I got a visit from my old neighbor today. She has three kids, two are chefs and one is a nurse. She said something to me I thought was interesting. Her kids are 1/8 Italian. The rest is Portuguese, English and Irish. Her daughter refers to herself as being English and Irish. She even has an English and Irish boyfriend. Her two boys, after finishing culinary school, refer to themselves as being Italian! Whah? I'm Italian (half anyway) and realized that here in the flesh and bone world, I really only sit down and talk food with my Italian and Portuguese friends. I sit down with any of my Italian friends and within 10 minutes conversation will turn to food. If I was in Italy, I would be a member of a culinary society.

Men get together over each others houses and cook, drink wine and play Bocce! I think that would be just awesome.

I had a eureka moment and came up with the idea for a little society de culinaria here on the campfire. For us though, men, women, and children may participate. Posting recipes is great, but I've put up a bunch, and received very little feedback. I don't know if anyone has ever tried them.

Here's my idea.

1. There's 52 weeks in a year so we limit this to 26 people - one for every other week. If there's nada interest, we do 12 and have one for each month. Whatever, as long as everyone knows when they sign on.

2. Each person has to post 1 recipe that is near and dear to them that uses simple, inexpensive, easy to obtain ingredients. If Mannlicher posts something calling for poaching in duck fat, we can cry foul ( or fowl) and he's got to put up something different. Anyone can comment if they can't get the ingredients and the person will have to put up a new recipe. The prep time should be no longer than say, 1 hour. This must be done by a certain date. Say New Year's Day ( or later if you procrastinate).

3. Here's the good part. Everyone in the society within the given time period (2 weeks or 1 month or whatever is agreed on) has to cook each one of the recipes.

4. Each person has to comment on weather they do or don't like the recipe and why. It would be like taking a master class in cooking. Educational and great fun.

Where I'm from, I could pick something like

New England Clam Chowder
Brown Bread Muffins
Portuguese Sweet Bread
Baked Stuffed Lobster Fisherman's Style... (kiddin!)
The possibilities are endless. It should be something you are known for and think would be an instant hit with everyone here, not something you saw Bobby Flay do and think would give you big props. Personal, regional, or popular at parties. You choose.

What do you think?

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson