Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Funny thing is- I'll still own a .325! I got two of 'em.

Well what the heck are you waitin' for, buddy?! Turn that Montana into a 7WSM and get on with load development and LR practicing!

You still have another .325 just in case everything goes awry, so there's no risk involved wink

Yeah! I'm gonna. Given the season and weather and so on there's no huge time crunch so I'm gonna be rational about it.... first is bobbing the .338 and making sure it still shoots. Chit... if not, if bobbing it kills the accuracy, then maybe the thing to do is rebarrel THAT rifle to a long-action 7mm and keep the Montana whole. But that's unlikely. It'll still shoot....

Pac Nor is usually pretty quick in the winter so as long as I get it to them in December I bet I get it back by February. My prime shooting time is March-June so that'll work.

My other .325 is a BLR so it's not really the same as a bolt gun. OTOH with a 200-TSX that's pure elk death in the timber, a lever action .325, and it's plenty accurate out to 400+ so...

I have them surrounded, as Bob put it so well the other day <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Well, Jeff, the equation is pretty simple. You have several rifles that are optimal as an elk rifle, including 2 in .325.
You arguably have no rifles that are optimal as a long range deer rifle. Even if the medium bores were optimal, there is a gap in your arsenal on the small bore end, so simply as a matter of balance you need a 6.5 or a 7mm.
My arsenal is almost entirely between 6mm and 7mm. And I would shoot elk with any of them.
You may have a pronghorn or sheep hunt in your future, so you need something smaller. It aint right to shoot pronghorn with a .338. Just sayin...

It is obvious from this post tha McMurph is a highly evolved and intelligent individual.......... cool smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I don't about all THAT ... grin... but he did put forth one heck of a summary/conclusion, and with my convoluted "reasoning" to draw from that's no small feat! grin

Gettin' the .338 bobbed next week. Moving forward. Woohoo!!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
....... Moving forward. Woohoo!!

Thank gawd,jeff....you are tough!....I'm exhausted....... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm gonna. Given the season and weather and so on there's no huge time crunch so I'm gonna be rational about it....

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are, that right there

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol. Guilty as charged.

What I mean is, I'm going to bob the .338 first, shoot it, evaluate the result, then do what makes rational sense from there. If it still shoots and I like the balance ([bleep] is seriously snout-heavy now) then I move forward with rebarreling the Montana. If not, I'll keep the kimber intact as my elk primary, for which it ROCKS, and retube the .338 as a 7mm something. Which would be a whole exercise in mental masturbation in itself so let's root for the .338 still shooting <g>!

If I did end up retubing the .338 I'd just have to go
Mashburn. All the cool kids are doing it........

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going Mashburn, now you are really coming around...<g>

Come on cut that thing and get it over with. You'll be getting subliminal messages nightly till you do...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Lol. Guilty as charged.

What I mean is, I'm going to bob the .338 first, shoot it, evaluate the result, then do what makes rational sense from there. If it still shoots and I like the balance ([bleep] is seriously snout-heavy now) then I move forward with rebarreling the Montana. If not, I'll keep the kimber intact as my elk primary, for which it ROCKS, and retube the .338 as a 7mm something. Which would be a whole exercise in mental masturbation in itself so let's root for the .338 still shooting <g>!

If I did end up retubing the .338 I'd just have to go
Mashburn. All the cool kids are doing it........

I do not care for a barrel heavy rifle as a general purpose/hunting rifle. I wqant a well ballanced rifle

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't mind a little bit front-heavy but only a little.

My .338 shoots so good that I've tried like heck to love it as-is, but it just ain't working. Putting my 22" 30-06 into the .338's stock last night was a revelation. It felt much, much better.

I prefer short tubes. When I rebarreled my '06 I went 22", and chose 20" on my .358. I ended up with a 26" .338 because that's all Rem offered, and then the damn thing was so eager to please I've been scared to mess with it. But no more. That last 3" of barrel is going DOWN.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, my .338 WM is built on a Remington-made '03 action with a 23" Douglas premium barrel. It balances just right! I think that you will like the barrel minus three inches.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In the early 1960s Les Bowman decreed that the 7mm Rem Mag was about as good an elk rifle as a person could get. Thats credible as far as I'm concerned.

There are more powerful rifles available today but elk are the same and so is the 7 Rem Mag. To me elk and the 7RM go together like bacon and eggs. No need for anything bigger but if a guy wants to go bigger theres no reason not to.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've shot them with every thing from a .270 to a .358STA and still have the opinion that it is more important where you hit them than with what you hit them. I have guided/outfitted here in CO for 32 years and have got to be in on shooting a few elk. My advice to clients has always been bring what you shoot white tails with, but I prefer a 7-08 as a minimum. A magnum is fine, if a man is accustomed to shooting one and can handle the recoil. I don't think there is any real advantage to a magnum until you start getting out past 400 yards. I've seen several elk taken with little guns, like the .243, and they worked just fine as long as the shot was broad side into the boiler room, no shoulder shots with the little ones. There is way too much macho internet BS about "needing" magnums to kill elk. That said, I am a real fan of the 7 mag as a great rounder for everything from prairie dogs to elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wonder where is the spot on the elk that the 7MM won�t work but a 338 will work?

Elk shot in the chest with the 7s die quickly and elk shot in the guts with the 338 need another shot.

