Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Not much info on the new coopers. I don't think that I would like a laminated stock though. No price, specs even mention of them on the Cooper Website either. I think that the coopers probably are a better set up the the Gunwerks system.

Sincerely,
Thomas

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kaboku,

Got a link for us? I'm not to familiar with Coopers and what's new and what's not.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Cooper firearms are a semi-custom and custom gun company that is based in Montana. They have made their bones with nice very accurate rifles chambered for rimfire and varmit calibers.

They gradually introduced single shot rifles in big game calibers and presently made rifles in 30/06 and 308 calibers like 338.06 and 250-3000 savage. These were available in xx claro to exibition french walnut with custom engraving and turnbull casehardening.

They were originally the brain child of Dan Cooper who was an ex-employee of Kimber of Oregon manufacturing. He basically took some seed money and bought several Anschultz model 52 22 caliber rifles. He developed a rifle that was similar to them with a detachable magazine that is based single row in the center of the mag well with a very dependable release lever. He put in nice triggers that are nestled around 2 to 2.5 lbs with little creep and a three lug bolt and ejector. He bought the best match barrels from Wilson Barrels Manufacturing and got the very best employees from Kimber of old.

Dan had also bought at bargain prices the manufacturing machinery from Kimber of Oregon.

He made an interesting rifle that was a centerfire version of the 22lr called the ccm. He gave two to President Bush who used them on his ranch. Supposedly the Marines who were stationed at Crawford actually went through 100,000 rounds of it and Dan repaired the barrels. They offer that kind of backing.

Well even a good guy can go wrong. Dan Cooper decided to support Barry "Follow the Rainbow" Obama and gave him significant campaign contributions. This should of been the kiss of death for Cooper but the board of directors at Cooper paid him and severed his connections to the company. The owner of Wilson custom barrels purchased Cooper Arms and Cooper has continued to innovate.

Recently they developed a model 54 in 308 caliber cartridges in wood and synthetic(BC medalist) stocks that weigh near 6lbs 2oz. This might seem heavy for a mountain rifle when Kimber montuckys and even Tikkas might beat this out but the combination of a very solid action, a unlawyered trigger and a match grade barrel that is hooked up by a pretty darned good machinist will produce a rifle that can group .5 MOA. They test shoot each rifle at 44yards with a 36X leupold and the clusters mostly form one ragged hole. Some can be finicky but most cooper owners can't stop at one rifle and could care less if the ex-owner was seduced hook-line-and-sinker by a known womanizer and winey punk who hates guns and Alaska.

Cooper customer service is different than most in that the people actually like to talk about their guns and good handloads and hunting and stuff. I guess that they are harder to reach during hunting season. They mentioned that they were going to produce magnum length rifles called a model 56 this year and would introduce them at the SHOT show. The first offerings were to be 7Rem and 300 Winchester Mag. Cooper the way that they run would likely produce Weathery calibers and some others like 358 Norma and maybe a 300 HH if you asked them too.

Well Best of the West came on with an extended Trailer with Cooper Rifles coming out of the Ashes with a big Hawk. The Best of the West episode was about Bear Attacks and how it was hard to hit bears when they charge at you.
Throughout the show they actually have commercials for Cooper Rifles that are done very professionally and which will appeal to people who actually like to see the people make guns and have pride in their work rather than some idiot with a big hat saying that this was the best thing made in New York or someplace without meeting the people who actually made the guns.

The Shooting guy John Porter who is mainly a farmer but who guides sheep and elk in Montana and has nailed a moose at 800+ yards with their old set up shows their new outfit. It is a ceracoted stainless magnum action Cooper rifle with a laminated stock that is much in the shape of the tactical long range stocks that Big Stick likes. The gun is cerrakoted and mounted with their Huskemaw riflescope that has the tactical dial.

He claims that it is able to group .5 MOA at 1000 yards with Berger ammo. We don't get to see it shoot but they say that they will have them out at the Dallas Safari Club Expo at the Best in the West Booth.

