Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
It's been a great season with lots of time out in the field for me, but a tough time spotting a buck. We had the traditional deer camp and only one buck was spotted, but we had fantatic fellowship and the natural beauty is second to none "Up North". It's my goal every year to bring someone who has either never hunted or who hasn't hunted in several years. This year we had 3 people like that, which was awesome. While none of them got deer they enjoyed it and will be back next year. Year after year, however, it seems that while we respectfully observe that tradition we come a bit south to actually kill stuff.

One of my good friends who'd "returned to the fold" a few years ago after I invited him several years in a row bought a TC Impact this fall and has been itching to use it to take his first deer ever. I was anxious to oblige, and knew exactly where to go to do it. One of my clients has a soybean farm where he bow hunts but doesn't gun hunt, so Jim and I went out there yesterday with doe tags burning holes in our pockets.

I was itchin' to bloody the Savage 110 .338-06 I built a few winters ago. Just after first light, a few does stepped out into the field about 150 yards in front of me and, as a guy w/ 5 kids, I was excited to have meat in the freezer:

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

So after I had her hangin' I enjoyed some tea and a celebratory "snack" in the shack:

[Linked Image]

with a loaded 338-06 cartridge topped with a 180 NBT included to commemorate the event. As one would expect, that bullet worked wonderfully on that whitetail doe putting her down right where she was hit, and causing massive damage to the lungs and a nice big exit wound.

In the evening it was Jim's turn. He'd hunted a bit as a kid and gone up with his father the last couple of years for the traditional Michigan deer camp but had yet to see a deer while deer hunting. I had him sit in a very promising spot on the farm where deer come in to feed on the winter wheat in the evening. At last light I heard the distintive blast of a 50 cal ML.

As it turns out he kept hearing a noise in the little streambed where he was seated. It was getting late and he was anxious but put his gun up on sticks so he could be prepared. He had some places picked out where he expected deer to appear and windows through the brush where he could shoot so he was ready. She stepped into the field in front of him but to his surprise there were tall shrubs blocking a clear shot. He contorted himself to get the shot and as a result had more than venison to show for it.
[Linked Image]
Fortunately he did have venison too... a nice big fat corn- and soy-fed doe. She showed herself at about 60 yards and he put the shockwave bullet right where it belonged. Fueled by 90 gr of powder I was suprised to see no exit,

[Linked Image]

but it was a perfect shoulder shot (as you can see from the little red dot in the pic above) and our post mort today confirmed that the bullet simply destroyed both shoulders in addition to jellifying the lungs and blowing the top off the heart. The lack of exit wound on the doe that dropped right there in its tracks was a definate sign of bullet failure! You can tell by the look on his face that he is TICKED:

[Linked Image]

...and even more upset with the way our day's work was reduced to "groceries" in the "grocery getter":

[img]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr166/efrrwake99/Hunting%202010/P1380726.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr166/efrrwake99/Hunting%202010/P1380729.jpg[/img]

It was a great experience, though we agreed that there is still an air that attends our northern camps that isn't quite captured in these home-based forays. We each had yesterday and today off, so we spent today in his garage butchering our deer and had a second great day in a row, grateful that we got our deer yesterday as it was in the mid-40s, windy, and rainy all day today.

Thanks for reading,

efw

GB1

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
efw...Congrats on a couple of great days afield! Where in the North is your camp? Looking forward to January and meeting some great people...

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
We hunt in Branch which is on the Pere Marquette River just west of Baldwin. It is pretty heavily hunted year 'round if you know what I mean...

It is absolutely gorgeous, however, and I've got about 13 other guys who show up from one year to the next. This year there were 9 others. It is always a great time, but the one guy who got one had to drive 1 hr round-trip each day to hunt in Oceana County where he had a doe tag. I saw does every day, but of the 8 of us who hunted around the cottage only one guy saw a buck.

Needless to say, next year we'll be ranging a little wider. There are lots of good areas up there we're just a bit tradition bound... I think there is room to keep the tradition AND find a good hunting area too, though.

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of Michigander 'fire members in a couple of months as well! See you there Scott!

ps- I saw your photo in the deer pic thread... where you hunt?

Last edited by efw; 11/30/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting, and congrats on putting some meat in the freezer!

Looks like y'all went all out, from filling your tags to getting scoped...

That's what I call getting scoped!

No lasting harm, and the scar will be worth worth more than it cost in stories and good memories!

DJ

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Camp is SW of Atlanta about 6 miles. We also get our share of all season hunting...lol. I guess it just goes with the territory. I pass thru the area you hunt some in the summer...I keep my boat in Manistee for a few weeks every year for the salmon fishing. It is beautifull around there. I've often toyed with a place in that area but I'm a bit tradition bound too, and I love the camp we have.
The 'fire meeting should be alot of fun. I'm looking forward to it for sure. I have some more pics in the thread below...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...chigan_Deer_Camp_Report_2010#Post4636941

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Couple of tasty deer and a battle scar. HArd to beat a trip like that. Thanks for sharing.

Don't fruit the beer!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Funny to see another tarp in a mom wagon...BTDT.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats on the deer...and the "scope eye".

That is a first rate scope eye.grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hats off to you for bringing folks into and/or back into the sport. It's a great thing for all of us. Meat in the freezer is even better. Best of all is having a story to tell. Q: "How'd ya get that scar?" A: (cool and vague and just a bit sober) "Hunting up Nort'" Chicks dig scars! Well done all around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the story--Wonderful job!

FMP

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool story.

And I feel for your pard. The only time I caught a scope was about ten years ago doing a very similar contortion job with a ML. I eventually got out of the tree to track the buck. The hard part was discerning my blood on the snow from deer blood. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
H
LOL, best part of my scope check was that no one was around to take a picture.

Good job and congrats. The deer in the car/van/suv reminds me of when I was trapping and put a skunk in my wifes trunk. Still here about that now and again.

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself. Monty Python
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NICE job on the slick heads! your buddie got bloodied, hes a deer hunter for life now! I hunt just east of Baldwin, hopeing for Muzzleloader, next weekend!
John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, BallisticBRYAN, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,409
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.