Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I hate boots, but I want to like them.

I have had 3 different pair of cheeper boots, and Im never happy with them. And so, Im not very experienced with boots.

My goal is to find light weight, flexible sole, water proof, high comfort boot that feels like a "tennis-shoe" (or more specific a skateboarding shoe)

Redwing boots is what I have been looking at now. I think they are the most promising prospect (unless someone else has a better suggestion)

SO, THE BIG QUESTION IS, insulated or un-insulated.

insulated version has 400g of thinsulate.

my hunting conditions will include temp range from 70 degrees F to 20 degrees F damp and windy.
sandy conditions. rocky conditions. lots various burrs and anything the desert can grow to poke you.

I am afraid that the insulated version might be too hot on warm/hot days.

Some people have told me that insulation is helpful in cold and irrelevant in the heat. Is that true?

I need the opinions of those with more boot experience

1. I now see the wisdom and merits of much older generations.
2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i tend to only wear my boots when there is snow on the ground....in my case i run uninsulated and just wear varying thicknesses of wool socks depending how cold it is and just what i plan on doing....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you ain't sitting in the cold then light insulation will be fine. I've run 200grams for a lot of hunting in Alaska but had some heavier versions for other situations.

I own 1 pair of dress shoes but 10 pair of hunting boots for various purposes/weather conditions.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh, good socks and a liner sock also, regardless of temps I have 2 pair of socks on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you ain't sitting in the cold then light insulation will be fine.

What he said. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ 1 on everything but.... even the best fitting pair of boots wont fit like a "tennis-shoe" (or more specific a skateboarding shoe). They're totally different. Good fit and all day comfy - YES. Tennis shoe comfortable - NO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many pairs of insulated skate shoes do you have?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you hunt on a tennis court -- get a pair as comfoortable as a tennis shoe. Where I hunt, I need support for the uneven ground I'm on. I need water proof for the mid-shin deep swamps I go through. I need insulation for the temps I hunt in. I have several pairs of hunting boots as well:

1. A pair of sturdy hikers - light weight for ridge hunting in warmer temps.
2. A pair of Gore-tex thinsulate 200 grams for general hunting in temps down to -10*F.
3. A pair of felt pack rubber boots that are rated for -40*F.
4. A pair of felt pack snomobile type boots that are rated for -50*F for the drier, colder snowy conditions. I have hunted to as cold as -40. Even walking, your feet can get cold in good boots. Dry socks, boots that fit well, and boots that will let your feet breathe.

Most of you guys don't see all those conditions in a year.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Steelhead, what is a liner sock? Or more importantly how do you use them?
liner sock on foot then wool over that? or the other way around?

MadMooner, good point. I have no insulated skate shoes, but my time in them in really cold weather is limited.

the 2 greatest problems I have with boots is:
#1 when my feet don't move and flex when walking for hours they begin to ache.
#2 weight becomes cumbersome.

sounds like un-insulated is the way to go on this one based on what you guys have said.

2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
then you arent wearing the right boots, they should flex fine and not all of them are heavy, my knees are chit and i cant wear heavy footwear or ill be in pain in short order....hell i wont even try on a pair of shoes or boots without first checking the weight, ive got 2 pairs that go up to about the bottom of my calf muscle and arent that heavy, i can wear them all day just fine....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm kind of particular about my footwear now and days. For way too long I wore cheap shoes and boots and my knees and feet have paid the price. Good boots will last ten years or more if you take care of them. So, $200 boots ammortized over 10 years is only $20 a year. Worth every penny.
For your temps and conditions, I'd probably go with a lightly insulated, Not more than 400grams. I would then supplement that as needed with wool socks.

For reference purposes, I worked on hot tubs here in the Mountains of Wyoming for 2 winters wearing 600gram insulated boots wearing Smartwool sock liners. I would stand in snow to my knees for hours at a time and so long as my feet stayed dry (didn't sweat) My feet would stay warm. The biggest trick to warm comfortable feet is keeping them dry. That means both sweat and walking across streams or dewy meadows.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I am not hunting in the mountains I like the Danner Pronghorns. They are light, offer support, and are very comfortable to walk/hunt in. I have both insulated and uninsulated. If you are moving a lot unisulated should work fine. I stand hunt in northern Mn with 200 to 400 insulated boots with temps down to 0.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're hunting central Texas from Sept thru Dec., you might be well off with just uninsulated ankle-top hikers, or even comfortable walking shoes, and then add some canvas or leather gaiters. If you're doing a lot of hunting in freezing or wet weather, then you'd want something different.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Rattler, mind posting what brand and model you use?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks for the input SteveG.

I am hunting in central Tx and in south east New Mexico mostly.
both a semi-desert climate (central Tx) and desert climate (s.e. NM) temperatures can be be extreme, even just from morning to noon.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just from experence buy the 400 gr insulated they fit very well and are a great boot also in hot days they do work the way said in your letter. need water proof put a pair of rubbers over them.Rubber is the only thing that compleatley water proof

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one pair is Rocky the other is Browning....no clue on what model.....i buy most my hunting gear in Jan-April when its cheap grin both pairs are a couple years old, i tend to buy boots when they are on clearance.....both pairs are similar to this one but without or with very lil insulation

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-D...-Utility-Pro-Insulated-Waterproof-Boots/

Last edited by rattler; 12/20/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For 20 degree temps and on the move, uninsulated all day long. When I'm hunting I've always got Smartwool socks on. Liner socks could be polypropolene to wick the moisture away from your foot. A lot of people like silk liner socks as well, and the wool over them.

I'd likely run uninsulated Danner Pronghorns if I were you, in fact, they're my preference in boots for the last 5 years, new pair should be arriving this week.

For stand hunting in cooler weather you'll likely want some insulation. I've got to where I just wear a knee-high rubber boot like the Alpha Burly with good wool socks.

Like most of these guys I've got a half dozen pairs of boots that are used for varying conditions. Flat ground, steep ground, grasslands, wet, cold, etc. When I absolutely know it isn't going to be wet, I'm just as likely to wear a standard issue leather workboot, like a lace-up Redwing or Justin.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was considering redwing #432 (gore tex lined and 400g insulation)
or redwing #435 (gore tex without insulation)

they are lace up work boots with a fairly flexible mid and outsole not terribly heavy and felt pretty comfortable in the store.

[Linked Image] /Users/danielpope/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Dec 20, 2010_2/unnamed.jpg

I don't seem to know how to post pictures

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are the 435's you were talking about-

[Linked Image]

I myself prefer a 9" boot.

-----

For the picture 'quote' me and see how the img code works-

Last edited by Cheesy; 12/20/10.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.