Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
JWP apparently didn't catch it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
your whole rant about winchester having "missed" on the 7-08 is flawed logic...

they have produced untold thousands of rifles chambered to that cartridge...
it was a particular boon to the classic featherweight rifle...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
JWP apparently didn't catch it.

Reloder28 did. Hardee-hardee-har. grin

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 9.3X74R will do the job on Cape Buffalo

Go back and read the post that you were responding to carefully..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you look back at P.O. Ackley's books, this has been done many years ago.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
65br, sorry to be the one to point it out to you. 270-08?If you go anywhere and buy a regular 270 Win with a 22" barrel(most are) and whatever mart ammo 2950 is about all you get if not less . Not only that but a LA and 22" barrel will be shorter than a SA and a 24" barrel to boot. Folks been a killing animals long time with LA 22" barrel 270 W's at 2900-3000 fps versus your idea of a SA and 24" barrel to spend more money on for the same results . You need to move on and think about winning the lottery or partially clad women or something else besides reinventing the wheel. MAGNUM MAN

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have looked at the 270-08 numerous times, but since I have a safe full of plain old 270 Winchesters, I could never justify it. Even as a looney.

I have a couple of FWT's, titanium, and even a faux Sendero chambered in 270 Win. I have successful loaded that cartridge down with starting powder charges and H4895 reduced loads.

So I do not need a 270-08. I cannot imagine that a SA rifle is going to make that big of a difference.

But if I ever burn the barrel out on a 7mm-08 that I have, I may look at it again. Never say never.

Arcus Venator
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
John, sure they made rifles and ammo w/Remington's headstamp.

Something alot of readers missed here, inc. Steelhead.

Above I said we would all be using 223s w/Barnes if all that mattered was using something that killed. I never said headstamp killed better.

What I have been talking about is WINCHESTER mfg. a new round, in a bore size that will be successful, in a non magnum platform housed in a short action.

Deertracker - the Redding is a 270-08 AI, that's different.

No Knees- personally I like a Howa more, build quality and action design, safer trigger and a one piece bolt/handle assembly.

Keith, what in the field can your 7/08AI DO on game, that cannot be done by a 260, 270-08, or a 7/08 using suitable bullets?

I find it ironic Ruger for a VERY long time was not making the 7/08. It sure seemed they did not want to acknowledge the round and lose sales in their rifles in other chamberings. No doubt, now Ruger is ALL but dropping the 260 Rem, while pushing the joint collaboration of Hornady's ballistic twin, a newbie on the block - the 6.5 Creedmoor.

MM - sure put some #s up and show me where the 130 corelokt 270 is vastly inferior, or that a 140 AB in 7mm is vastly superior. They all work. Never heard of a deer lost b/c it was hit w/a corelokt or Accubond hit thru vitals.

YET, again, MM, as I said, Why would Winchester load ammo for a new round THEY introduce, by using Rem Corelokts - a competitor? They would NOT. Regardless, BC in any of the 130-140s in 6.5, .277, or 7mm are all close enough for use on the bulk of deer shots/ranges. They all work fine, and kill fine, when put thru vitals, period.

Kevin, the Gack is just that, but it's simply the fact that of all the rounds that have come out and failed, I see the 270 done on a 308 as a very USEFUL practical round for the average deer hunter allowing shooters of any size to handle the recoil and housed in handy carbines. The gack is not to SELL the round, but to show it's not going to fail for lack of ballistic performance on deer sized game at most common sane ranges.

Con - good post. The 338F was/is a great concept, yet I think deer hunters THINK 270, 7mms, and 30 Cal's for 90% of the time save for youth, where they typically use 243s, but sometimes would really go for a larger round, yet larger w/tolerable recoil. Some youngsters really would do better w/less than 7mm-08 recoil. No doubt it does not take more than a good bullet from 223 to 243 if shot well, but the 338F was a practical idea yet not a big seller.

