Campfire Oracle
S
For after that call: 800-273-8255

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lets get everyone involved: Hornady can make a flatpoint 130 gr. .277 bullet for the 270 Billy Norris and a Leverevolution 130, fill it with ultramodern Leverevolution powder....

Bettin' "Life is a Highway" is playing in the backround....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Another novel, about nothing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Betting it is, too funny

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Boils down to:

"WAAAAAAAA.... I think I know something, but no one agrees with my idea to reinvent the wheel so I'm going to throw a fit and write super-long whines until someone/anyone agrees with me .... WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAA......"

Scary thing is, Winchester has a history of stupidity high enough to actually do it, and lose their azz (again) in the attempt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The OP may have gotten into Gus' stash, though it doesn't seem to have quite the same effect.

The pondered cartridge sounds (ballistically) a lot like the 6.8SPC (now THERE'S a round that set the sales world on fire).

Winchester would be far better served by making rifles that shooters/hunters actually want than rolling the dice on gimmicky schit and new cartridges that do nothing (effectively) that existing cartridges haven't already been doing for a good, long while. I.e., they should have learned their lesson from the WSSMs, .225Win, .307Win, .356Win, etc., experiments.

Prezactly.
I would rather have the rifle I want in the good ol 308, 270, Ought-Six, or 300/338 Win mag than all these odd-ball cartridges.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't see any of you guys that are at the helm of Remington, Winchester, or Hornady making successful product ideas profitable.

Until you come up w/something better, you can keep talking how much better your opinion is......and how someone else's idea will not succeed, when you have nothing to base that on. It's an unknown. All opinion.

It amazes me how many of you talk about something you don't know, b/c your replies prove you want to aSSuME things and comment, w/o reading and understanding.

Reading and Comprehension may not be your forte, and I accept that.

VA, I am sure you know alot, but you are not alone my friend.

Those with closed minds stop learning, perhaps you all have done so.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
The OP may have gotten into Gus' stash, though it doesn't seem to have quite the same effect.

The pondered cartridge sounds (ballistically) a lot like the 6.8SPC (now THERE'S a round that set the sales world on fire).

Winchester would be far better served by making rifles that shooters/hunters actually want than rolling the dice on gimmicky schit and new cartridges that do nothing (effectively) that existing cartridges haven't already been doing for a good, long while. I.e., they should have learned their lesson from the WSSMs, .225Win, .307Win, .356Win, etc., experiments.

Prezactly.
I would rather have the rifle I want in the good ol 308, 270, Ought-Six, or 300/338 Win mag than all these odd-ball cartridges.

Better change your username - 340 is an oddball.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Oh... Oh....

I know, I have a GREAT idea!

Let's take a company that has produced one of the most succesful hunting cartridges in history on a long-action platform....

And, who recently produced a new cartridge in the same caliber, but slightly more powerful, on a short-action platform....

But, that new cartridge is only slightly more than marginally successful...

And, the new cartridge had to cut into the sales of the original cartridge to manage even that...

Yep, let's get them to introduce ANOTHER new cartridge in the same caliber, again on a short-action platform, but this time slightly LESS powerful than the original, thereby further cutting into the sales of the original AND into the already not-overly-impressive sales of the other new SA cartridge.

Oh, and not only does this new theorized cartridge not do anything that our original or the recently introduced cartridge won't do equally well or better, but it also is going to go head-to-head with not one but TWO well-established rounds offered by our major competitor, either of which equal or best it in any category, from ballistics to load data to bullet selection to BC of the bullets...

Yep, that's just freakin' brilliant.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Winchester would deserve "manufacturer of the year" status if they just started putting 1-9" 1-8" twists in their .223,.22-250 and .243WIN chambered rifles!

Fixed it for you. grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 65BR
I don't see any of you guys that are at the helm of Remington, Winchester, or Hornady making successful product ideas profitable.

Until you come up w/something better, you can keep talking how much better your opinion is......and how someone else's idea will not succeed, when you have nothing to base that on. It's an unknown. All opinion.

It amazes me how many of you talk about something you don't know, b/c your replies prove you want to aSSuME things and comment, w/o reading and understanding.

Lee?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Are you inferring that you are?

Your opinion has merit how?

