Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 54 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 53 54
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This tread got a little off track, I am with the muzzle break fellows if it reduces recoil as stated about by Tonk by 50% why not use it. Because a handful of folks on here are say flinching and afraid of the recoil when it comes right down to it a 300 rum with break kicks no more possible even less than a 30-06 without one so with that said I'd take the 300 w/break.
And on the bullet type for penatration it still has to get to the 500-600 yrds. mark with enought energy, if you shoot a 270 then why cant you shoot a 330 well?

Last edited by GARYANDGUS; 12/18/10.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by flyingmetal
.700 nitro, hands down best choice- and get real close.

You must have some of those 'modern Elk' that have learned how to grow Kevlar plating... shocked

Probably more Elk (and other large big game) have been taken with the .270/.30-06 class cartridges than everything else combined.

Good shot placement at reasonable ranges and using quality controlled expansion bullets are the most important factors.

Over the years I've owned rifles that used a wide range of cartridges, but now I only use 2 rifles for everything from large varmints through large critters that might want to bite me; a Win M70 .30-06 and a Win M70 .375 H&H.

Guess I just like to keep things simple and if I can't get the job done with either my 30-06 or 375 H&H I won't be able to get it done with any other cartridge.

For Elk I would probably use my 375 H&H just because I enjoy shooting it so much, but I wouldn't feel one bit 'under gunned' using my 30-06 loaded with 180gr Partitions.

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
17Rem if I need to shoot over 600yds. the 17 is one flat shooting bullet that will get the job done.

randy..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Only shot 4 so far. 2 with the 300 Win Mag and 180 gr NP's and 2 with the 35 Whelen and 225 gr NP's ,all died. only difference I can see was the Whelen ruined less meat and that shines for me. Magnum Man

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My .358 is very meat-friendly on deer, so I'm not surprised to hear that.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doesn't really matter, give me any gun thats shoots straight and is legal to hunt elk with and I will go kill and elk with it. Iron sights or scope. It counts where you hit them rather than what you hit them with. Become a better hunter and you don't haveto take those long pokes at them either.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I surely wish I could tag along, like be a fly on your hat or something, and watch you work 'em saddlesore! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
One question: Do we as hunter ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hit them where we want to? Every single time we pull the trigger?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cartridge don't make up for bad shots. Gut shot is gut shot no matter what you're using.

How many elk hunts have you been on again?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GARYANDGUS
One question: Do we as hunter ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hit them where we want to? Every single time we pull the trigger?

No.....do you believe that your 300 RUM will help you get that elk if you gut shoot him? Or hit him in that void above the lungs and below the spine for example? Just curious.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Rancho I already put you in your place once...And I never said gut shot I asked and was not answered "One question: Do we as hunter ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hit them where we want to? Every single time we pull the trigger?"
I think it is MY OPINION AND ONLY MY OPINION that a larger caliber gun shooting a high quality bullet will have a better effect on a large game animal if the hunter makes a error and smacks im square in the front shoulder or ever POSSIBLY the center of a hind leg. As for a gut shot no I don't think there are any advantages with that shot because there is nothing there to create server crippling damage such as organs,a large amount of enery and shock which might rupture and heavily damage organs, or bones being broken need to escape. Im also not condoning hunters taking poor shots but...[bleep] happen in the field with me this year I killed my elk I took my time, range found it, made the clicks on my scope, beared down and sent it, in the picture below was not where I intended to hit it got the job done but my point is we as hunter don't ALWAYS hit our exact target. And in SOME cases that extra lead,power,energy MIGHT help. MY OPINION ONLY. Not to mention that was the entry hole the one on the other side is 2" at 592 yrds. thats power and energy at work.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GARYANDGUS; 12/19/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally like the Mag Na Port idea, as it does NOT take away from the beauty of the rifle and does in fact Stop 70% of that muzzle jump.

I took the muzzle brake off my only braked rifle! It is a .470-Capstick with a 26 inch barrel. Now that muzzle brake extends it another 3 friggin inches. It was put on to work up shootable loads in the first place.

So now I have the loads and the powder I use (IMR-4320) I am taking it down to 22 inches for better handling in the bush. It will also be Mag Na Ported to keep that muzzle down for a fast second shot. I also wear a PAST RECOIL PAD Gents!!! It works like a magic wond absorbing recoil.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Exactly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FRENCHCREEK
Rancho I already put you in your place once...

That's funny right there...and that'll be the day...I asked a question;it was not meant to be contentious....

and my name is not "Rancho"......glad to see there is now only one of you as I was feeling out numbered.

Nice bull BTW wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

That's funny right there...and that'll be the day...I asked a question;it was not meant to be contentious....

and my name is not "Rancho"......glad to see there is now only one of you as I was feeling out numbered.

Nice bull BTW wink

Well, then I guess he meant, that he put you in your place. Where ever that place is??? Or is not.............[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Start shooting them at 200-300 yards or less instead of almost 600 yards and you might put more bullets where they are suppose to go and those few times that you don't put the bullet where it should go will become less

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The question was not answered so answer it. Do you hit where you aim EVERY EVERY EVERY time at your limited 200 yards ? Thats why I love this site awhole lots of blah blah blah but knowbody will answer a simple question ,I'll start no I don't always hit the where I am aiming from time to time at any yardage. And Saddle I shoot a big gun all year long I'm not afraid to shoot out passed 200 yrds when I practice at it. If it will make you feel better next time I'll ask Mr. Elk if you would come alittle close or maybe if he would like to go to lunch.

Last edited by FRENCHCREEK; 12/19/10.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Start shooting them at 200-300 yards or less instead of almost 600 yards and you might put more bullets where they are suppose to go and those few times that you don't put the bullet where it should go will become less

Are you addressing me?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL!!! You've lied so many times on this forum you can't even keep your screen name right.

Is it one or five?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You took the shot at 592 yds?

Page 13 of 54 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (450yukon, 673, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 27 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,864
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.