Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
65br, sorry to be the one to point it out to you. 270-08?If you go anywhere and buy a regular 270 Win with a 22" barrel(most are) and whatever mart ammo 2950 is about all you get if not less . Not only that but a LA and 22" barrel will be shorter than a SA and a 24" barrel to boot. Folks been a killing animals long time with LA 22" barrel 270 W's at 2900-3000 fps versus your idea of a SA and 24" barrel to spend more money on for the same results . You need to move on and think about winning the lottery or partially clad women or something else besides reinventing the wheel. MAGNUM MAN

Glad you pointed that out sir, and you also know MOST 7mm-08s sold/used that have slayed alot of deer had 18.5 or 20" bbls at best, NOT getting what Remington or other ammo factories spec their ammo at 24 inches. SO yes, neither are most 270 Winchesters using a 24", the one I have DOES have a 24" bbl just so you know. Ballistically it's great. I don't use factory ammo.

Those that do, certainly, the 130 corelokt in Remmy ammo, often in 22" bbls in the past, killed LOTS of deer. THAT factory ammo Chronographed did not measure up to specs, but closer to what a top loaded 270-08 will do.

Just as many a 7/08 loads, in SAME length barrels shoot right with alot of 280 loads, SAME bullet weight. PRESSURE. That's the difference. I seem to recall talk about semi-auto's in 270s and 280s while 7/08s were mfg. from the get go with a bolt in mind.

Now I never talked about housing this round in a 24" short action, no interest in that, just as I have no interest in a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor in 26", not my cup of tea.

What I SAID, if you READ my post, SPEC the ammo in a 24" test bbl as MOST ALL rounds are done. Specs are often done in lab bbls that are longer than typical hunting rifles. The reality is, it's moot. A bullet never 'failed to kill' because it produced 5% less velocity than published specs. I ALSO SAID, put this round in a carbine, 20", no more than a 22" Featherweight, NEVER said put it in a 24" length barrel.

Magnum Man, you like Magnum's that's fine. I don't like the action's, having a bolt that nearly reaches back to your eye when cycling. You may be different, and that's fine. Shoot what you want.

If you want to read something interesting about 'Gack' go look up Ed Matuna's work on how 270 Winchester's fall short of published speeds, many factory loads, many rifles of various length barrels. Read his story LONG ago, and still have it.

That said, it's there, a shortfall, yet the 270 has always killed, and so will a 270-08 so tell me something I did not know.

You guys can re-analyze all the gack - but that never killed game, the animals cannot read, nor reason, nor analyze barrel lengths, recoil, blast, bullet drop, accuracy, what scope you use, nor do they know if your bullet came out of a Remington, Winchester, or whatever it may be. They don't even know if it said Magnum on it, and they die just the same - so Magnum Man, again, tell me something new.

I am not re-inventing the wheel, the 270-08 has NOT been done commercially - Fact. Fact - Jim Carmichael did not invent the 260 - despite his implying so.......

Fact - Magnum Man assumes what I know, and don't. Perhaps those who are quick to comment, should stop assuming....

The time it would take to read that I wouldn't spend with a friend contemplating suicide.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"