Keith you talk about 26-29" bbls in rounds that will do a deer in at half a mile. Not what I am talking about accomplishing here. Not many youth/kids will tote let alone shoot a 257 Mag or 6.5RM AI - again Factory ammo, easy recoil/blast, handy rifle.

Jim62, sure a 140 in a good bullet will do as well as a 270 or 6.5 of same, ALL work, never said they would not. If one wants to get Apples to Apples, let's RUN the 270/08 against a 7/08 BOTH with 140 Accubonds.........not much difference to spit.

MY point of a 140 Corelokt- that's what the 7/08 built it's reputation on, b/c it WORKED. The 130 AB in a 270-08 will do the same and then some, giving up nothing, so there is Nothing it's giving up to the 7/08 corelokt, and in reality EITHER with ANY deer bullet WILL kill fine all day long, when used properly.

Not running a horse race or pissing contest on ballistics here.

It seems ONE responder read my entire posts as he complained of a headache - sorry it was over the top for you. Yet other's must have skipped reading it as they somehow in error believe my premise of a 270-08 lies in some 'Magic Mystery Round' w/Pixie Dust killing far superior b/c of it's ballistic advantage.

NOT, re-read this and other posts of mine, inc. all other threads in my past. Headstamp does not kill as Steelhead says, as if I said that - NEVER implied.

The headstamp on the ammo, and rifle DOES however sell products.

That is what I am talking about. And seeing Winchester produce s sibling to it's 308 Pet, smack dab in the middle more or less, of it and the 243. Hmmm, add 243 + 308 = .551/2 = .2755. WOW, cannot think of ANYTHING more right IN the middle of the highly popular 243 and 308, one side seen more a varmint supreme by many hunters while the other more a sniper/military/tactical round, both crossing over on deer.

What OTHER caliber is closer to the .2755 number? Anyone? Anything closer than .0015?

The .277 - yes, that is THE closest to being DIRECTLY in between the 243 and 308.

But I digress, again...The headstamp on the ammo, and rifle DOES not kill, BUT it will sell products.

Do I need to repeat myself? LOL.

IF rifles are produced w/quality and affordability, as well as ammo, I think it will do fine. Even Hornady is smart enough to price their new 6.5 at a price that won't scare those considering on testing the waters.

Personally I'd rather use a 270-08 than nearly all of what's come out in last decade. Same proven bore size as the 85 yr old original, at about 95% the speed, all wrapped up in a short action package. With as many 243 and 308 fans, it seems that being directly in the middle, cannot be a bad place to be, a balanced round w/Pro's of each.

You ALL may disagree, but I think purely from a sales and marketing standpoint, for deer hunters who use factory ammo/rifles, this round has more potential than ALOT/MOST of what's been introduced in the past few years. Fact is, 95% of potential market is not made up of Loony's like us here.

Guys use what you want, I am sure ANY, EVERY, and ALL future new rounds many of you will say boring, as you have already picked your favorites and that's fine. I have no stake in this, but it WILL be interested if a mfg. does bring this round out how it fares.

I realize alot of folks here are not open to new ideas (even if PO Ackley had it DECADES ago), and it's ok if you see things differently.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
65br, sorry to be the one to point it out to you. 270-08?If you go anywhere and buy a regular 270 Win with a 22" barrel(most are) and whatever mart ammo 2950 is about all you get if not less . Not only that but a LA and 22" barrel will be shorter than a SA and a 24" barrel to boot. Folks been a killing animals long time with LA 22" barrel 270 W's at 2900-3000 fps versus your idea of a SA and 24" barrel to spend more money on for the same results . You need to move on and think about winning the lottery or partially clad women or something else besides reinventing the wheel. MAGNUM MAN

Glad you pointed that out sir, and you also know MOST 7mm-08s sold/used that have slayed alot of deer had 18.5 or 20" bbls at best, NOT getting what Remington or other ammo factories spec their ammo at 24 inches. SO yes, neither are most 270 Winchesters using a 24", the one I have DOES have a 24" bbl just so you know. Ballistically it's great. I don't use factory ammo.