I just got back from 9 days with the Milligan Brand crowd and we killed 4 elk with 5 shots from 270yds to 670yds. Hits in the vitals kill the bulls and less recoil is a good thing.

The idea of using the biggest cartridge you shoot well is a little misguided in my opinion. Use the minimum that will kill the bull with the shots you will take and you will shoot better and be way more effective.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
The idea of using the biggest cartridge you shoot well is a little misguided in my opinion. Use the minimum that will kill the bull with the shots you will take and you will shoot better and be way more effective.

Seems to me that if you shoot a bigger cartridge well (as opposed to not-so-well or even poorly), you gain very little if anything by dropping down to the minimum cartridge that will do the job �for the shots you take�. If things go wrong, as sometimes happens, a bigger cartridge with a heavier bullet might buy you extra penetration when it is needed.

Cheap insurance in my mind. Guess it comes down to what you mean by "shoot well" - doesn't sound like the same definition I have.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/26/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I would prefer the .325 if I were hunting where bear might be involved, or just in general on elk but that's just me. I wouldn't trust any 7mm on a big bruin, but I've known plenty of hunters who have taken a lot of elk with .270 or less powerful rifles.

"I didn't get these scars falling over in church"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I always wonder where is the spot on the elk that the 7MM won�t work but a 338 will work?

Elk shot in the chest with the 7s die quickly and elk shot in the guts with the 338 need another shot

I just got back from 9 days with the Milligan Brand crowd and we killed 4 elk with 5 shots from 270yds to 670yds. Hits in the vitals kill the bulls and less recoil is a good thing.

I agree, put the bullet in the heart or lungs and it is a done deal.

I don't know of any cartridge that makes up for bad bullet placement

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you would have to shoot a lot of elk to be able to tell the difference. As for the Ballistic tables and programs. Well those are all math guesses. Till you shoot your rifle and loads at those extended ranges you will not know for sure. They are nothing more than a guide to what you might expect. Shoot what you want and build what you want. I when back to the 7mm Remington Mag some years back due to the fact it was the barrel on the Blaser I wanted. Before that my second center fire rifle I bought with my own money was a Remington 700 BDL in 1969. Shot it well and killed some good game with it then I when on a 36 year chase for the purple dragon. And well I ended up back were I pretty much started. If common sense had anything to do with this sport, I would be shooting a 30-06 and a fix 4x and that would be that. But were would the fun be in that? We mess with rifles and endless cartridges and loads because we enjoy it. Besides it would be a very boring way to go thru life.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I agree, put the bullet in the heart or lungs and it is a done deal.

I don't know of any cartridge that makes up for bad bullet placement

The minimum cartridge that will do the job �for the shots you take�, or at least most of the shots I have taken on elk would be my .22-250 if it were legal in this state. Thanks, but no thanks. I much prefer my 7mm RM with 160 grains or one of my .30�s with 165-180 grain bullets. Since I shoot all of them well (or at least well enough to pop a clay pigeon at 600 with the .300 WM the last trip to the range before elk season), I see no advantage to going smaller. I�m even cautious with my .257 Roberts and 120g A-Frames.

In all the years I�ve been hunting I�ve only had one animal move as I shot, and in that instance I was very glad I had a bullet (140g North Fork) that could penetrate the length of a mule deer, as it needed to do to reach the vitals. A lighter (or more fragile) bullet might very well have resulted in a wounded and lost animal.

I am not suggesting you need a .375 RUM for elk, just that I think there is a reasonable place between the minimum that will do the job under normal circumstances and the maximums. Placement comes first, as always, but placement is not always as intended and heavier bullets can sometimes do what lighter bullets cannot when it comes to penetration.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Huh...what heavier cal than 340 was he using and kind of a test was he doing to sort this out?

And yeah, I recall Bob liking the .340. For some reason or another after meeting him I gravitated to both the Mash and the .340...grin

Also, what do you like for more bullet mass on elk than what the .340 has to offer? I shot the 275's a fair bit but mainly on chucks/yotes etc.

Dober

Yea, I went up the scale to a 340 B because of Ross Seyfried and Hagel; I even had a 375 Mashburn for awhile which hit as hard as the B but wasn't quite as flat. My limited elk number--eleven--were all taken with the big "B" with the exception of one with an '06 and one with a 45-70 so my perspective is very narrow. That said, it seems Ive taken proportionately more at long range as four were over the quarter mile mark--the 340 B slams 'em there.

But my next elk jaunt, Lord-willing, will be with a 6.5 lb 284.

Don't worry Jeff O, be happy. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyotehunter,

I never qualified my statement �for the shots you take� with the word �most�, that was your mistake to try and make a point. wink

I would never choose a cartridge that was adequate for �most of the shots� and I never said as much.

I understand you have a burr under your saddle regarding me but try and stick to what I say as opposed to what you wish I said.

I can�t imagine a bad shot on an animal being fixed with more penetration. There has to be vitals at the end of the penetration to make it work.

Pick the lightest recoiling cartridge/bullet combination that will always get to the vitals with the shots you will take and you will be the most effective.

I also imagine we have a different opinion of �shoot well�. Seeing as I get down to Loveland quite often we could meet at the range and compare our definitions of �shoot well�?? smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 905 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.