Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have both and find the 17HMR to be way better. The main reasons are longer range and more explosive on impact. I use it to shoot small rodents and it's a 200 yard gun! The 17 gr bullet generally explodes on impact and really knocks them down. So IMHO it is way better.

The only applications where 22mag is better are shooting heavier bullets in the wind or when you need more stopping power.

I would not consider getting a new 22mag. Its 17HMR all the way. What do you think?

Last edited by ConradCA; 12/06/10.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my honest opinion the 17 HRM is a total waste. That is just one mans opinion.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can't wait for this one to get going.

Time to put on the popcorn.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
In my honest opinion the 17 HRM is a total waste. That is just one mans opinion.

It is the right mans opinion. grin

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So what is it about 17HMR that you don't like? It is more accurate, has longer effective range and more destructive on impact. I guess 22mag could be better if you wanted to eat what you shoot and can't manage head shots.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The .17 shoots flatter, but the WMR hits harder. I don't have a WMR, the .17HMR suits me best on prairie dogs, crows and lightweight stuff, but I gotta say I think it's a bit light for coons, coyotes and other mid-sized stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I think the .17HMR is the berries for light stuff, mine shoots great, is way more accurate than it deserves to be, etc. but it doesn't hit very hard.
I MAY end up buying a WMR barrel for my new CZ 455, but I have a Hornet which will do all the WMR does, and more, so it would be just to see how one shoots. However, if I were coon shooting or coyote or bobcat hunting, I think I'd rather have the .22 Mag. I DO think the HMR is plenty for foxes, they aren't built too heavy, and are thin-skinned enough for the HMR to do it's thing.
Why not one of each? Might as well have a lot of fun with them all!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 22 mag is much more effective on coyotes.

If you load down a 223 or 22-250 you could have the best of both worlds, 22 mag bullet weight and 17HMR velocity. If you use blue dot loads, and buy bullets in bulk they don't cost any more to shoot.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
A rifle is like a tool. There are applications for a 22wmr and there are applications for a 17HMR. If I want to shoot paper or crows at 200 yards give me a 17HMR. If I want to hunting for coons give me a 22mag. Neither is better than the other. I just depends on what job you want it to do. I have both and will never get rid of either.

Reggie

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shot two coyotes at ranges from 25-35 yards, broadside with a 17 HMR, they were never found.

22 Mag with Winchester Super X 40g hp seems to hit 4x as hard as the 17 hmr.

For Richardson's ground squirrels, p. dogs, chipmunks, black birds, Crows the 17 hmr is a great round.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whelenman
+1

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
But of course the real king of the rimfires is the 5mm remington mag. Maybe someone will announce a new rifle at Shot show in Jan

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I didn't realize the .22 mag was less accurate than the .17? I've got two of each and accuracy appears to be directly related to price point. All will provide enough accuracy to wallop raccoons at 50 yards with enough left over for my lousy judgment of distance. Have never considered using them on anything larger. After purchasing a second rifle in each caliber and having apples to apples comparisons per price, the .17 has in fact gained ground on the .22 mag in my estimation.

I still prefer the .22 mag by a small margin. Further, I think its a mistake to pretend either is anything more than it really is. Modest range varmint eradication guns to be used on animals that don't require retrieval 100% of the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by weagle
But of course the real king of the rimfires is the 5mm remington mag. Maybe someone will announce a new rifle at Shot show in Jan

[Linked Image]

+1 on the old 5mm RRF being king of the rimfire hill.

I'd LOVE to have a CZ or a heavy-barreled Savage in the hot 5. Until then I'll just have to slum it with my 591M and 592M.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a Cooper in 17HMR for Sage Rat hunting.

The 17 is just right for these little "rodents"

Also have a 22 Mag. in a Winchester 94-22. It's better for bigger critters.

I like BOTH, for there intended uses, and couldn't have just one or the other.

Virgil B.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I just bought a Cooper in 17HMR for Sage Rat hunting.

The 17 is just right for these little "rodents"

Also have a 22 Mag. in a Winchester 94-22. It's better for bigger critters.

I like BOTH, for there intended uses, and couldn't have just one or the other.

Virgil B.

Dude, you still around?

Call me.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why own a 9/16 wrench when a 3/8 is so much smaller, lighter, and easier to use in tight spaces?

smile

Bruce

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bcp
Why own a 9/16 wrench when a 3/8 is so much smaller, lighter, and easier to use in tight spaces?

smile

Bruce

IMHO a wise man with a strong point

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've owned several .22 WMR's over the years and most have come and gone. Everytime I find myself without one, I always seem to think "wish I had a .22 mag."

That said, I ended up buying a S&W 48 no dash model with a 6" barrel and love to carry it when woods walking. I then wanted an accurate rifle so chambered as well. After researching the matter I ended up buying a new Marlin stainless bolt action/tube fed rifle with a laminated stock. I believe the model number is 883S. I installed a Pentax Pioneer 3x9 scope on it with the ballistic plex reticle and it flat out shoots!

I've been teaching my girlfriend to shoot, mind you she had never fired a gun before in her life. On the second trip to the range I took the Marlin and a dozen eggs with me as they do a lot of egg shoots at my club and so have the egg holders on top of the target frames. After teaching her to use that rifle, she proceeded to shoot 4 eggs straight at 100 yards! When that first egg exploded you should have heard the yell she let out! grin

For a plain ole hunting rifle, I think "minute of egg" is pretty good!

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even on sage rats, I like the bigger holes and additional "thump" of the 22 MAgnum. On Rockchucks and Raccoons - no contest. Have had several of both, only have a 22 Magnum now. Lower ammo cost as well.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I have both and find the 17HMR to be way better. The main reasons are longer range and more explosive on impact. I use it to shoot small rodents and it's a 200 yard gun! The 17 gr bullet generally explodes on impact and really knocks them down. So IMHO it is way better.

The only applications where 22mag is better are shooting heavier bullets in the wind or when you need more stopping power.

I would not consider getting a new 22mag. Its 17HMR all the way. What do you think?

For your intended uses maybe but you are brushing a large stroke and have obviously not shot a lot of stuff bigger then small rodents. I'd suggest keeping it that way. Ever think someone else may have a different application than yours?

Bottom line is the Hummer does have a great niche but it does not include killing larger small game like coons, fox, etc. reliably. Don't tell me yest it can cause you head shoot stuff. That is not a gauge of a cartridge.

The 22 magnum is a better tool overall...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1337Fungi, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.