YOur Gone WIth The Wind size posts have shown that you say nothing of merit and haven't a clue

If you'd like to see what a non-comprehending person looks like, look in the mirror

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with learning

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've read through the entire thread (yes, even all the long posts) and thought I'd offer my $0.02 (for whatever it's worth).

Each of us has our own experiences and preferences and our own idea of what the market will accept or ignore. I think that most here have expressed skepticism that the mass public would pay much, if any, attention to the new round. I would have to agree. The 7mm-08 is a success, but only moderately so and only after a slow gain over 30 years. The .308 was designed as a military round and thus had an advantage at being widely adopted. The .243 filled a niche that hunters were already asking for. The improperly twisted .244 Rem has was found to be unsuitable as a dual purpose cartridge and the .243 happily swooped in and met the hunters demands. That's the key. The market was ready for a dual-purpose varmint / medium game cartridge in a 24 caliber rifle. Winchester recognized this and capitalized on it. There is no demand for a .270-08 whether or not the round has merit. That alone tells me it will be the next .358 Win, .338 Federal, .260 Remington... Worthwhile rounds that are largely ignored.

The 7mm Remington Magnum established the 7mm caliber to the minds of american hunters. The 7mm-08 was able to feed off that success as the "non-magnum" american 7mm. The .270 Winchester already is the non-magnum .277 caliber round. And it's hugely popular. That's the biggest problem the .270-08 faces. The .270 owns the .277 caliber space. It has near 100% mindshare. It already has the "non-magnum" round in .277 caliber covered. What does the .270-08 offer over it? What does it have that would set the market "on fire"? A short action? I'd be willing to wager that 75% or more of non-loony's couldn't even tell you what the difference between short action and long action cartridges are, let alone name the two most popular ones.

I believe it to be a potentially worthwhile cartridge that would appeal to a very narrow (loony) market. Developing a new caliber for a small niche market isn't very profitable. I think Winchester probably has learned that from most of the WSM/WSSM's already.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most here know I am a 6.5 fan, and built a 6.5-308 win before the Saami Asquare/ala 260 Rem came out. It's a good one, yet I find MOST of my shooting is going to be using a 130 Accubond on deer.

Personally I'd rather have something w/o the Remmy name on it, a 6.5x47 Lapua may yet be in my future, we shall see. I like the Creedmoor, but don't like the name, and if I am going to run a round that has proprietary brass, I will run a 47 Lapua.

WTM45 - exactly, all my 'Gack' in my first post is good commentary to SUPPORT the Basic Simple Concept.

It is this guys:

A 270 Winchester - proven since 1925 - STANDING THE TEST OF TIME - for 85 years, ALL rolled up in a short action, w/no more than about 100 fps sacrifice, if that, using modern powders/loads in a 270-08 vs. what loads the 270 built it's reputation on.

MANY factory loads for the 270 bought at 'Mart-Mart' are econo priced loads, simple cup/core that have been doing their stuff for decades.

YET, who offers/uses/buys/builds a 270 Winchester, a long action round, in a compact Short Action Carbine? NOBODY.

The 7/08 found it's niche in a Model 7. The round built it's brand/reputation upon one load, a 140 Corelokt that at inception, and up until more recently, was actually a 139 Hornady for you guru's, and it was actually loaded initially w/IIRC 49 gr of what appeared to be W760, later production showed 1-2 gr less per Layne Simpson. That was 1981. Typical Factory 140 gr 7/08 speeds are around 2800, maybe a little less in carbines, and original M7's were 18.5", unlike the factory test barrels being 24", so there are TWO KNOWN facts here:

1) 270 success since 1925, proven w/130 grain
2) Hunters/buying consumers seeing a 'need' for a compact efficient, effective carbine w/light recoil that youth, women and adults alike can maneuver in tight corners whether thick woods, climbing up a deer stand, or in a deer blind where a long barrel is difficult to get out a window.

Combine the 270 in a short action carbine, which is done best by making into a 270-08, and you have a deer hunting package great for all.

A 270-08 in a M70 Featherweight 22" bbl, and some SS/Syn carbines at 20" to rival Rem's M7, yet with a thicker less 'whippy' barrel, and you have a recipe for a Great handling mild recoiling flat shooting deer slayer EQUAL to my 260 w/130 Accubond.

