Mathman, agreed.

VA, give me YOUR ideas sir.

Winchester has lots out on LOTS of sales to Rem M7 carbines, in 7/08.

Is there ANY reason WHY a M70 Carbine in a 270-08 cannot do ANYTHING and EVERTHING that a Rem mfg. M7 7/08 can?

So you are telling me that there IS no market for a tolerable recoiling rifle, that is light/handy and kills as well as what YOU guys already say are top choices in cartridges?

So if true - how many guys buy a rifle in 270 Winchester, chop the barrel off at 18.5 or 20" and call it good for a kids/youth/ladies rifle?

Steelhead, sir, I know you have had some deep rooted pains from personal issues that gnaw on you, and I am happy that I can provide a punching bag for you to vent. I hope it is good therapy and your mental health improves. I do wish you a better future.

In fact, my whole post was generated to help you and VA and others.

JWP, obviously one cannot learn who knows it all. You apparently do. You should stop coming to the campfire to read others comments sir.

Azar- nice points, yet how does one Accurately assess demand, when there has been NO 270-08 as an OPTION to chose from in the marketplace? One cannot, as their is no sales history and I have yet to see any 'Market Research' to back up that statement.

Your question about what DOES a 270-08 offer, a round suited for a short action carbine. Any reason why someone would buy a 7/08, applies to the 270-08.

None the less, you guys all have your bases covered w/what YOU need so you don't really need a new rifle so it's pointless for me to discuss a new round of any kind at all.

I do agree what one poster said, a 6.8 SPC likely will do for 90% of all hunting needs. No doubt it and alot will using good bullets. But, I don't believe the 6.8 will have any big fan base outside AR platforms.

I also agree and have pushed a long time for mfg. to bring out fast twisted bolt actions (1 in 8") 223, 22-250, and 243s.

Surely that won't be considered profitable either, or a mfg. would have already done it.

Nope - anything new from here on in any product design is re-inventing the wheel so we should all save ourselves time and not waste time reading other's threads about potential future ideas smile