Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Coyotehunter,

I never qualified my statement �for the shots you take� with the word �most�, that was your mistake to try and make a point. wink

I would never choose a cartridge that was adequate for �most of the shots� and I never said as much.

I understand you have a burr under your saddle regarding me but try and stick to what I say as opposed to what you wish I said.

I can�t imagine a bad shot on an animal being fixed with more penetration. There has to be vitals at the end of the penetration to make it work.

Pick the lightest recoiling cartridge/bullet combination that will always get to the vitals with the shots you will take and you will be the most effective.

I also imagine we have a different opinion of �shoot well�. Seeing as I get down to Loveland quite often we could meet at the range and compare our definitions of �shoot well�?? smile

John �

You won�t find the word �most� anywhere in my original response to your post.

In my response to jwp475 what I said was �The minimum cartridge that will do the job �for the shots you take�, or at least most of the shots I have taken on elk would be my .22-250 if it were legal in this state. Thanks, but no thanks.�

Your claim was:
Use the minimum [cartridge] that will kill the bull with the shots you will take and you will shoot better and be way more effective.

In other words, for *** most of the shots I have taken on elk ***, my .22-250 would have been preferable to my 7mm RM or other, larger cartridges per your reasoning. Would I really have been �way more effective� if I had shot a .22-250 instead of my 7mm RM, .30-06s, .300WM or .45-70 for those shots? In a word, �No�.

Additional penetration may or may not fix a bad shot. Clearly, shooting an animal in the hoof with a .378 WBY isn�t going to have the desired effect. A couple years back I had a quartering away shot go bad when the buck moved as the trigger broke and I was thankful not only for the penetration my 7mm RM provided but also for the organ destroying energy the 140g North Fork retained when it reached the vitals. A lighter bullet from a smaller cartridge may or may not have reached the vitals, something we can never know. One thing we do know is a smaller cartridge would not have performed any better, no matter how well I could shoot it. I�ll bet on the side of caution, you are welcome to do otherwise.

I stuck to what you said and qualified my response to jwp475 only with regards to the shots I have personally taken. I don�t �have a burr under your [my] saddle� regarding you but both you and John Barsness do seem to have pretty thin skin when someone disagrees with you.

And yes, if you can get to my range (east of Kiowa), I�d love to shoot with you. Further, I have no doubt you can shoot better than I can.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote hunter,

My point is simply that bad shots from big guns will require another shot. There really is no insurance factor from the larger calibers (above 7mm Mag) that will make any appreciable difference, in my opinion. You may or may not agree.

The bigger guns are more difficult to shoot and therefore a hunter is more likely to have a bad shot. You may or may not agree.

By reducing the recoil a hunter will be able to take and make shots not possible with the hard recoiling cartridges. Most of us can shoot the big guns well enough for most of the shots taken but my point is to use precision to make the tough shots not power to make up for a bad shot.

When choosing a cartridge/bullet combination I would recommend picking precision over power.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rogue
I'm all shot out of AMAXs right now or I'd throw up comparisions. My 7 RemMag and 7 Shamwow don't let me kiss lands with either bullet loaded in the magizines. So it's no big deal. The Amax is a very accurate bullet in both the above and the 280.

I can't wait to try it! I tried the 75-gn in my 1:9 .223 and got NO love, but that's probably twist or just an anomoly.

I should be able to spec "kissing lands" at an overall length that fits my magazine. I'll just send them a dummy round. The big bummer would be if the ogives of the two bullets (160-NAB and 162-AMAX) were in a really different place. Well, there's time to
suss that one out..,

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

You do understand the AMAX will open faster and penetrate less bone than a VLD??

I don�t think it will be a problem but AMAXs are simply cup and core with the addition of the plastic tip that initiates expansion on contact.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the AMAX but you seemed concerned about using the VLDs on elk.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The bigger guns are more difficult to shoot and therefore a hunter is more likely to have a bad shot. You may or may not agree.

By reducing the recoil a hunter will be able to take and make shots not possible with the hard recoiling cartridges. Most of us can shoot the big guns well enough for most of the shots taken but my point is to use precision to make the tough shots not power to make up for a bad shot.

When choosing a cartridge/bullet combination I would recommend picking precision over power.
+1 ...Ive seen a boat load of hunters miss using "big magnum's" over the yrs from the recoil alone. 25yr experienced outfitter in Alberta told me last year,...'I'd rather my hunter's bring a 7-08 rather than a 300win mag because I have seen lot less misses with lighter recoil rifles.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by slg888

+1 ...Ive seen a boat load of hunters miss using "big magnum's" over the yrs from the recoil alone. 25yr experienced outfitter in Alberta told me last year,...'I'd rather my hunter's bring a 7-08 rather than a 300win mag because I have seen lot less misses with lighter recoil rifles.

