-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's all in the stock with those heavy kickers.

GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My Sendero II kicks harder than it seems like it should oughta.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree the stock has a big effect on felt recoil. The straight comb classic type stocks seem to work best for me. I'm surprised that Sendero would feel like it kicks hard. The last one I looked at seemed to have plenty of heft and a good stock design. Jeff O what is it chambered in? Maybe it does kick hard.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
300 win mag. It's pretty sharp.

It's notable because it's a much heavier rifle than anything else I have, so I'd have expected it to be pretty tame..

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Pete shot his bull twice because it let him but both Ray's and my bull put their nose in the dirt so fast all I saw was legs in the air after the shot.

Ray also killed a great old mulie at 750yds and it dropped to the shot. All in all a really good trip with good guys.

John did you use the 264? What were the others shooting for calibers?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
My Sendero II kicks harder than it seems like it should oughta.

Because it's a 300 magonumb smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

I was shooting that 264 you shot. One shot through the shoulder at 670yds and all I saw when the gun came back was legs in air.

Ray, Craig, and Pete were all shooting 7s and the 180 VLD.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Coyote hunter,

My point is simply that bad shots from big guns will require another shot. There really is no insurance factor from the larger calibers (above 7mm Mag) that will make any appreciable difference, in my opinion. You may or may not agree.

The bigger guns are more difficult to shoot and therefore a hunter is more likely to have a bad shot. You may or may not agree.

By reducing the recoil a hunter will be able to take and make shots not possible with the hard recoiling cartridges. Most of us can shoot the big guns well enough for most of the shots taken but my point is to use precision to make the tough shots not power to make up for a bad shot.

When choosing a cartridge/bullet combination I would recommend picking precision over power.

John �

With that clarification (�no insurance factor from the larger calibers (above 7mm Mag�), it seems we are pretty much in agreement.

There comes a point when additional precision or additional power buy you nothing useful. As with most things in life, I think a balance between the extremes is ***generally*** a better place to be. That opinion is absolutely colored by the fact I�ve seen more elk wounded and lost with a .243 Win than possibly all other cartridges put together, even with hits I thought looked good. (Probably a factor in why I�ve never chosen to own one.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=Jeff_O]My Sendero II kicks harder than it seems like it should oughta.

Because it's a 300 magonumb smile [/quote

I wonder how much harder a 300 shooting 180s kicks tha a 7mm shooting 180 vlds????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Any appreciable difference, near or far? Thanks!

Jeff �

The 7mm RM was my only legal (Colorado) big game bolt gun from 1982 to 2004. My mentor and most in camp back in those days used 7mm RMs, as has my hunting buddy since he got started in the late �90�s. My mentor recommended a 162g Hornady BTSP but after my first elk I switched to 160g Grand Slams and used them exclusively until 2004, as did my hunting buddy from the time he got started until he switched to 160g Trophy Bonded around 2005.

What�s not to like about the 7mm RM? Recoil with a 160g bullet is about the same as many factory .30-06/180g loads but it shoots a bit flatter. The only elk we ever �lost� was one my buddy shot in the neck (against my recommendation) and we didn�t find it until the next morning. Most elk have fallen straight down or taken no more than a couple steps. I�ve had two that went about 40 yards, if that, and no others made it anywhere near that far.

Logcutter likes to call it the �7mm �Hit �em again� Remington Mag�. (He prefers the 270 Win with a 130g bullet or a .300WM.) We�ve have had fun arguing back and forth, but the truth is you do your job and the 7m RM (or the .270 Win or .300WM) will do what you want without beating you up. The 7mm RM wouldn�t be my first choice for extreme ranges (for me that is over 500-600 yards), but for every elk I�ve ever shot it has been more than �enough gun�.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say that my .300 Win mag using 180 grain bullets goes out the barrel end at 3130fps.

