Hop To
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
I won't argue with jayco, who knows more about killin' elk than I do

Well Bob..This isn't a lawyer visions a couple weeks a year versus a logger's experiences year around, is it... grin
Jayco

No Jayco,absolutely not..... I meant it...I bow to superior knowledge in these matters.It just is not in the cards for me to know/see what you have seen.....because I do not have the experience you do. smile

I admit the 300's are more gun than any 7mm because they shoot heavier bullets with more frontal area;they hit hard,too.....but I can't shoot them and carry them like I did when I was in my 30's,so for me it's gotta be a 7mm from now on....I'll just shoot the best bullets I can, and try to point it straight.

Just cause I'm a lawyer, does not mean I'm dumb....I don't argue with Idaho woodsmen when it comes to elk calibers grin wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What makes it interesting is when two guys who've both seen many many elk die, disagree 180�. That's what keeps me scratching my head- two experts in sometimes complete opposition.

So many variables....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Any appreciable difference, near or far? Thanks!

Not when a quality bullet is placed in the correct location, all the Elk will do is go straight down

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bob

Unlike most of the people here,I still want to learn and have learning to do, and I have been doing it for years.Once anything gets boring,I quit doing it.That was my point on the Ray A post but it went South to the tons of people with more experience than him..Yeah right.

Hunting is for food only for me.I have never spent .10 cents on a guide or packing it out.I still prefer the pre '75 rules in Idaho everywhere,any Elk and I chose Cows,if I had the choice for the table,now it's Spikes if I have the choice.

Back on topic...Only from what I have seen,the 7MM does not impress me.

The 7MM could "Maybe" have handled this "Legal" Idaho Wolf. grin

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Why switch when you know your 325 does a great job??

It's not a switch... I'd lose a rifle that is primarily an elk rifle but would work ok for mule deer and antelope.... But gain a rifle that would primarily be for mule deer and antelope but would work ok for elk. And that's a rifle I'd like to have this next couple seasons. Got some deer and 'lope points I'm going to cash in on.

So my perception is that I'd be downgrading my Montana a bit as an elk rifle, going from .325 WSM to 7WSM but I'm all ears. I'd love to come away convinced that the 7wsm is fully the equal. smile

It's a rifle shuffle basically and ties into other rifles I already have. I'll spare you the details <g>.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/20/10.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My wife has an oray of rifles to choose from to hunt with, yet her favorite Elk rifle is her 8MM Mauser.She smacked her last Elk dead with the measly factory ammo offered.It's a smacker and if I had a modern version of the 8MM aka 325 Mag..I wouldn't change a thing.

Just my opinion based on seeing what the 8MM can do.

Jayco

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of the points I've strongly drawn from the 'fire over the years, is that if a hunt goes south, don't blame the headstamp. Just saying Jeff, maybe don't get too wrapped around the axle about which one is "idealer" on elk, and do what you want to do knowing it'll work out fine.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff- You seriously think about this stuff way too much. You know either would work for either type of hunt. If you want to try it, try it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 7WSM is a lesser Elk rifle?

JFC..

Many a successful hunter has reported that killing critters is the easy part, something that sails WAAAAY over Jeffy's head.

In the meantime, we'll have 10 pages of him pulling his hair out over what to do with a rifle.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I would say go with the 7 saum rather than the wsm since you will probably be handloading for either one, I just like the saum better in a short action feeding wise. However, I just bought another 270wsm in a Winchester Extreme Weather, which does almost exactly the same thing that my current 7mm saum does. Just because I wanted one.

My wife thinks I am nuts. I can't disagree.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by logcutter
Bob

Unlike most of the people here,I still want to learn and have learning to do, and I have been doing it for years.Once anything gets boring,I quit doing it.That was my point on the Ray A post but it went South to the tons of people with more experience than him..Yeah right.

Hunting is for food only for me.I have never spent .10 cents on a guide or packing it out.I still prefer the pre '75 rules in Idaho everywhere,any Elk and I chose Cows,if I had the choice for the table,now it's Spikes if I have the choice.

Back on topic...Only from what I have seen,the 7MM does not impress me.

The 7MM could "Maybe" have handled this "Legal" Idaho Wolf. grin

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Holy Crap please don't tell me wolves get that phuggin big. I can only imagine the havoc a pack of those things does on anything living in their area. Great Photo

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Oldelkhunter

Not to take away from this thread and to answer your question..They do..Here is another Idaho Wolf taken legally by the teenager watching the Wildlife agent do his thing.

Can you imagine a pack of these after your kiester..

[Linked Image]

Just to stay on topic here.A good friends wife got in the middle of a pack of Wolves after a treed Bobcat and she was carrying a 7MM Mag..To make a long story short,she ran out of bullets but then again,so would the .300 Win Mag.

I now carry my 45 acp with a 10 round clip along hunting.Off to watch Mantracker. grinI think Bob ad I could beet him.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Stick a good bullet in a good place and good things will happen is my motto..<g>

The one problemo I face as I mature (ok I turned mid life 52 the other day) is that the bigger rounds aren't as much fun as they used to be in terms of recoil. Especially for a rig that I will carry and at a weight I'll carry where I hunt elk. I refuse to do brakes on a gun and I more and more want nothing to do with a 9 lb or more all up rifle in the locale where I hunt elk.

Yup and yup.

Don't forget to get your prostate checked. 4 months to 60, will never have prostate problems again...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
What makes it interesting is when two guys who've both seen many many elk die, disagree 180�. That's what keeps me scratching my head- two experts in sometimes complete opposition.

So many variables....

I guess you cant read between lines...

Their both telling you both calibers will work..

By the way, You have interjected numerous times that money is tight..

Take the guns you have and JUST GO HUNTING.....

My wife says I have a hard time making decisions, She should meet you...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Dead is dead.

Anyone that doesn't believe a 7 Mag or WSM won't kill an elk as far out as a person should be shooting is just flat out wrong.

Pick a decent bullet and put it in the boiler room for very predictable results.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I know both will work.

It's 11 months till hunting season. I'm into rifles. I'd like to have my idea of "the" open-country rifle when I cash in 11 years of deer points here soon. I've got FIVE bona-fide elk rifles ('06, two .325's, .338, 300WM). I'm just exploring how to get from where I am, to where I'd like to be in 11 months.

Sheesh man! Since when we don't overthink rifles here?! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think thats the problem, you really do "overthink" rifles.

You have an '06 and a 300 whiz mag and you think you dont have an "open country" rifle?

A 150 grain TSX(grin) in the 300 and what do you think you would be missing? IS there a flatter shooting rig? I dont want to hear about some ballistic chart that says 3/10ths of an inch at 400 yards either..

For the record, I'm as crazy as you. I'm ready to grab another .243 when I all ready have one. This one will be my varmint/target gun. Really, like the first .243 couldnt do that..

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My 300WM is a Sendero with a big scope. Good rifle, and it'll make the trip, but in my perfect world I'll also have a very light, very accurate 7wsm or the like.

But yes, a man with a 30-06 doesn't "need" anything. grin

Right now I'm exploring the idea of retubing my Montana vs. buying another and retubing it, basically. Trying to figure out what I might lose in the process- if anything- on elk taking it from .325 to 7WSM.

I blame Bob and Dober <grin>.....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff, didn't your mom ever tell you just because Bob has a mashburn; that doesn't mean you need to have one grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol....

Dober is like "The Pusher" with that Mash reamer... now he's converted Bob, lord help us, two of the good guys ganging up, next thing you know it'll be .223AI vs. 7Mash....... smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 27 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,732
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.