We've all read that in the gun rags, that's why the 30-06 is so popular.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+2 That was the point I was trying to make earlier, and why I recommended to my clients to use their whitetail deer rifles. I used muzzle brakes on most of my larger magnums so I could shoot more accurately. I'm just not real big on recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
muzzle brakes SUCK

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
...... My question about the 7mag was never "will it", but rather just trying to get my brain around what degradation, if any, I'd see stepping down from basically 8mag to 7mag...

I don't know how a person quantifies that....at least from a standpoint you can measure,and I mean terminally,(not wind drift,trajectory, etc),in terms of effect on animals because emperically we know,through our own experiences and those of others,that both "kill",effectively, humanely.

In our minds we all want the animal down and dead as completely and quickly as possible so we look very hard for a combination that does this all the time,but we find after awhile that there is no combination that does it consistently, thoroughly,and abruptly every single time.

This is because we look for things that throw animals to the ground, swats them,like a club,and that is not what a rifle does,although we see it happen at times......JOC once wrote that a rifle is a tool designed to administer a surgical function at a distance....following that line of thought, a bullet becomes a scalpel,not a battering ram....

..bullet weight, diameter,striking velocity,placement and construction all affect the size of the wound and the rifle allows us to "do the surgery"where it does the most good.Large calibers throw bigger scalpals,in theory creating larger wound channels, but the thing to focus on, in my mind anyway,is not what "advantage"the bullet has in weight and frontal area as it flies toward an animal(although this is important in getting on target),but rather what advantage in weight and frontal area does it hold after it hits, how does it behave,and what kind of wound does it inflict(?)

A perfect example is what JB posted on another thread on Elmer Keith,and his use of lousy,heavy bullets from a 333 OKH in Africa,on animals he'd have killed well and cleanly with a 30/06 and 180 Partitions.Elmer spent a lot of time chasing animals because the big bullets broke up without doing enough damage in the right place...to Elmer the answer was "bigger bullets" because African animals are "tough"...is that lethal effect(or a lack of it)that we can "measure"?

I dunno.... smile

Another good post Bob! Flingin' scalpels... I like that.

You know though, I do feel like that in my .358 I have a rifle that truly does hammer our relatively small deer down in a way I haven't seen other cartridges provide in the same way. Plus, the "big" scalpel is typically moving slower than the small, fast scalpel. Velocity kills- but it does it by really tearing up meat, or at least the potential for that seems greater. A big chunk of bullet, in this case a .35, at 2500 fps is both very... authoritative while not costing you a half a deer if you shoot through shoulders <g>.

Whether a cartridge that has similar effect on a bull elk while still having tolerable recoil even exists, I have no idea. I think those of us carrying .338's and .325's and so on, would like to THINK our rifles are like that. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...... My question about the 7mag was never "will it", but rather just trying to get my brain around what degradation, if any, I'd see stepping down from basically 8mag to 7mag...

I don't know how a person quantifies that....at least from a standpoint you can measure,and I mean terminally,(not wind drift,trajectory, etc),in terms of effect on animals because emperically we know,through our own experiences and those of others,that both "kill",effectively, humanely.

In our minds we all want the animal down and dead as completely and quickly as possible so we look very hard for a combination that does this all the time,but we find after awhile that there is no combination that does it consistently, thoroughly,and abruptly every single time.

This is because we look for things that throw animals to the ground, swats them,like a club,and that is not what a rifle does,although we see it happen at times......JOC once wrote that a rifle is a tool designed to administer a surgical function at a distance....following that line of thought, a bullet becomes a scalpel,not a battering ram....

..bullet weight, diameter,striking velocity,placement and construction all affect the size of the wound and the rifle allows us to "do the surgery"where it does the most good.Large calibers throw bigger scalpals,in theory creating larger wound channels, but the thing to focus on, in my mind anyway,is not what "advantage"the bullet has in weight and frontal area as it flies toward an animal(although this is important in getting on target),but rather what advantage in weight and frontal area does it hold after it hits, how does it behave,and what kind of wound does it inflict(?)

A perfect example is what JB posted on another thread on Elmer Keith,and his use of lousy,heavy bullets from a 333 OKH in Africa,on animals he'd have killed well and cleanly with a 30/06 and 180 Partitions.Elmer spent a lot of time chasing animals because the big bullets broke up without doing enough damage in the right place...to Elmer the answer was "bigger bullets" because African animals are "tough"...is that lethal effect(or a lack of it)that we can "measure"?

I dunno.... smile

You know though, I do feel like that in my .358 I have a rifle that truly does hammer our relatively small deer down in a way I haven't seen other cartridges provide in the same way. Plus, the "big" scalpel is typically moving slower than the small, fast scalpel. Velocity kills- but it does it by really tearing up meat, or at least the potential for that seems greater. A big chunk of bullet, in this case a .35, at 2500 fps is both very... authoritative while not costing you a half a deer if you shoot through shoulders <g>.