My 7mm mag shooting 175 grain bullets does 2950fps. Now both are model 70 Winchesters with pre-64 actions and 26 inch barrels. I would guess that there is about 4 to 5 pounds difference in "felt recoil" ok. Now that is enough for most hunters to realize after the trigger has been pulled. I just went to the recoil calculator and put in the numbers on the .300 Win mag 180 grn bullet verses the 7mm Rem. mag and it's 175 grn. bullet. Results are below: 300 Win mag = 36 pounds of felt recoil and the 7mm Rem. mag has 26 pounds of felt recoil to the shooter!!!
Evidently my guess was off by some 4-lbs, so there is a difference of 8 pounds of Felt Recoil between the too and that is very significant for most shooters, especially at longer ranges.

It could make a difference in downrange accuracy to some shooters and if the .300 Win mag is to much drop on down, no disgrace there and they both kill elk very well. I also want to say, that with that .338 Win mag and 250 grain bullet, any shot I wanted to take, I knew that .338 bullet would drive straight on into the vitals even if it was by way of a Texas Heart Shot.

Now what I myself have noticed over the years, is that when using the .338 Win mag with a 225 or 250 grain bullet, the elk that received that bullet seemed to show more body language and movement verses the other two calibers or calibers such as the 30-06 or the .270 Win.

Last edited by Tonk; 11/28/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tonk
I would say that my .300 Win mag using 180 grain bullets goes out the barrel end at 3130fps.

My 7mm mag shooting 175 grain bullets does 2950fps. Now both are model 70 Winchesters with pre-64 actions and 26 inch barrels. I would guess that there is about 4 to 5 pounds difference in "felt recoil" ok. Now that is enough for most hunters to realize after the trigger has been pulled. I just went to the recoil calculator and put in the numbers on the .300 Win mag 180 grn bullet verses the 7mm Rem. mag and it's 175 grn. bullet. Results are below: 300 Win mag = 36 pounds of felt recoil and the 7mm Rem. mag has 26 pounds of felt recoil to the shooter!!!
Evidently my guess was off by some 4-lbs, so there is a difference of 8 pounds of Felt Recoil between the too and that is very significant for most shooters, especially at longer ranges.

It could make a difference in downrange accuracy to some shooters and if the .300 Win mag is to much drop on down, no disgrace there and they both kill elk very well. I also want to say, that with that .338 Win mag and 250 grain bullet, any shot I wanted to take, I knew that .338 bullet would drive straight on into the vitals even if it was by way of a Texas Heart Shot.

Now what I myself have noticed over the years, is that when using the .338 Win mag with a 225 or 250 grain bullet, the elk that received that bullet seemed to show more body language and movement verses the other two calibers or calibers such as the 30-06 or the .270 Win.

Are those chronographed bullet speeds? They are both around 150fps faster than what my Hornady manual says to expect from the fastest load for each of those bullet weights. My manual shows the 7mm reaching max with around 68 gr. of powder, and the .300 with 81. Looking at Nosler, Hornady, and Berger BC's, one needs to go with bullets in the 200-210 grain weights in the .300 to get a similar BC to the 175-180 gr 7mm bullet. Let's use the Nosler Partition for an example. The 175 gr 7mm has a BC of .519 and an SD of .310, and the 30 cal. shows .481 and an SD of .301 for the 200 grain bullet. My manual says 2800fps as the top speed for the 7mm, and 2962fps top speed for the .300. The .300, in this example is launching a bullet with a slightly lower BC and SD 162fps faster, but the bullet weighs 15 grains more, and we are using 16 more grains of powder to do it. The biggest difference I see here is going to be the heavier recoil of the .300. I see no advantage to that. Now, I have used a couple of different iterations of .300 magnums since '92 and was a real fan of all that power, until I really studied the ballistic picture. To me, the 7 mag has an advantage in that I believe it does the same job with less recoil. I used a .358 STA for a few years and shot a few elk with it using 250 grain bullets at a chronographed 2800fps. I can't say that it killed elk any quicker or deader than my '06 and 180 grain bullets, or my 7mm's with 160 grain bullets ever did. I killed a bunch of elk with a .300 Jarrett and 200 grain bullets, but again, no more effective than the old '06. For elk, I have to agree with JohnBurns that I feel the 7RM is hard to beat, and though I haven't owned one yet, I believe that .264 has to be a real killer as well. And the .270 I have started using this year seems, on paper, to be right on the heels of these two so for now, I'm sticking with it.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Recoil is a funny thing in that there's a quantity componant and a quality componant. In terms of quantity the .338 WM probably kicks "more" than a 300WM, but qualitatively I feel .338 as a big friendly shove while my 300 WM is much sharper.

