Originally Posted by 65BR
Most here know I am a 6.5 fan, and built a 6.5-308 win before the Saami Asquare/ala 260 Rem came out. It's a good one, yet I find MOST of my shooting is going to be using a 130 Accubond on deer.

Personally I'd rather have something w/o the Remmy name on it, a 6.5x47 Lapua may yet be in my future, we shall see. I like the Creedmoor, but don't like the name, and if I am going to run a round that has proprietary brass, I will run a 47 Lapua.

WTM45 - exactly, all my 'Gack' in my first post is good commentary to SUPPORT the Basic Simple Concept.

It is this guys:

A 270 Winchester - proven since 1925 - STANDING THE TEST OF TIME - for 85 years, ALL rolled up in a short action, w/no more than about 100 fps sacrifice, if that, using modern powders/loads in a 270-08 vs. what loads the 270 built it's reputation on.

MANY factory loads for the 270 bought at 'Mart-Mart' are econo priced loads, simple cup/core that have been doing their stuff for decades.

YET, who offers/uses/buys/builds a 270 Winchester, a long action round, in a compact Short Action Carbine? NOBODY.

The 7/08 found it's niche in a Model 7. The round built it's brand/reputation upon one load, a 140 Corelokt that at inception, and up until more recently, was actually a 139 Hornady for you guru's, and it was actually loaded initially w/IIRC 49 gr of what appeared to be W760, later production showed 1-2 gr less per Layne Simpson. That was 1981. Typical Factory 140 gr 7/08 speeds are around 2800, maybe a little less in carbines, and original M7's were 18.5", unlike the factory test barrels being 24", so there are TWO KNOWN facts here:

1) 270 success since 1925, proven w/130 grain
2) Hunters/buying consumers seeing a 'need' for a compact efficient, effective carbine w/light recoil that youth, women and adults alike can maneuver in tight corners whether thick woods, climbing up a deer stand, or in a deer blind where a long barrel is difficult to get out a window.

Combine the 270 in a short action carbine, which is done best by making into a 270-08, and you have a deer hunting package great for all.

A 270-08 in a M70 Featherweight 22" bbl, and some SS/Syn carbines at 20" to rival Rem's M7, yet with a thicker less 'whippy' barrel, and you have a recipe for a Great handling mild recoiling flat shooting deer slayer EQUAL to my 260 w/130 Accubond.

The 6.5-308 has few flies on it, a BALANCED deer cartridge, yet I doubt the 260 will EVER supplant the success of the 270. YET, to get a non magnum 270, one has to get a long action rifle.

The 270-08 SOLVES that very dilema.

If speed alone sold, every deer hunter would use a 240 or 257 Weatherby round. They don't, not even the swift.

If power alone, the 416 mag's......

I think seeing the long term lackluster sales of the WSM and WSSM shows the 'MASSES' don't feel the NEED for Warp Speed.

The 338 Federal, a great round, yet not setting record sales.

The 270 ALWAYS has been a top choice for deer hunters. It's bore size is known. I believe when it comes to deer hunters in the USA, 3 bore sizes are considered 'Best'....

the 270, 7mm and 30 cal as most feel anything larger is 'TOO big' and kicks too much.......and anything smaller are better suited for kids/women, etc.

Steelhead, as a 'Loony' I WANT a 250 one day, yet we KNOW a 6mmBR with proper bullets will equal and better it downrange and I know a 243 Fast twisted will beat a 250AI Downrange, yet I still want to use one. WHY? It STILL gets the job done, with little blast or recoil, not to mention it's not what every Tom Dick and Harry use.

That same thought process is why many use a 260, low recoil/blast, flat accurate deadly and hey, it's different than the boring '06 and old 270 Winchester, and besides, it's all rolled up in a handy short action package, a nicety to have if you desire.

The concept of a 270-08 may not capture the lion's share of the Loony market as why not a 260 or 7/08, or Creedmoor, etc.

Yet I can imagine a dad telling his son, "How about we get YOU a new rifle in 270, just like Dad's, but in a short light rifle YOU can carry and handle? And w/a little less recoil?

What is NOT to like? Truly if NEED had anything to do w/what we all here use, we'd all be stuck using a 30-06 and I never enjoyed shooting one.........besides, every deer hit w/lesser cartridges died fine when I did my part.

Ballistics and paper comparisons, apples to apples, OR oranges don't kill game.

We all now that. Shot placement w/good bullets DOES - every time.

What the 270-08 offers Joe Blow the deer hunter, is a round he can identify with in caliber size and ballistic performance, in a handy short action rifle.

THAT is what the round offers, and where it would best make sense and what platform would like sell best.

Lots of passion wrapped up in something that has a next-to-none chance commercially.

With the 308, 7mm-08, 260, and 243 already here and established, you're splitting hairs to say that you can offer something in 130 grain (WOW! That's it's only real "difference" whistle ), when I can get 120, 125, 129, 140, etc bullets in other chamberings that surround it in weight and/or size on all sides.