The 6.5-308 has few flies on it, a BALANCED deer cartridge, yet I doubt the 260 will EVER supplant the success of the 270. YET, to get a non magnum 270, one has to get a long action rifle.

The 270-08 SOLVES that very dilema.

If speed alone sold, every deer hunter would use a 240 or 257 Weatherby round. They don't, not even the swift.

If power alone, the 416 mag's......

I think seeing the long term lackluster sales of the WSM and WSSM shows the 'MASSES' don't feel the NEED for Warp Speed.

The 338 Federal, a great round, yet not setting record sales.

The 270 ALWAYS has been a top choice for deer hunters. It's bore size is known. I believe when it comes to deer hunters in the USA, 3 bore sizes are considered 'Best'....

the 270, 7mm and 30 cal as most feel anything larger is 'TOO big' and kicks too much.......and anything smaller are better suited for kids/women, etc.

Steelhead, as a 'Loony' I WANT a 250 one day, yet we KNOW a 6mmBR with proper bullets will equal and better it downrange and I know a 243 Fast twisted will beat a 250AI Downrange, yet I still want to use one. WHY? It STILL gets the job done, with little blast or recoil, not to mention it's not what every Tom Dick and Harry use.

That same thought process is why many use a 260, low recoil/blast, flat accurate deadly and hey, it's different than the boring '06 and old 270 Winchester, and besides, it's all rolled up in a handy short action package, a nicety to have if you desire.

The concept of a 270-08 may not capture the lion's share of the Loony market as why not a 260 or 7/08, or Creedmoor, etc.

Yet I can imagine a dad telling his son, "How about we get YOU a new rifle in 270, just like Dad's, but in a short light rifle YOU can carry and handle? And w/a little less recoil?

What is NOT to like? Truly if NEED had anything to do w/what we all here use, we'd all be stuck using a 30-06 and I never enjoyed shooting one.........besides, every deer hit w/lesser cartridges died fine when I did my part.

Ballistics and paper comparisons, apples to apples, OR oranges don't kill game.

We all now that. Shot placement w/good bullets DOES - every time.

What the 270-08 offers Joe Blow the deer hunter, is a round he can identify with in caliber size and ballistic performance, in a handy short action rifle.

THAT is what the round offers, and where it would best make sense and what platform would like sell best.

Lots of passion wrapped up in something that has a next-to-none chance commercially.

With the 308, 7mm-08, 260, and 243 already here and established, you're splitting hairs to say that you can offer something in 130 grain (WOW! That's it's only real "difference" whistle ), when I can get 120, 125, 129, 140, etc bullets in other chamberings that surround it in weight and/or size on all sides.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy

Prezactly.

Better change your username - 340 is an oddball.

True, that.
lolol.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nope, the sand in his mangina is from "having" to use something with the "blasphemous" Remington name on the cartridge for a "non-magnum" in a short-action, or use the "holy" Winchester name and be saddled with the "burden" of either a long-action or the apostacy of the word "magnum" on the cartridge.

Oh, the horrors...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
...the "blasphemous" Remington name on the cartridge for a "non-magnum" in a short-action, or use the "holy" Winchester name...

Well, there IS that I guess, looking back through some of it.

Myself, I'll gladly shoot my Remington rifles chambered in 243 Winchester or 308 Winchester (which bracket the 270 caliber quite nicely), 264 Win Mag, 300 Win Mag, or any of the others likewise named, and be quite content with both names involved. It also doesn't bother me a bit to run Remington ammo through my old Win Model 12 either. I guess I'm an equal opportunity employer between the two. whistle

I wonder if Remington took off on the idea, and actually produced a 270-08, if he would still be so enamored of the wonder-round? laugh

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mathman, agreed.

VA, give me YOUR ideas sir.

Winchester has lots out on LOTS of sales to Rem M7 carbines, in 7/08.

Is there ANY reason WHY a M70 Carbine in a 270-08 cannot do ANYTHING and EVERTHING that a Rem mfg. M7 7/08 can?

So you are telling me that there IS no market for a tolerable recoiling rifle, that is light/handy and kills as well as what YOU guys already say are top choices in cartridges?