My .338 and 300 WM are such different rifles that the above is just a hypothesis; I've fired several .338's but only the one .300. It does seem that others have noticed the same thing.

I like hearing that 7-mag recoil is about like a 30-06. I can shoot 30-06 indefinitly.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For what it's worth, my manual shows top speed from an '06, using 180 gr. bullets as 2798fps, using 10 grains less powder weight. This suggests to me that recoil should be nearly identical, which my experience with both rounds would agree with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was looking at Chuck Hawks recoil chart and found this very interesting.His test show about 4lbs differnce in a 7 mag and a 300 mag but the 7mm is a half pound heavier.
The point I was trying to make is there is not that much difference in felt recoil between the 2, if your shooting comparitive weight bullets.
Seems like a lot of people think the 300s kick more than the 7 mags, maybe a little but if your shooting at elk, who is going to notice.
I have nothing against the 7 mag, killed my first elk with one. I have grown fond of the 300 win mag and 338 win mag for elk though given the advantages of heavier bullts.

Rifle Recoil Table
By Chuck Hawks

Cartridge (WbMV) Rifle Weight Recoil energy Recoil velocity
7mm Rem. Mag. (175 at 2870) 9.0 21.7 12.5
300 Win. Mag. (180 at 2960) 8.5 25.9 14.0

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it humorous that we are having an argument about cartridges when we should be having a discussion about bullets, and where the bullet impacts.

A good 90% of the animals that I've shot or seen shot with TSX bullets have gone into an immediate dirt nap. It doesn't matter if it came from a .25-06, a .280, 7RM, .338WM, .243, .308, etc. I usually shoot for the high shoulder, but I also use the "behind-the-shoulder, in the ribs" shot. A good majority of the animals that were killed with TSX bullets were hit in the high shoulder/lungs. Of the animals that were hit in the ribs, about 50% have gone straight down. I just shot a MD buck with a .25-06 and 100gr TTSX on Saturday through the ribs, and the buck did a bang-flop, then got to his feet, stumbled 10 yards, his legs buckled, and he hit the ground for good. The ENTRY hole in the ribcage was about 2", and the exit about 1/2". Lungs were ruined. I also saw a few animals meet their end with Fusions, Horn BTSP, CL's, etc this season, and about half of the animals shot in the ribs dropped at the shot, and the rest ran 100 yards or less. Those that were hit in the shoulder/shouler blade went straight down. I've also noticed that the more animal the bullet plows through, whether before or after hitting vitals, the quicker the animals does a nose dive. I shot another deer on Saturday that was on the run, quartering away hard, at 290 yards when a 100gr TSX from the .25-06 hit it in front of the rear leg. The bullet penetrated the paunch, the heart, and I have yet to find an exit wound. The deer left a 5ft smear in the snow when it slid to a stop on its nose.

I know that you're excited about building your new 7WSM, Jeff, and it will work GREAT, I just have a hard time believing that your .358 puts deer down any faster than the 100gr TSX/TTSX outta my .25-06, since they can't drop much faster than "bang-flop" wink

Just sayin' that the choice of bullet and where it hits are about 10x more important than cartridge choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I find it humorous that we are having an argument about cartridges when we should be having a discussion about bullets, and where the bullet impacts.