Whether a cartridge that has similar effect on a bull elk while still having tolerable recoil even exists, I have no idea. I think those of us carrying .338's and .325's and so on, would like to THINK our rifles are like that. smile

I have no qualms with my 338 wm. It puts the elk down with authority and is very manageable.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff,

You do understand the AMAX will open faster and penetrate less bone than a VLD??

I don�t think it will be a problem but AMAXs are simply cup and core with the addition of the plastic tip that initiates expansion on contact.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the AMAX but you seemed concerned about using the VLDs on elk.

Thanks, yeah I know that. Rogue and I are are kind of wandering off-topic here. I'm interested in the Amax as a target and LR deer bullet. Not for elk (for me anyway). I'll likely run the 160-gn Accubond for that.

Or my .338 <grin>...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I dunno.... smile

I have no qualms with my 338 wm. It puts the elk down with authority and is very manageable.

That's been my hunting buddy Jerry's experience on a few elk. One shot, DRT, exit wound.

I love my .338. I'm as excited to get it into "woods trim" as I am about retubing the Kimber! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, one should simply realize quickly at the shooting range weather their rifle is to much gun for them to shoot accurately at 200 or 300 yards. It that is the case, you simply go down the ladder in caliber. I myself could not handle the .338 Win mag when I tipped the scales at 146.5 or 157-lbs. It took 20 years for my bones to add the additonal poundage needed to cope with added recoil of the .338 Win mag.

Now at 215 to 235 I have had no problem negotiating recoil of my .338's in mag & Ultra mag caliber. If I did, I would drop back down to the 7mm magnum which will put down big elk just as well as the .338 caliber does, just that the animal never shows as much information about being hit as with the .338 or .375H&H etc. The .338 caliber is my go to elk caliber in a model 70 Winchester.

My wife does very well with her 7mm mag (model 70 Winchester) and is now able to shoot the 175 grn bullets without any pain or problems. She used he Nosler 160 grn Partitions in years passed with excellent results on deer and elk. Also have the .338/06 for her but she has adopted a fondness of that stainless 7mm mag with the Mag N Port barrel.

Last edited by Tonk; 11/27/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tonk: Good post!

Jeff: You can fling deer around with anything....they are just no hard to kill....elk are hard to fling around with anything....some guys even use 375's....not a thing in the world wrong with that.

If I lived in Washington or Oreegun,hunted those Roosevelts in the jungle,or Afognak with the brown bears,I'd skip all the small stuff and shoot a 375 grin

And if someone shows up with a 375 AI or a 338 RUM, or a 300 Weatherby,I say more power to them....just don't tell me they are required or make up for lousy shooting,because they don't....

But we can't convince G&G, the both of them,of that....elk are large enough that if you hit them wrong with anything,you have a problem....they are in that class of game that requires precision, because you do not overwhelm them with horsepower and sloppy hits....

As for shooting throgh trees and killing elk,well as the man said, shidt happens.....and we are all entitled to get lucky now and then. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I would never argue against precision, but it's a simple statement of fact that elk vitals are a beeeg target. Bears remembering, as we split the RCH's finer and finer here. smile

BTW- I am saying, I have seen .358 be markedly "best", for how/what/where I hunt... over a half-dozen catridges. So deer may be easy to kill, but there's other considerations too. Blood trail. Meat loss. Do you give up shot angles. Etc. On balance I like .358 best. And that ain't never not a good thing, never not! (Big Stick is on the prowl, lol)...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lil Fish is on the run

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John the truck looks good with all those elk in it.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

Thanks it was a close call as we were hunting Ray�s Colorado ground and it had been hammered. No snow and no elk movement.

I bet Ray was down 50 bulls from normal year and when the snow hits those guys are gonna have fun.

We ended up killing 4 out of 6 guys but I am used to 100% at Milligans.

3 VLDs through the shoulders from 270yds to 670yds and one through the ribs at 400yds.

Pete shot his bull twice because it let him but both Ray's and my bull put their nose in the dirt so fast all I saw was legs in the air after the shot.

Ray also killed a great old mulie at 750yds and it dropped to the shot. All in all a really good trip with good guys.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lil Fish is on the run

I like that one. Keep him that way John. I've got the sorry sob on ignore. I agree with Bob, looks like you had fun hunting those elk, bsa.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 7 STW
muzzle brakes SUCK

Yes, they do, but they do work to reduce recoil. That said I am contemplating some work in AK and a Kimber Montana in .338 for the job. I once had a .458 Winny I had thought to bring up there and used it without a brake, so the .338 will feel much more comfortable in comparison.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 18 invisible), 1,096 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.