Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice pictures. The old war-horse will do the job if the operator is up to it.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I could carry my Ruger without it being concealed I'd do it. I had 3 deer come flying straight at my blind on my right side that I'd of had a fun time with. The .45 is fine in my book. Marksmanship is the key point.

Last edited by wildbill59; 12/03/10.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 45 acp is a poor choice for hunting anything over about coyote size and even worst for bear protection.The 10mm auto is a far better choice.The 10mm will often exit deer.Glad you got her and she didn't get away.

1 and done
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by highridge1
The 45 acp is a poor choice for hunting anything over about coyote size and even worst for bear protection. The 10mm auto is a far better choice.The 10mm will often exit deer.Glad you got her and she didn't get away.

The 45 ACP will also often exit, bullet choice is the key. FMJ (round nose) bullets tumble often and lose penetration. The 255 Grain flat point hard cast will definately most often exit fired from the 45 ACP at 900+ FPS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you got her and she didn't get away.

No other deer tracks on the ground that I saw in fresh snow, getting away was not going to happen. I would have tracked her a very long way because I knew I hit her. I track every deer, even if I think I missed. Far enough to know I missed by indicators on the track.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good shooting.

The load Derby Dude mentioned is the federal Hydra-shok, which is what I keep in my .45's for defense. If you believe the "one shot stop data" (a lot of people don't) .45 FMJ is about 70% reliable and good .45 hollowpoints are 90+% on bad guys.

You can also get +p .45's from Remington, Win, and Cor-Bon. I would not use them in an alloy framed gun.

I had this same dilemma on the new deer lease and wound up taking a 1911 with the Federal HS. I also have a couple 10mm's, and one of them may go next time. Besides deer we have a few hogs around, too.

I too have seen deer run a long way with blown up innards, so I think you did fine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Deer, rabbits, they're all dead with a 1911 and good shooting, nothing but head shots...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

YEP!

Here is a pic of a fairly lucky shot. I told my partner that I would kill this jack with a head shot then did it. 63 Yards, through the noggin with my G21 and a Gold Dot.

[Linked Image]

I did not take that gun out of the holster the rest of the day for fear of screwing up.

BTW, I have shot so many vehicle struck deer with my issued .45 when I was a state trooper it is not funny. Many were not down, many had broken legs and were quite mobile. After shooting dozens of the things I can attest to the fact that a .45 is perfectly adequate for mule deer. Gold Dots and Hydra-Shoks are deadly on deer.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You folks have no idea how green with envy I am!
Thanks for the pics, gents.

Later....

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So Mack, how far did you have to trail that jack?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by crosshair
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Here in Wisco my P90 would be illegal to use as the barrel must be 5 1/2" or more. Also the use of non expanding bullets is not allowed. I have a Ruger semi carbine in .40 I take out sometimes but that has a 20" barrel on it.

All handgun bullet sold in the US meet the legal definition of expanding. If handgun bullets do not meet the legal definition the ATF rule them illegal and can not be commercially manufactured are sold in the United States

Not really,

The Federal definition of armor piercing ammunition [18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(17)(B)] is important. It has nothing to do with testing of a cartridge's actual ability to penetrate body armor. The law classifies ammunition as being armor piercing based solely on its construction:

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

What do you mean not really? I never posted anything about armor piercing ammo

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JOG
So Mack, how far did you have to trail that jack?

Ha ha!

We had just walked back to the truck after a coyote calling session and the jack was hanging out a ways out there. I held just above his head, below the tops of his ears and pressed the kill switch. Afterwards I walked out to the rabbit with my Leica rangefinder and lasered back to the front of my truck.

It was a pretty lucky shot.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
I think he was telling you, don't post stupid stuff on the net....

And what was stupid about my post?

Dude, if you haven't figured... admitting to breaking the rules on public net... DUH! Will they go after ya? Maybe not... but we have had 2 wardens here that, had they seen that, would have prosecuted to the T. I don't agree, but then I"m not dumb enough to admit guilt in a public forum. thats way dumber than thinking shooting one with a 45 was dumb.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Good shooting.

The load Derby Dude mentioned is the federal Hydra-shok, which is what I keep in my .45's for defense. If you believe the "one shot stop data" (a lot of people don't) .45 FMJ is about 70% reliable and good .45 hollowpoints are 90+% on bad guys.

You can also get +p .45's from Remington, Win, and Cor-Bon. I would not use them in an alloy framed gun.

I had this same dilemma on the new deer lease and wound up taking a 1911 with the Federal HS. I also have a couple 10mm's, and one of them may go next time. Besides deer we have a few hogs around, too.

I too have seen deer run a long way with blown up innards, so I think you did fine.

Yup, that's the one I was thinking about Federal Hydra-shok. Our local police uses them or did.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 45 ACP is a much better hunting round than most think, the secret is the load you use. I took this boar at around 35 yard with the Hornady 230 Plus P XTP HP. The Hog dropped in his tracks. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer with my 45 ACP . Just keep your shots under 50 yards and you will be eating Back-strap.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
mec Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jared Schmidt killed a small buck with his Les Baer and a 230 grain speer gold dot loaded to Plus P. The wound channel and organ distruction was indistinguishable from similar shots with 44 magnums. JD Jones put several hardballs into a hog. One hit a heavy shoulder bone and bounced out but the others reached vital structurs and killed the hog.
"Deer often run even when shot through the lungs with a rifle. Bullet holes through both lungs is fatal. The only sure instant death is with a CNS hit."
This is completely true. There is an element of luck even with the most carefully placed shots. much of the talk about what is an adequate hunting load is just self-stimulation by windbags.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I killed a doe a few years ago with a Glock 36. One shot at 47 yards, lasered after the shot. The 185gr +p hollow point entered near the back of the ribs, traveled forward, through liver, and through one lung and stopped in the brisket meat. Looked like it could have been reloaded. Zero expansion, but still a 45 caliber hole through vital organs. She went less than 80 yards and piled up.
I was actually out looking for tresspassers and she about ran me over, but couldn't get a shot until she was out a bit.

Last edited by salmonhead; 12/03/10.

Salmonhead
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here is the recovered bullet from the hog. Not much expansion but 45 cal hole did the job.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(17)(B) is the law under which certain handgun ammo is banned. ATF points to if a handgun is made for that ammo, then it is handgun ammo. They selectivly enforce it. Under that law, all the chineese 7.62x39 ammo that had the pin in it was made illegal.

http://nucnews.net/2000/du/98du/981204du.laws.htm

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think he was telling you, don't post stupid stuff on the net....

And what was stupid about my post?

Dude, if you haven't figured... admitting to breaking the rules on public net... DUH! Will they go after ya? Maybe not... but we have had 2 wardens here that, had they seen that, would have prosecuted to the T. I don't agree, but then I"m not dumb enough to admit guilt in a public forum. thats way dumber than thinking shooting one with a 45 was dumb.

Let them, and then let them prove I wasn't lying. First thing I'd say is that it was all bullchit. Got no problem bullchitting LE as they do it all the time. Deers ground up, got the tag too, nothing to prove. Don't get your panties in a wad over a barrel that's a smidgen too short.

Last edited by crosshair; 12/04/10.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 1_deuce, Akhutr, 79S, 10 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,506
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.