Originally Posted by 65BR
JWP, agree, ballistics alone will never make a round successfully and the package I proposed was in a handy short actioned carbine. Know a fella who put a surplus 7x57 bbl on a Ruger, turned down the steps, chopped at 19 or 20" at spits 140s at 3k, pressure unknown, but in a handy light stock. Works.

No doubt, the 280 is a slower mover, the 7/08 better, both same bore size, yet the 7/08 is in a package that has a niche demand.

Sometimes a cartridge fins its own niche, even when that niche is different than the one the designer had in mind.

For instance, Jack Huntington designed the 500 JRH in order to fit a 50 caliber cartridge into the FA-83. FA seemed interested in the cartridge and asked Jack for spec's on chambering and for cases. Jack thought that FA intended to produce the FA-83 in 500 JRH, but they did not. FA brought out a near ballistic twin but with a belt instead of a rim to chamber in the FA-83.

Here comes the amazing part. BFR started chambering the 500 JRH in the BFR's from the custom shop. The BFR doesn't need the small rim to fit in there cylinder the way that the FA-83 does. BFR is going to announce at this years shot show that the 500 JRH will now be offered in the across the counter BFR's and Grizzly ammo is making the factory ammo for the cartridge.

I know this because Grizzly is using my 500 JRH to test and evaluate their factory ammo.

Not as big of a fool as you think there hotshot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first