pictures should be mandatory...sounds very good

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman
I will be making this Wednesday. Do you bake in an 8x14 pan?
Randy

We make it in glass shallow baking dishes. Round or rectangle. You want the pan to be pretty full.

Last edited by 257wby; 01/02/11.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
257wby,

Have you ever made it with a substitution for the "burgundy", as in cider or stock, I can not drink or cook with it because of my chemo meds.

Thanks,

Lynn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lynn, all recipes are suggestions! Try a non-alcoholic wine or just leave it out. It still tastes great without the wine. I mean really, it's onions, butter and cheese...lol...what else do you need?

Enjoy

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here it is. One day late, but ... not bad.

257wby $$$
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Mannlicher
Meddybemps
Rob P
Duck911
duxndogs
MissTreated

Looks like this might work out fine.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
.257wby, Thanks for getting us started. My family just asked me today for some slow cooked beef. Maybe some boneless short ribs or a 7 bone chuck. It'll be a perfect opportunity for your recipe.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rob, it should be a great side for your beef...short ribs...mmmm... Everyone, feel free to call me Jeff

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rob, you can consider my recipe for Ox Tails as my first contribution to this effort.
It is back on the first page of this thread.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jeff,
tried the Onion Pie tonight. I left the reservation a bit as I did not have the base so I used Beef Stock I had made, and I used a pizza cheese mix instead of the swiss. I am the primary onion eater in the house, but you got a thumbs up from the better half. I think the thought was a very nice reminder of onion soup with the cheese and bread out of this world good. I think next time I do it I will use a more shallow pan to allow for more bread on top. The crisp buttered texture with the bubbly cheese under and a slobber of onion and sauce make a very nice bite! How thick do you slice your onions? I will try to find the Gryure for the next batch just to get it spot on once. A very nice side dish.

[Linked Image]

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went to the market yesterday and today looking for short ribs to try this recipe. I am determined to have some beef and gravy to go with it. I think the gruyere cheese is the proper French onion soup cheese. I've never bought it although I've probably had it many times. I was going to start with that, because I like it on onion soup. I like the shallow pan too. I know I'd like the bread on top.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, Rob....haven't followed this topic all that closely. We've got our 12? Do we have a first recipe yet? What's the drill?

Murphy was a grunt.
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
.257wby signed up 1st, so he's got January.

He put up a recipe for an Onion Pie. You have to go back a page or two.

We have the month of January to make the dish and report back.

February will bring a new recipe from the next on the list...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holly cow! this is a really good idea. I will look forward to sampling. Thanks

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Jeff,
tried the Onion Pie tonight. I left the reservation a bit as I did not have the base so I used Beef Stock I had made, and I used a pizza cheese mix instead of the swiss. I am the primary onion eater in the house, but you got a thumbs up from the better half. I think the thought was a very nice reminder of onion soup with the cheese and bread out of this world good. I think next time I do it I will use a more shallow pan to allow for more bread on top. The crisp buttered texture with the bubbly cheese under and a slobber of onion and sauce make a very nice bite! How thick do you slice your onions? I will try to find the Gryure for the next batch just to get it spot on once. A very nice side dish.

[Linked Image]

Your dish looks great! I ususally slice the onions about a quarter inch...if you run them thru a mandolin and get them too thin they can fall apart and get too mushy. I like them with some texture.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could not find the Gryure(spelling) in my local shop so will go to a specialty shop today. I made it with mozza and onions were too thin. The taste is really good, but the thicker onions will give it the texture needed.

I am thinking this will be a side at my next family reunion. I have a 16"x5" cast iron oven that this will work in.

thanks for the recipe. I will send photos of the Gryure/ thick onions as that is the recipe.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Going to give this a try this weekend, serving it up with a nice rib roast. It looks good, and I am willing to bet it tastes incredible.

Lynn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jeff,
that is about the way I cut them, and they held up real well. Thanks again for leading off with this one. It was a great start.

Flavor is very good and it was easy to put together. I am thinking it will be a hit at the next school pot luck.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any more room at the "bar" ? I got a great track record at cook'in...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We've got enough to do 1 recipe a month for the year. That was the intention. There's one more who wanted to participate, and you could start another thread. See if there's more.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I will try the onion pie this weekend. I liked the sound that when 257 first posted the recipe....

So, if I am number 8 on the list I get to do August??

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,672
Posts18,513,175
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.