Those that do, certainly, the 130 corelokt in Remmy ammo, often in 22" bbls in the past, killed LOTS of deer. THAT factory ammo Chronographed did not measure up to specs, but closer to what a top loaded 270-08 will do.

Just as many a 7/08 loads, in SAME length barrels shoot right with alot of 280 loads, SAME bullet weight. PRESSURE. That's the difference. I seem to recall talk about semi-auto's in 270s and 280s while 7/08s were mfg. from the get go with a bolt in mind.

Now I never talked about housing this round in a 24" short action, no interest in that, just as I have no interest in a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor in 26", not my cup of tea.

What I SAID, if you READ my post, SPEC the ammo in a 24" test bbl as MOST ALL rounds are done. Specs are often done in lab bbls that are longer than typical hunting rifles. The reality is, it's moot. A bullet never 'failed to kill' because it produced 5% less velocity than published specs. I ALSO SAID, put this round in a carbine, 20", no more than a 22" Featherweight, NEVER said put it in a 24" length barrel.

Magnum Man, you like Magnum's that's fine. I don't like the action's, having a bolt that nearly reaches back to your eye when cycling. You may be different, and that's fine. Shoot what you want.

If you want to read something interesting about 'Gack' go look up Ed Matuna's work on how 270 Winchester's fall short of published speeds, many factory loads, many rifles of various length barrels. Read his story LONG ago, and still have it.

That said, it's there, a shortfall, yet the 270 has always killed, and so will a 270-08 so tell me something I did not know.

You guys can re-analyze all the gack - but that never killed game, the animals cannot read, nor reason, nor analyze barrel lengths, recoil, blast, bullet drop, accuracy, what scope you use, nor do they know if your bullet came out of a Remington, Winchester, or whatever it may be. They don't even know if it said Magnum on it, and they die just the same - so Magnum Man, again, tell me something new.

I am not re-inventing the wheel, the 270-08 has NOT been done commercially - Fact. Fact - Jim Carmichael did not invent the 260 - despite his implying so.......

Fact - Magnum Man assumes what I know, and don't. Perhaps those who are quick to comment, should stop assuming....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 65BR
...MM - sure put some #s up and show me where the 130 corelokt 270 is vastly inferior, or that a 140 AB in 7mm is vastly superior. They all work. Never heard of a deer lost b/c it was hit w/a corelokt or Accubond hit thru vitals.

YET, again, MM, as I said, Why would Winchester load ammo for a new round THEY introduce, by using Rem Corelokts - a competitor? They would NOT. Regardless, BC in any of the 130-140s in 6.5, .277, or 7mm are all close enough for use on the bulk of deer shots/ranges. They all work fine, and kill fine, when put thru vitals, period....

Your original comparison was rigged (by your choice of bullets) to get your desired result. It didn't fool anyone with a lick of ballistic knowledge. That's my only point.

IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not rigged, not deceiving, but for a reason, as stated.

1) 7/08 BUILT it's reputation using ONE load - a 140 Corelokt - actually the 139 Hornady, often loaded now in 7/08, 280, and 7mag.

2) The 130 gr is THE bullet the 270 Winchester made it's reputation, and the company WINCHESTER loads Noslers, but not Corelokts.

But for interest to satisfy the apples to apples debate.

Accubond 140 in each, 7mm = 1.290 oal, .277 1.31 oal.

7mm-08/140 Accubond .485 B.C./2860mv - original factory spec

Muzzle 2860 2543
100 1.7 2676 2226
200 0.0 2499 1942
300 -7.3 2330 1688
400 -20.9 2168 1461
500 -42.0 2012 1258

Now...270-08/140 Accubond .496 B.C. ~ 2850 fps

Muzzle 2850 2525
100 1.7 2666 2210
200 0.0 2490 1927
300 -7.3 2322 1675
400 -21.1 2160 1450
500 -42.3 2004 1248

I spotted the 7mm 10fps+ of MV so...

