Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 54 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 53 54
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by FRENCHCREEK
The question was not answered so answer it. Do you hit where you aim EVERY EVERY EVERY time at your limited 200 yards ? Thats why I love this site awhole lots of blah blah blah but knowbody will answer a simple question ,I'll start no I don't always hit the where I am aiming from time to time at any yardage. And Saddle I shoot a big gun all year long I'm not afraid to shoot out passed 200 yrds when I practice at it. If it will make you feel better next time I'll ask Mr. Elk if you would come alittle close or maybe if he would like to go to lunch.

I'll answer your question: No nobody that hunts and shoots a lot, hits exactly where they mean to every time and YES a more pwerful cartridge can help enormously if your shot is not placed perfectly and further, the more "powerful" cartridges for elk hunting (like the 338's) allow you to take less than perfect shots and still be lethal. I've killed some very good 6X6, 6X7 and 7X7 bulls and most of those bulls were not holding still, or standing broadside in an open meadow. I purposely shot a few of them in the guts, or I was not going to get any shot at all and I recovered all of them easily since I was using 340 WBY's and 338 Win. Mags. on all of the really big bulls I've killed. Old bulls don't stand around in the open very much and if you want to kill big bulls, you need a cartridge that will allow you to take any crapy shot that the older bull may give you, or be prepared to pass on the crapy shots and end up settling for younger bulls if you use smaller cartridges.

One more thing: Killing a 5x5 raghorn or a cow is nothing like killing an older (8 yrs and older) bull. Those old bulls are MUCH tougher than the yougsters and the cows and unless you've actually killed a number of older bulls, you may not believe that.

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I did.(592) And for your info Rancho I screwed up the screen name myself it is being corrected and by the way junior I'm still waiting for them pictures did you print mine out to pass around the campfire circle jeck meeting ? Now thats funny. Or is youe camera broke?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Sundles-
If you where here right now I would kiss you for sure!!!! Finally someone with a backbone who will say what they truly believe.

Last edited by FRENCHCREEK; 12/19/10.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's see, you claimed you've been on five elk hunts, but actually it was one. You've claimed to presently live in Alaska and Montana, but in reality, it's Finleyville, Pa..

Are you really a miner? That isn't what your Linkedin profile says..

You don't seem to be the most truthful individual, so if people wonder exactly how you got those mounts on the wall, it would only be natural..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Rancho just go up a notch or two and read Sundle post. And post the pictures already because ALL THE PEOPLE WATCHING THIS THREAD NOW KNOWS YOU ARE FULL OF CHIT BIG ELK KILLER WITH NO PICTURES LOAO

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, I'm the one who's full of chit..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The internet is an amazing place grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Ranch- Did you read what Sundle wrote or are you to busy posting them pictures? See Sundle Rancho is pi ssed off at me because I made the same statement that you did so he said I never killed this or that so I sent him pictures of the 15 140"+ bucks, bears, elk, antalope, ducks, fox, coyotes etc. and we as readers are yet to see his skills. It all started over 270 and 30-06 see we can't have an opinion where not part of the group that kills 10 cows and tell us how great a elk hunter they are. But see I didn't kill all them big bucks from be stupid I know better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, gary f... seems I struck a nerve..

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Rancho-
Remeber this the next time you interfer in another one of my threads, don't come without pictures and there better be bone on the head. You just don't get it.

Last edited by FRENCHCREEK; 12/19/10.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There you go getting all [bleep] again..

You just keep telling your lies, we'll be here to remind you of them..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

This thread is not about hunting ability you dolt. It is about the best Elk Cartridge in the World

Hard for some to stay focused I guess

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sundles-
If you where here right now I would kiss you for sure!!!! Finally someone with a backbone who will say what they truly believe.

I long ago lost count of how many bull elk I've killed, but it is many dozen and most years/locations I was holding out for big bulls, although as of late I've shot my share of rag horns. Those bigger older bulls dont often give you a perfect shot if they give you any shot at all. So, not only have I intentionally gut shot my share of big bulls, but I've Texas heart shot a few too. One of my biggest (which I didnt have heasured till four years after I shot him) is a 7X7 that I shot in Idaho's Middle Fork (unit 27) wilderness, and was the only one of the huge bulls I've shot that I shot with a broadside/double lung shot. He scored a gross of 383. All the other bigger bulls I've killed as I can recall, were tough, less than perfect shots that I probably could not have pulled off with a lesser cartridge as I would have feared losing the animal........So, if I am going to hunt for true trophies and be able to take the poor shots older bulls sometimes give, I'll keep using the 338 WIn. Mag. ad the 340 WBY or I'll simply pass on those bad angle and otherwise shots....

Last edited by sundles; 12/19/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sundles-
If you where here right now I would kiss you for sure!!!!

note to sundles;, don't ever turn your back, or bend over in front of frenchy. 'specially AFTER the kiss....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to see you back on the 'puter, sundles. Hope you've got things all lined out now.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is an interesting thread. A lot of huge magnums mentioned here, and also a lot of these posts talking about a max range of maybe 400 yards with those magnums. Hell boys, I can kill elk with my 270 past 400 yards! Why shoot a fire breathing magnum if you can't shoot it well enough to get the range advantage out of it? The very best elk cartridge in the world is quite simply the 7mm Remmy Mag. Why? Because it has all the power needed on any shot most hunters are ever going to take, and for those of us that learn and then practice enough for those 6 and 700 yard shots, it still does the job nicely. AND, it won't kick your pants off so most guys can actually learn to shoot it well... AND this is MY post so I can pick which ever one I want! grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cobrad
This is an interesting thread. A lot of huge magnums mentioned here, and also a lot of these posts talking about a max range of maybe 400 yards with those magnums. Hell boys, I can kill elk with my 270 past 400 yards! Why shoot a fire breathing magnum if you can't shoot it well enough to get the range advantage out of it? The very best elk cartridge in the world is quite simply the 7mm Remmy Mag. Why? Because it has all the power needed on any shot most hunters are ever going to take, and for those of us that learn and then practice enough for those 6 and 700 yard shots, it still does the job nicely. AND, it won't kick your pants off so most guys can actually learn to shoot it well... AND this is MY post so I can pick which ever one I want! grin

Funny post and true... well except the part about the 7 Mag laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Good to see you back on the 'puter, sundles. Hope you've got things all lined out now.

Thanks. Things have been pretty mellow for a couple years now. Got married about 20 months ago to a little girl who was raised on a large cattle ranch in central MT. She was raised on a horse and a dirt bike and likes to get dirty and hike/camp in the mountains, so we do well together. Business is good (thankyou Obama)too. I've had the time and energy to get back in the moutnains a lot and to be shooting a lot too.

You?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone knows it's the 300 WM!

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
JWP475.Not adderssing you particularly,just saying close the distance and those less than optimum shots will become less. I don't care if it is a elk calf or a 8x8 bull.If the shot isn't there,you don't take it.

BTW, I killed a 7x8, 12 yr old+ bull just last year.One shot,.06, 180 gr Game Kings in a area almost devoid of trees. Except for a few small aspen grooves. Shot it at about 60 yards. Big bulls are no more harder to kill than young elk and I havekilled my share..
You can argue this BS till the cows come home, but it has been proven time and time gain,it's not what you hit them with, it is where. These argumnets are senseless.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 14 of 54 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (450yukon, 673, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 26 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,864
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.