a teams to use the clock to their advantage? What does stopping a clock or letting one run out have to do with Athleticism? Nothing... it is smart football....

Any play that you can fool your appoinent and score is a good play.... Do you complain about a reverse? is it not ment to mislead the other team? Was this playnotmenat to mislead the other team....

Yes, we've all heard, "as long as it's legal, a trick play is a trick play".

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually Sean in this instance I don't think admitting you're wrong is a strong enough punishment.

I think you should type I'm wrong on 500 different posts on this thread.

mebbe that'll teach you a lesson about forming your own opinions!

uh best start typing, you got a long day ahead of you pard

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Not a chance.

As the "coach" has spoken as to what they train kids to do, and what they are supposed to do.

So, THANK YOU for proving my point.

The "trick" play wouldn't have worked if the kids had 1) been coached what to do, and 2) done what they were coached.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Randy-

I'm think Sean is more likely to add to his sig line:

I Play Bush League!

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I've played in enough bush to qualify for said....

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well played, Sean ... well played.

-WGM-
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Knew you'd take the bait! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hard headed son of a gun I ain't seen one "I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking forming my own opinion"

bob is gonna be some kind of pizzed when he gets here....jest sayin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With all due respect for the coaches here, my little girl started 10 and under softball this last season, where the girls pitch instead of coach pitch.

Of course, they aren't too accurate so there are a lot of walks (and many hit batters - another hard lesson for a ten year old)

And of course there are the pass balls, and stealing bases is allowed - much more prevelent than the "big leagues"

Yet the coaches take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to advance runners and many times I've seen double digit scores with only 1 or 2 hits per team.

But that is how the game goes. If you can steal - steal. If you know the weak arms are in the outfield - then run and challenge the throw - even if its so disproportionately not-that-way in the "real world"

Frankly, the sportsmanship is important. It includes behaving like gentlemen when the other side takes advantage of your weaknesses to an excess.

And I seen some of the coaches upset that they got the poop abused out of them, but they dealt with it in a sportsmanlike fashion and trained their girls harder.

Don't like the trick play - than coach your kids accordingly.

Sean isn't wrong here. There's winners and losers. And rules are rules.

Sportsmanship as a contributor to growing up is learning how to deal with the short straw - even if you got it the hard way.

I hope the coaches teach kids how to deal with that, as well as winning gracefully.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Your baseball analogy is irrelevant nonsense.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

To those that believe a reverse is no different a trick play than this bullschit...it's not irrelevant. General thinking among these folks is "if it's within the rules, it's ok". I wonder if they feel that way about everything in life? I suspect not, and suspect that most making that argument don't apply that standard to everything and everybody.

War Damn Eagle!

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

General thinking among these folks is "if it's within the rules, it's ok". I wonder if they feel that way about everything in life? I suspect not, and suspect that most making that argument don't apply that standard to everything and everybody.

So now we are going to equate the game to everything in life? Kind of makes the point to expect the unexpected or the unfair or the unjust more than ever, now doesn't it?

And its a softball analogy. It's relevant. When kids don't understand the rules about when to tag runners, or when you can tag bases, OR perhaps when to HIT THE BALL RUNNER crossing the line of scrimmage, and coaches are exploiting that, then its relevant.

And its the way the game goes.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by RWE

So now we are going to equate the game to everything in life? Kind of makes the point to expect the unexpected or the unfair or the unjust more than ever, now doesn't it?

And its a softball analogy. It's relevant. When kids don't understand the rules about when to tag runners, or when you can tag bases, OR perhaps when to HIT THE BALL RUNNER crossing the line of scrimmage, and coaches are exploiting that, then its relevant.

And its the way the game goes.

I should just shut up and let it go, but...

As a softball coach, I can assure you there have been MANY times I have held our girls from stealing or taking extra bases when we have been way out in front of the other team. Walks are walks, so you can't refuse to advance on a walk, but there are certainly other times when, just because you can advance does not mean you should.

Yes, I do believe sports and sportsmanship teaches life lessons, and I'd rather teach honor and integrity than how to mercilessly pummel and humiliate your opponent. I have even seen our high school coaches hold runners when they could easily advance. If you have coaches who take pride in scoring at every opportunity, even when easily beating an opposing team, I'd suggest they are not very successful "coaches" at all.

Frankly, it's just as important to teach kids how to win with honor as it is to teach them to lose with dignity.

Chris

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you think the play was unethical you need a big dose of reality. If we were talking about 8-9 year old kids playing youth ball with a volunteer coach I'd agree.

By the time they are in 7th-8th grade you play for real. Not good enough, you get cut or ride the pine. The coach isn't volunteering his time. It is his job, and he is paid to win games. Don't win, you look for another job.

Think this is unethical. Wait until you have your best 7th grader recruited by the town 20 miles down the road because one of their booster club members offered his single mom a great job and a free apartment. Then they talk mom into having her "A" student repeat the 7th grade, twice. This way he can be a 20 Y/O senior, along with all their other 20 Y/O seniors and 19 year old juniors and so on. The worst part is having to play against him for the next 7 years.

Don't think this is going on and you are living on Fantasy Island. You use every edge that is legal to win. If someone thinks it is unethical, then we deal with it when they change the rules. Versions of that play have been around for decades and no one but a few guys on this forum seem to have a problem with it.

To paraphrase Lou Holtz. A football coach has one job. To win games. As long as you are winning your enemies cannot touch you. When you are losing your friends cannot help you. That applies all the way down to coaches of middle school teams. I've seen a lot of "nice guy" coaches that lost their jobs because the team didn't make the playoff's 2 years in a row.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You can vote on Oreilly if this was a Pinhead or a Patriot Play....go down about 3/4 on the page to Pinhead or Patriot...!

http://billoreilly.com/#

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nothing chickensh1t about it. The other team wasn't coached well enough to react at the movement of the football and cream the other QB.

Trick plays only work if the opponent doesn't do what their responsible to do. Like crush a QB walking across the line of scrimmage w/ no blockers.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.