Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got a visit from my old neighbor today. She has three kids, two are chefs and one is a nurse. She said something to me I thought was interesting. Her kids are 1/8 Italian. The rest is Portuguese, English and Irish. Her daughter refers to herself as being English and Irish. She even has an English and Irish boyfriend. Her two boys, after finishing culinary school, refer to themselves as being Italian! Whah? I'm Italian (half anyway) and realized that here in the flesh and bone world, I really only sit down and talk food with my Italian and Portuguese friends. I sit down with any of my Italian friends and within 10 minutes conversation will turn to food. If I was in Italy, I would be a member of a culinary society.

Men get together over each others houses and cook, drink wine and play Bocce! I think that would be just awesome.

I had a eureka moment and came up with the idea for a little society de culinaria here on the campfire. For us though, men, women, and children may participate. Posting recipes is great, but I've put up a bunch, and received very little feedback. I don't know if anyone has ever tried them.

Here's my idea.

1. There's 52 weeks in a year so we limit this to 26 people - one for every other week. If there's nada interest, we do 12 and have one for each month. Whatever, as long as everyone knows when they sign on.

2. Each person has to post 1 recipe that is near and dear to them that uses simple, inexpensive, easy to obtain ingredients. If Mannlicher posts something calling for poaching in duck fat, we can cry foul ( or fowl) and he's got to put up something different. Anyone can comment if they can't get the ingredients and the person will have to put up a new recipe. The prep time should be no longer than say, 1 hour. This must be done by a certain date. Say New Year's Day ( or later if you procrastinate).

3. Here's the good part. Everyone in the society within the given time period (2 weeks or 1 month or whatever is agreed on) has to cook each one of the recipes.

4. Each person has to comment on weather they do or don't like the recipe and why. It would be like taking a master class in cooking. Educational and great fun.

Where I'm from, I could pick something like

New England Clam Chowder
Brown Bread Muffins
Portuguese Sweet Bread
Baked Stuffed Lobster Fisherman's Style... (kiddin!)
The possibilities are endless. It should be something you are known for and think would be an instant hit with everyone here, not something you saw Bobby Flay do and think would give you big props. Personal, regional, or popular at parties. You choose.

What do you think?

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Girls have their book clubs, fat guys have their food clubs! Sounds like a fun project.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm interested if it's the once per month club. Neat idea, Rob.

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rob,
I like it.

Im not sure if I have a worthy one that is truly my own, but I will look.

I have a tiny cut of sicilian way back in the tree, and it must be making its way thru. I love talking about food and preparing all the parts. Esp the game meats.

My father does too. I have been making stocks and other things that my friends just think is nuts.

Again Merry Christmas.

Bob

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All in!

Good idea.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257wby
Girls have their book clubs, fat guys have their food clubs! Sounds like a fun project.

I don't have a book club, and I am not a fat guy/person, but I am big chested, does that get me in ?

Lynn

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by 257wby

I don't have a book club, and I am not a fat guy/person, but I am big chested, does that get me in ?

Lynn

You may go straight to the head of the line---PLEASE!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rob
I think this a great idea. I for one enjoy the recipes I have tried on the fire.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to apply to be the offcial taste tester. Each one sends a sample to me of each dish to sample.

I then get fatter! grin

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great idea! I am a fan of this food forum. I've got quite a few good recipes from here.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A picture is worth a thousand words... wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have some great Cuban recipes that I learned when living in Miami.
This one, Oxtail stew es muy delicioso, y muy f�cil
Ox Tail Stew
Three pounds oxtail segments
Flour, salt pepper, all mixed together
Vegetable oil
Two large onions, sliced thin
4 carrots, sliced thin
One large tomato, diced
4 or 5 (or 6 or 7) garlic cloves.
Two large red potatoes
Bay leaves
Oregano, thyme, ginger, salt, black pepper
4 cups beef broth, One cup red wine, An Argentine Malbec by Norton, is what I use.
Two tablespoons tomato paste
Two tsp burre manie

Flour the Ox Tail joints,
using a skillet, brown the Oxtails in the vegetable oil
Remove, and place in a Dutch oven.
In the remaining oil, brown the onion and garlic. Place in the Dutch oven with the meat and carrots. Add the beef broth, and red wine. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Season, and cook, covered, for two hours. Still occasionally.
Remove the lid, and add the potatoes, cook another 45 min.
Remove meat and potatoes from the Dutch oven. Keep warm. Pour the remaining liquid through a strainer, and return to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, and reduce. Add the burre manie, a little bit at a time until all incorporated. Return the meat to the Dutch oven, and cook for 15 min. Check seasoning a final time.
Serve with some of the gravy over the meat, and over the vegetables

Sam......

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, 12 people, 12 months, 12 recipes? No one for 24? It wouldn't be that hard as long as people keep it simple. 1 meal item every other week.

As of today, here's the ones from the post. Feel free to confirm or chicken out. Just make a post, and I'll add up.

Get this straight. You need to provide 1 recipe. We can put them all in a thread. Everyone has a month to try it, and they have to leave a comment about it. It can't be expensive or complicated. Start thinking about one of your absolute most favorite things to make and hold on tight.

.257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
RAS2
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
?????????
?????????

Let's leave it up a few days and see what happens. First come first served.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Now that right there is funny. Big Redhead asking for a picture of Big Chest...laffin!!

Is there a big chested redhead in the house?

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Now that right there is funny. Big Redhead asking for a picture of Big Chest...laffin!!

Is there a big chested redhead in the house?

I am a big cheated redhead....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to contribute, count me in!

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

.257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
RAS2
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
Duck911
????????

We get 12, I'll E mail everyone to confirm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good project and thanks for taking the lead.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
^

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
rob-

I'd like to suggest that you wait just a bit longer to hopefully get more participants.

Art?
Miss Treated?

As long as the recipes are posted openly, I think it's a great idea!

And, just for the record, I use the pork rubs you posted a LOT!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,380
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.