Originally Posted by czech1022
Oh wow - 65BR creates a whole new cartridge (270/08) to sell the idea that a lighter bullet can go faster and kick less than a heavier bullet in a 7mm-08. Really?

Guess what? I can do it too! A .284 bullet 10gr lighter than your proposed 130gr in a 270-08 can easily go faster and kick less - and I don't have to invent a new cartridge, buy a new rifle or rebarrel anything that I already have. Plus, I already have the advantages that come with a short action.

All I have to do is load a 120gr bullet in my 7mm-08. Ta da!

Please tell Winchester to send all the money they saved by not creating a new cartridge to me!

CZ......school me, since you think you have something I haven't learned........shot the 7/08 extensively 30 years ago, along with the 270 WCF, and the 6.5x55, and the 6.5/308 - BEFORE the 260 Rem was on the scene.......etc. I dropped more than a few deer and other animals with 243s, 6mmBRs and a 7BR. Yes, the 120 in the 7/08 is a good combo, but I like BC and SD and prefer a 140-150 as a better all arounder. Though I have killed using 130 SSPs in that round. Hard to find something that will not work in the 7/08 when placed, but the TNT would not be a solid choice for hunting, as you may know, nor the 120 V-max, if we are talking use on game. Personally, I would rather use a 6.5 when pushing 120 - 130s.

1) A few of us older folks, spent a bit of time in the past having interesting discussions - as a past time you might say.
2) Did I or do I feel the 270/08 filled any 'need' or void? Not at all. But I did spark many replies, and some thought.

We have plenty rounds to do what is needed in the field and range for that matter, and more powders and bullets as well, so enjoy your flavor.

Interesting development since my OP.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/

Last edited by 65BR; 06/06/23.