Originally Posted by 65BR
Coldbore - indeed we all here - Loony's who gravitate towards what works best for them, get opinionated. And MY opinion is as much as I like and use the 6.5-308 Winchester, have no expectations for it to ever become a staple round among the masses - when talking deer hunters.

The 243 has a niche for that large market - often as a round used for beginners/kids, etc. YET, how often do they want to 'graduate' to something larger, as if they feel the need to use a larger caliber? OFTEN. Most grown men would rather use a Larger than 24 bore, if anything for ego, let alone confidence. Granted the industry will sell 2 rifles this way, start them on a 243 and go to something larger, later.

Your talk about bullet choices in other calibers, great for handloaders, is I believe a non-issue for factory ammo guys. They don't need nor care to shoot 3 dozen different bullet weights and types, and will not. They want a round that has 2-3 bullets that do a darned good job at what they are hunting, IMHO.

I like, use, and have used alot of rounds regardless of headstamp. Being far more 'thinking' than the average deer hunter, the headstamp is meaningless to me. Not that I am smarter, but I am an 'enthusiast' where as most deer hunters just want to kill deer, they simply do not get into rifles and ballistics as we do and don't care to, as they just want to use something that works in a rifle that they like, that fits them well, and does the job.

Rem has the 260 and 7/08 and will see no reason to do a 27-08, NOR acknowledge any success to Winchester's 270. WHY do you suppose Rem named their SPC, '6.8mm' - just to be metric for the military? I am not so sure.

Winchester created the 270, (bore size) and the 243/308 Win rounds - both at either side of a 270-08, the 308 as you all know being the parent case.

Again, if the 270-08 does come out - I could care less if anyone uses it, but I view it as a viable round both ballistically and from a market niche standpoint.

NOBODY dared challenged John Barsness from speaking to why industries bring out new rounds, and drop them later after making a quick dollar, NOR anything else he says........I find that interesting. Not that I disagree, but it's funny why that is.

John Barsness clearly said, new rounds come out to occupy niches. And so it is MY idea of what niche a 270-08 would be in. Yet everyone here wants to change the meaning of everything I have said. Either lacking in reading, comprehension, or simply wanting to quickly jump on the bandwagon of 'lets slam this idea' - why? 'Just because others are, and I don't like it, and I don't want it' ignoring you guys here represent a minutia of consumers in the marketplace.

I am STILL waiting for you masterminds to come up with a proposed idea of a NEW RIFLE ROUND that WILL GUARANTEE a success in the marketplace.

Who wants to go first? LOL.

OH, VA, that's right, you spoke - sure it's no secret that Remington is not my favorite rifle action and I think that's a thorn in your side. Sorry you take it personally.

IMO the 270-08 already exists, the 7mm08, and the 260 rem. It would take equipment more sensitive than the human ear to discern the difference in muzzle blast, and more sensitive than ones shoulder to tell the difference in recoil. Any difference in trajectory or killing power would be on paper or in someones imagination. All three will fit in the identical rifles. I am sure there would be rifles sold if it was legitimized, but there were a few rifles sold in a few other now almost dead cartridges,like the 7 SAUM which, I own and would not have purchased had I not bought on a closeout and gotten for a very cheep price. You are trying to fill a niche that is already full.

Last edited by montanabadger; 12/28/10.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."