A good 90% of the animals that I've shot or seen shot with TSX bullets have gone into an immediate dirt nap. It doesn't matter if it came from a .25-06, a .280, 7RM, .338WM, .243, .308, etc. I usually shoot for the high shoulder, but I also use the "behind-the-shoulder, in the ribs" shot. A good majority of the animals that were killed with TSX bullets were hit in the high shoulder/lungs. Of the animals that were hit in the ribs, about 50% have gone straight down. I just shot a MD buck with a .25-06 and 100gr TTSX on Saturday through the ribs, and the buck did a bang-flop, then got to his feet, stumbled 10 yards, his legs buckled, and he hit the ground for good. The ENTRY hole in the ribcage was about 2", and the exit about 1/2". Lungs were ruined. I also saw a few animals meet their end with Fusions, Horn BTSP, CL's, etc this season, and about half of the animals shot in the ribs dropped at the shot, and the rest ran 100 yards or less. Those that were hit in the shoulder/shouler blade went straight down. I've also noticed that the more animal the bullet plows through, whether before or after hitting vitals, the quicker the animals does a nose dive. I shot another deer on Saturday that was on the run, quartering away hard, at 290 yards when a 100gr TSX from the .25-06 hit it in front of the rear leg. The bullet penetrated the paunch, the heart, and I have yet to find an exit wound. The deer left a 5ft smear in the snow when it slid to a stop on its nose.

I know that you're excited about building your new 7WSM, Jeff, and it will work GREAT, I just have a hard time believing that your .358 puts deer down any faster than the 100gr TSX/TTSX outta my .25-06, since they can't drop much faster than "bang-flop" wink

Just sayin' that the choice of bullet and where it hits are about 10x more important than cartridge choice.

Jorden, I wasnt arguing with anyone, I was just trying to show how close the 7mm and 300 are. If you can tell the difference in recoil when shooting at an animal I'd say your focus isnt on the target

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the big 7's and the big 30's a lot. When shooting at game nope one won't notice it. For me, during practice and I like to practice a lot that's when I notice the diff.

Laying on the ground, sitting etc and when shooting a fair amount of rounds at a setting most all will notice the diff. And it's my experience that habbits are learned and formed in practice not whilst shooting at game.

For the life of me I can't find a diff tween the two and how they kill game so for me I'll take the big 7's and how they do their work with less muss/fuss.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
<< about 4 paragraphs of .358 gack deleted, grin>>

In the same way that you feel you've caught lightning in a bottle for your conditions with your 25/06, I feel I've done that with .358 here. If I were flying to Alberta for deer I doubt I'd even bring the .358. Likewise a 25-06 would be WAY down the list of cartridges you'll hear Oregon woods blacktail hunters talk about.

I am hoping that a 7WSM Montana will be an equally "perfect" open-country deer/lope rifle but I have no idea really and won't until I run it a while.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As JJ Hack said and I agree....

We see more .308 diameter rifles in our camps then anything else. Maybe (probably) more then all diameters combined. It's not at all unusual for me to have 6 hunters in camp and every one of them is using a 300 mag. It would be a first to have every hunter in camp using 7mm mags. So The data collected and the combined experiences are heavily weighted towards the 308 diameter.

On the surface it would seem that with that many 308 diameter cartridges no wonder I feel this way. Yes but..... it is as likely to work against functionality as well. With that frequency we would likely see equal problems. But that is simply not the case. The 7mm mag compares in killing power nicely with the 30/06, however when it's a 300 mag in the mix there is simply nothing at all similar except recoil and muzzle blast. The 300 mag is a far more lethal cartridge then the 7mm mag. At this point in my career no matter who tries to convince me otherwise, I'm not buying!

Jayco

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (achadwick, 1OntarioJim, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,029 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.