Like I said in an earlier post, not enough difference to spit..literally.

So, again, MY gack is not to impress or win a pissing contest, just to show a 270-08 stands on it's own VERY well.

Ummm, Jim62, what were you saying about GOOD 7mm Boolits? Same/Same w/GOOD .277 bullets sir.

So............you guys have a good evening.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
you type alot but say very little

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A 270-08 would go over like a lead balloon with the buying public. A total waste of time and resources

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You type little and say nothing.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
With midweight hunting bullets of similar design they would do the same work.

What would set the 270-08 apart would be it's ability to send the 85-95gr 6.8 projo's at warp speed, for close range devastation.

What sets the 7-08 apart is it's ability to go long with the 162-180gr stuff with BCs in the .6+ range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 270-08 would go over like a lead balloon with the buying public. A total waste of time and resources.

+1 What a long winded pile of horse pucky on a totally unwanted round.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man

Glad you pointed that out sir, and you also know MOST 7mm-08s sold/used that have slayed alot of deer had 18.5 or 20" bbls at best, NOT getting what Remington or other ammo factories spec their ammo at 24 inches. SO yes, neither are most 270 Winchesters using a 24", the one I have DOES have a 24" bbl just so you know. Ballistically it's great. I don't use factory ammo.

Those that do, certainly, the 130 corelokt in Remmy ammo, often in 22" bbls in the past, killed LOTS of deer. THAT factory ammo Chronographed did not measure up to specs, but closer to what a top loaded 270-08 will do.

Just as many a 7/08 loads, in SAME length barrels shoot right with alot of 280 loads, SAME bullet weight. PRESSURE. That's the difference. I seem to recall talk about semi-auto's in 270s and 280s while 7/08s were mfg. from the get go with a bolt in mind.

Now I never talked about housing this round in a 24" short action, no interest in that, just as I have no interest in a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor in 26", not my cup of tea.

What I SAID, if you READ my post, SPEC the ammo in a 24" test bbl as MOST ALL rounds are done. Specs are often done in lab bbls that are longer than typical hunting rifles. The reality is, it's moot. A bullet never 'failed to kill' because it produced 5% less velocity than published specs. I ALSO SAID, put this round in a carbine, 20", no more than a 22" Featherweight, NEVER said put it in a 24" length barrel.

Magnum Man, you like Magnum's that's fine. I don't like the action's, having a bolt that nearly reaches back to your eye when cycling. You may be different, and that's fine. Shoot what you want.

If you want to read something interesting about 'Gack' go look up Ed Matuna's work on how 270 Winchester's fall short of published speeds, many factory loads, many rifles of various length barrels. Read his story LONG ago, and still have it.

That said, it's there, a shortfall, yet the 270 has always killed, and so will a 270-08 so tell me something I did not know.

You guys can re-analyze all the gack - but that never killed game, the animals cannot read, nor reason, nor analyze barrel lengths, recoil, blast, bullet drop, accuracy, what scope you use, nor do they know if your bullet came out of a Remington, Winchester, or whatever it may be. They don't even know if it said Magnum on it, and they die just the same - so Magnum Man, again, tell me something new.

I am not re-inventing the wheel, the 270-08 has NOT been done commercially - Fact. Fact - Jim Carmichael did not invent the 260 - despite his implying so.......

Fact - Magnum Man assumes what I know, and don't. Perhaps those who are quick to comment, should stop assuming....

The time it would take to read that I wouldn't spend with a friend contemplating suicide.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
You type little and say nothing.

Unfortunately you type a hell of a lot and say nothing of importance

Fortunately I have the ability to get to the point without writing a novel, you on the other hand not so much

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Proud to say I didn't read any post over 3 sentences...

But, given the amount of words, I'm going to guess the OP wants one?

Go for it. Spend your money. It's fun to learn the hard way sometimes. Kill a big animal with it and come rub our noses in it..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He wants Winchester to bring it out as a factory round. He wrote 2 novels and that is the extent of the thread

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.