This could be bad and it could be good.
The Rifle is probably better than their Gunwerks System and if it is for less money than it is a good deal.
They charge more for it and they raise the prices on Coopers than this sucks.
Coopers have been a niche company making a very good product for a pretty good price and they could be easily spoiled if the wrong nitwits screw with the formula that they have going.

This post is probably too long but it explains Cooper to an Alaskan. Presently there are no Cooper Dealers in Alaska. SW did carry them before they crashed and there were two in Anchorage and (One in Fairbanks that I bought on a very good deal after I researched them.) I like it a lot.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/03/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kaboku68
This could be bad and it could be good.
The Rifle is probably better than their Gunwerks System and if it is for less money than it is a good deal.
They charge more for it and they raise the prices on Coopers than this sucks.
Coopers have been a niche company making a very good product for a pretty good price and they could be easily spoiled if the wrong nitwits screw with the formula that they have going.

If they are teaming up with BOTW, and throwing huskemshits on them...then the nitwits have done screwed the formula.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If they are teaming up with BOTW, and throwing huskemshits on them...then the nitwits have done screwed the formula. [/quote]
What is it that you do not like about the scope?

Brad
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This should of been the kiss of death for Cooper but the board of directors at Cooper paid him and severed his connections to the company.

That was only a lying prop, Dan still pulls the strings there I have no doubt.

Nicely written up though kaboku68.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
SU35 there was kind of a strange question that I have. There is a forum member named DINK who knows more about Cooper. I figure the Montana kindred have a better understanding of Montana families and gun companies so maybe the general audience can help me out.

There was a guy with the BOTW crew named "Bob" Cooper and I was wondering who the hell he was. They mentioned that the owner of Wilson barrels controlled the company but I just wonder what is Bob Cooper's role with the company.

Sincerely,
Thomas

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A couple of minor clarifications. I believe John Porter guides in Wyoming. Dan Cooper lives in Ohio and has nothing to do with his old company. Wilson has family members at the Stevensville, MT factory. A couple of key Cooper managers have left the company since the sale.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thxs Toolelk. Cooper, IMO did a good job on showing me what I want with their rifles. I am worried that success many times can ruin a good thing. I know that I personally prefer their classic or excaliber style stock but sure look hopefully for a 300 Weatherby Mag offering.

I am curious if Cooper will soon elaborate on their model 56 mag length action and if they are now offering cerracoting.

THomas

D
D
They have the Cooper 560 listed on the Best of the West Longe Range Store. 6 month wait, several calibers at 6k + for the shooting system. http://www.longrangestore.com/product_p/00100700.htm

Last edited by dr14; 01/14/11.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting to say the least.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mr. Cooper was a BIG Obama supporter, much to the chagrin of his own employees. People seem to forgetstuff like that in their rush to spend money. Just like people forget that a few years ago HS Precision employed the babykiller Lon Horiuchi who was the sniper who killed Randy Weaver's family at Ruby Ridge. I steer my meagre dollars away from them kind of businesses.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

[email protected]
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am not impressed with Cooper firearms, if I was going to spend that kinda money I would rather have a gunwerks gun or a Kirby Allen gun. Kirby builds some extremely nice guns, some day when I grow up and are a slum dog millionare I hope to have about a dozen of his guns.

Cocked,Locked and Ready to Rock
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I think Coopers nich is accurate rifles in pretty wood stocks. If they are gonna go stainless and synthetics I think there are plenty of other options at better price points.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
freebird, One could buy at least three Coopers for what Kirby's rifles start at in price. mtmuley

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mtmuley
freebird, One could buy at least three Coopers for what Kirby's rifles start at in price. mtmuley

Three really! I didn't see any $700 coopers on there site. crazy

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mtmuley

Sorry but this post begs for the flag [Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dr14
They have the Cooper 560 listed on the Best of the West Longe Range Store. 6 month wait, several calibers at 6k + for the shooting system. http://www.longrangestore.com/product_p/00100700.htm

hey, it does qualify for free shipping!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OK, Correct me if I am wrong. Cooper rifle 1500-2000 bucks. Kirby Allen Magnum starting 4000 plus. Not exactly 3-1 but close. mtmuley

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,429
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.