So if true - how many guys buy a rifle in 270 Winchester, chop the barrel off at 18.5 or 20" and call it good for a kids/youth/ladies rifle?

Steelhead, sir, I know you have had some deep rooted pains from personal issues that gnaw on you, and I am happy that I can provide a punching bag for you to vent. I hope it is good therapy and your mental health improves. I do wish you a better future.

In fact, my whole post was generated to help you and VA and others.

JWP, obviously one cannot learn who knows it all. You apparently do. You should stop coming to the campfire to read others comments sir.

Azar- nice points, yet how does one Accurately assess demand, when there has been NO 270-08 as an OPTION to chose from in the marketplace? One cannot, as their is no sales history and I have yet to see any 'Market Research' to back up that statement.

Your question about what DOES a 270-08 offer, a round suited for a short action carbine. Any reason why someone would buy a 7/08, applies to the 270-08.

None the less, you guys all have your bases covered w/what YOU need so you don't really need a new rifle so it's pointless for me to discuss a new round of any kind at all.

I do agree what one poster said, a 6.8 SPC likely will do for 90% of all hunting needs. No doubt it and alot will using good bullets. But, I don't believe the 6.8 will have any big fan base outside AR platforms.

I also agree and have pushed a long time for mfg. to bring out fast twisted bolt actions (1 in 8") 223, 22-250, and 243s.

Surely that won't be considered profitable either, or a mfg. would have already done it.

Nope - anything new from here on in any product design is re-inventing the wheel so we should all save ourselves time and not waste time reading other's threads about potential future ideas smile

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Coldbore - indeed we all here - Loony's who gravitate towards what works best for them, get opinionated. And MY opinion is as much as I like and use the 6.5-308 Winchester, have no expectations for it to ever become a staple round among the masses - when talking deer hunters.

The 243 has a niche for that large market - often as a round used for beginners/kids, etc. YET, how often do they want to 'graduate' to something larger, as if they feel the need to use a larger caliber? OFTEN. Most grown men would rather use a Larger than 24 bore, if anything for ego, let alone confidence. Granted the industry will sell 2 rifles this way, start them on a 243 and go to something larger, later.

Your talk about bullet choices in other calibers, great for handloaders, is I believe a non-issue for factory ammo guys. They don't need nor care to shoot 3 dozen different bullet weights and types, and will not. They want a round that has 2-3 bullets that do a darned good job at what they are hunting, IMHO.

I like, use, and have used alot of rounds regardless of headstamp. Being far more 'thinking' than the average deer hunter, the headstamp is meaningless to me. Not that I am smarter, but I am an 'enthusiast' where as most deer hunters just want to kill deer, they simply do not get into rifles and ballistics as we do and don't care to, as they just want to use something that works in a rifle that they like, that fits them well, and does the job.

Rem has the 260 and 7/08 and will see no reason to do a 27-08, NOR acknowledge any success to Winchester's 270. WHY do you suppose Rem named their SPC, '6.8mm' - just to be metric for the military? I am not so sure.

Winchester created the 270, (bore size) and the 243/308 Win rounds - both at either side of a 270-08, the 308 as you all know being the parent case.

Again, if the 270-08 does come out - I could care less if anyone uses it, but I view it as a viable round both ballistically and from a market niche standpoint.

NOBODY dared challenged John Barsness from speaking to why industries bring out new rounds, and drop them later after making a quick dollar, NOR anything else he says........I find that interesting. Not that I disagree, but it's funny why that is.

John Barsness clearly said, new rounds come out to occupy niches. And so it is MY idea of what niche a 270-08 would be in. Yet everyone here wants to change the meaning of everything I have said. Either lacking in reading, comprehension, or simply wanting to quickly jump on the bandwagon of 'lets slam this idea' - why? 'Just because others are, and I don't like it, and I don't want it' ignoring you guys here represent a minutia of consumers in the marketplace.

I am STILL waiting for you masterminds to come up with a proposed idea of a NEW RIFLE ROUND that WILL GUARANTEE a success in the marketplace.

Who wants to go first? LOL.

OH, VA, that's right, you spoke - sure it's no secret that Remington is not my favorite rifle action and I think that's a thorn in your side. Sorry you take it personally.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.