-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to offer a different view. I've taken about a half-dozen deer with a .35 Rem at close range (small sample size, I know). All were with 200 gr. Remington Core-Lokt handloads probably moving along at just over 2000 fps.

The farthest I have had to "track" any of these deer was probably +/- 10 yards. The .35 Rem seems to be one of those cartridges that performs better in real-life than it does on paper.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I totally agree with you on the .35. It's superb and usually a one shot killer. Thanks...Bill.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to offer a different view. I've taken about a half-dozen deer with a .35 Rem at close range (small sample size, I know). All were with 200 gr. Remington Core-Lokt handloads probably moving along at just over 2000 fps.

The farthest I have had to "track" any of these deer was probably +/- 10 yards. The .35 Rem seems to be one of those cartridges that performs better in real-life than it does on paper.

I've heard the 35 rem is almost night & day difference over the speedier 3030 so that leans towards the bigger bullet may be the ticket and I was excited when I inherited my dad 35 last fall.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Brad,

Very nice photos. The gun is bright but I do like the combo with stainless.

I myself own a 243 but have not taken a deer with it. It shoots the 95 gr BT's and 100 gr Partitions very well so will have to change that. grin The rifle was picked up right before the season and eventhough it was shootin well, had more confidence in the 7-08 for thiss year. Gun season is over tomorrow than ML season starts. I may have to go shoot some yotes after that to get more familiar with the gun before next season.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
nice deer and that is a nice looking 243 Brad! You really should be using a .25 cal....just an enormous step up in power.... smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by Steelhead
We hunted one down right after Thanksgiving. Guy shot the doe right through the boiler room with a 30/06 and 180gr Hornady bullets. She ran about 175 yards, but with good lights we got right on the blood trail and found her in about 10-15 minutes.

That said, I think a 62gr TSX from the 223AI would have greatly shortened the run, if she ran at all. Velocity is your friend with deer.

This is worth quoting. Trama to soft tissue as a result from high velocities is staggering.

This may or may not be the case in general terms. SH in this particular case concluded that the outcome of shooting that doe with a 62gr TSX would have been more favorable. This is a subjective prediction.

I could advocate the same thing. Putting a bullet into the boiler room of this doe with a 154gr Hornady from my 7x57 would have dropped her in her tracks or shortened up her run.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
We hunted one down right after Thanksgiving. Guy shot the doe right through the boiler room with a 30/06 and 180gr Hornady bullets. She ran about 175 yards, but with good lights we got right on the blood trail and found her in about 10-15 minutes.

That said, I think a 62gr TSX from the 223AI would have greatly shortened the run, if she ran at all. Velocity is your friend with deer.

This is worth quoting. Trama to soft tissue as a result from high velocities is staggering.

This may or may not be the case in general terms. SH in this particular case concluded that the outcome of shooting that doe with a 62gr TSX would have been more favorable. This is a subjective prediction.

I could advocate the same thing. Putting a bullet into the boiler room of this doe with a 154gr Hornady from my 7x57 would have dropped her in her tracks or shortened up her run.

I agree, however, I still favor velocity with proper bullet construction over slow moving offerings. But in the end it is a preference.

The fact is...sometimes deer run. If you shoot enough deer, occasionaly you will have a deer run. Whither it be velocity or a large whole, the idea that any bullet/caliber choice will result in "drop dead it it's tracks" EVERY time is fantacy. If you shoot enough game, you will find that animals seemingly hit in the same place with the same projectile on the same day will react differentlt to the hit. It happens...that's hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My two quickest kills came from my .243 with 100grain Hornady Spire Points. Neither bullet left the chest cavity and both hand grenaded inside, shedding the jacket which peeled back and raised h*** with the lungs. I now hunt with bigger calibers because for no good reason I felt undergunned with the .243. I think that I read too many hunting magazines about how the latest wizz bang magnum was the ticket to DRT success. In reality the .243 is a fine deer cartridge but I would use stronger constructed bullets if I were to hunt with it today. I have killed deer with many different rifle cartridges, shotgun slugs, and arrows and as people have said again, and again, and again......If you hit them in the right spot, they die.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
nice deer and that is a nice looking 243 Brad! You really should be using a .25 cal....just an enormous step up in power.... smile

Funny you should mention that grin. I have an SS PacNor Mtn Rifle contoured barrel blank sitting here that I bought from Paul, along with a Long Action TI stock....I need to scrounge an action and then I'm going to build a 25-06AI to play with. I should have had it finished up long ago but this past spring and summer was so damn busy that I almost forgot I even had them in the safe.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .243 was intended to be a varmint rifle, why people insist on hunting deer with it is beyond me. Use a cartridge that reliably produces quick humane kills and save the .243 for ground hogs, coyotes and such vermin. Deer deserve to be dispatched more humanely.

That was why Winchester made the rifling to stabilize 100 plus grain bullets, right?

Ever used one? I have and have seen many deer taken with them. It works as well as any other caliber. And like any other caliber, it is shot placement that kills deer whether it is a 500 NE or a .223. Hit the boiler room with a good bullet the deer dies, period.

Hate to ask what you think about .22 centerfires for deer then ?!

FYI they work too.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Buckhorn, glad you found your deer, sorry the critters got to it before you.

Best of luck on your next hunt!

Guy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by roundoak

I agree, however, I still favor velocity with proper bullet construction over slow moving offerings. But in the end it is a preference.

The fact is...sometimes deer run. If you shoot enough deer, occasionaly you will have a deer run. Whither it be velocity or a large whole, the idea that any bullet/caliber choice will result in "drop dead it it's tracks" EVERY time is fantacy. If you shoot enough game, you will find that animals seemingly hit in the same place with the same projectile on the same day will react differentlt to the hit. It happens...that's hunting.

I expect my deer to run off all the time and the occasional DRT is a nice thing. My shots are through the rib cage and not busting shoulders and destroying what little meat there is. Maybe smaller deer in southern states fold easier like prarie dogs being hit with high velocity slugs, but my pride is not so big that I can track a deer a few yards if it saves a roast or two.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .243 was intended to be a varmint rifle, why people insist on hunting deer with it is beyond me. Use a cartridge that reliably produces quick humane kills and save the .243 for ground hogs, coyotes and such vermin. Deer deserve to be dispatched more humanely.

The .243 is plenty of gun for deer. My first 8-9 seasons of hunting my brother and I shared a .243 and the deer had instantly fatal reactions to it. I still take the rifle out from time to time just for nostalgia. Good thing the deer didn't know that a .243 is insufficient.

Deal with it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To all you 243 bashers-------op didn't need anything else to kill his deer.....only went 40-50 yards......

He needed a BIGGER DAMMM FLASHLITE!!!!!!!!laffin......

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

and/or a good dog!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I lung'ed a chipmunk one time with a .505 Gibbs. Baaaaastid ran a good 50 yards be for it flopped over dead...2 holes was critical for tracking this monsta!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good thing it wasn't a 243. You might have found it in several different places---50 yards apart.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
GeorgiaBoy, I sure wished you would p/u that .243 again and re-join the 6mm brotherhood. Ordered some Barnes 85 gr TSX today.
Can't wait to try them out, after I am done with my 85 gr Gamekings.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
First the bait...now the hook. You're bad!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just wait GeorgiaBoy, once we get that .243 squared away, then we will take the old .280 path, it just keeps gettin' better....I love it!!

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 47 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.