Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
There are a lot of folks who will insist that their Rem 870 shotguns work just as good as a Fabbri, that their Hyundai cars are as good as a Ferrari and that their choice of rifles are as good as an Echols.
All that tells me is that they have never fired a Fabbri, driven a Ferrari or used an Echols. It is like the old fable about the fox trying to reach the grapes - since they were out of his grasp he decided they must be sour grapes.

The problem phil is when you buy a Fabbri or Ferrari you're actually getting a proprietary design from the ground up,that actually has a value.Not a [bleep] over rebuilt M70,thats been fitted with a few bolt on after market parts and given a 5 figure price tag for nothing in return...The dollar price paid for a D'arcy M70 is the real legend,not the rifle itself.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's a lot of money for a rifle that looks like a Black Shadow. If it were me, 14 grand would buy a Jerry Fisher or a Bisen. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bauer
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I've had 3 NULA rifles. All were shooters. Mel is a great guy.

None of them are in the same league for fit/finish/reliability as my Legend. I've had 9 custom/semi-custom left handed rifles. The only one I will never sell is my Legend. It's that good.

Jeff

When you spend that much money on a M70 you're pretty much stuck with it.Nobody else is going to give you anywhere near what you paid.

Would love to hear all the reliability issues with the NULA.

I cannot comment on the NULA's as I have never owned one, and generally do not make authoritative posts about rifles I have never owned.

As far as the resale value/demand on the used Legends go, you would be surprised. Every once in a while, a used Legend or Classic comes up for sale and they usually go for more than the original owner paid for them. A good example of this occured when Allen Day took ill in the Summer of 2008 and decided to sell his collection of Legends. As I recall, Allen had a Legend built on a pre-64 action in .270 Winchester, two .300 Win Mags, two .338 Win Mags, a .375 H&H and a .416 Rem Mag all on "Classic" actions with the Burgess bottom metal. Allen told me he had puchased all of the rifles in the early half of the last decade and had paid between $6,000 and $8,000 for the rifles. He sold all but one of them within a month and got $9,000 for the .270, $10,000 for the .300's, .338 and .416 and $11,000 for the .375. He actually made money on all of the rifles, after having enjoyed them for several years.

I purchased his .270, and it has become my favorite rifle. The fit, finish and function is flawless. It shoots 130 grain Partitions and TTSX's into .300" using 60.5 grains of H4831 and will put three 150 grain A-Frames into .500". I have killed an elk, two big Wyoming mule deer, two nice Northern Idaho whitetails and an antelope with it over the last two years and I am going to take it to the Nutzotin Mountains in AK this Summer for a Dall and grizzly hunt. I think Allen would have approved. grin

Does anyone "need" an Echols rifle (or Simillion, Miller, Penrod or Rigby for that matter) no. An animal shot with an over the counter Savage (complete with barrel nut) is just as dead, but, for those that can appreciate the difference between "good enough" and "nearly perfect", hunting with one sure is enjoyable. cool

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Chet, excellent post. I'd actually wondered what became of Allen's rifles. Good to know at least one is in good hands!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So what would be the resale value of a $14,000 Echols Legend?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Chet, excellent post. I'd actually wondered what became of Allen's rifles. Good to know at least one is in good hands!

+1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a lot of folks who will insist that their Rem 870 shotguns work just as good as a Fabbri, that their Hyundai cars are as good as a Ferrari and that their choice of rifles are as good as an Echols.
All that tells me is that they have never fired a Fabbri, driven a Ferrari or used an Echols. It is like the old fable about the fox trying to reach the grapes - since they were out of his grasp he decided they must be sour grapes.

Well stated, ummmm, and true. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb

A post so good that I just have to bring it back up to the top!

John

I concur and will gladly bring it to the surface again..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I've had 3 NULA rifles. All were shooters. Mel is a great guy.

None of them are in the same league for fit/finish/reliability as my Legend. I've had 9 custom/semi-custom left handed rifles. The only one I will never sell is my Legend. It's that good.

Jeff

When you spend that much money on a M70 you're pretty much stuck with it.Nobody else is going to give you anywhere near what you paid.

Would love to hear all the reliability issues with the NULA.

I cannot comment on the NULA's as I have never owned one, and generally do not make authoritative posts about rifles I have never owned.

As far as the resale value/demand on the used Legends go, you would be surprised. Every once in a while, a used Legend or Classic comes up for sale and they usually go for more than the original owner paid for them. A good example of this occured when Allen Day took ill in the Summer of 2008 and decided to sell his collection of Legends. As I recall, Allen had a Legend built on a pre-64 action in .270 Winchester, two .300 Win Mags, two .338 Win Mags, a .375 H&H and a .416 Rem Mag all on "Classic" actions with the Burgess bottom metal. Allen told me he had puchased all of the rifles in the early half of the last decade and had paid between $6,000 and $8,000 for the rifles. He sold all but one of them within a month and got $9,000 for the .270, $10,000 for the .300's, .338 and .416 and $11,000 for the .375. He actually made money on all of the rifles, after having enjoyed them for several years.

I purchased his .270, and it has become my favorite rifle. The fit, finish and function is flawless. It shoots 130 grain Partitions and TTSX's into .300" using 60.5 grains of H4831 and will put three 150 grain A-Frames into .500". I have killed an elk, two big Wyoming mule deer, two nice Northern Idaho whitetails and an antelope with it over the last two years and I am going to take it to the Nutzotin Mountains in AK this Summer for a Dall and grizzly hunt. I think Allen would have approved. grin

Does anyone "need" an Echols rifle (or Simillion, Miller, Penrod or Rigby for that matter) no. An animal shot with an over the counter Savage (complete with barrel nut) is just as dead, but, for those that can appreciate the difference between "good enough" and "nearly perfect", hunting with one sure is enjoyable. cool

Chet

I'll bet there is a special Mojo attached to that rifle and especially when hunting with it. I have seen pictures of it and it is a fine fine rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bauer, how many Echol's rifles have you actually used ? And why are you so down on them? You are not one of those talented but starving guild members are you?

I can name half a dozen of my clients who regularily use their Echol's rifles, as well as one African PH who thinks they are so good that he uses one. I would say that the fact that so many of D'Arcy's customers actually use their rifles in the field (unlike many of the other high dollar rifles mentioned here) and quite often purchase more, is a pretty good indication of their value.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Phil I've shot two of the legends.I'm not down on them,they simply aren't worth 14 grand.No M70 is.

I'd never put much faith in what a client uses,the guy buying a legend is the type that lets someone else do his hunting for him,allen being a prime example of this.The client bought the rifle to impress friends he doesn't have and people he doesn't even know.

Who's the African PH that uses a legend?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about worked over Mausers ? Or restocked Win M-21's? Or Shelby mustangs? or Carbon Supercubs?
Or even my own bear hunts . I couldn't afford my own hunts but I am usually back ordered for years and have deposits on hunts as far out as 2015. Just because you and I can not afford them there are too many folks who believe they are worth the asking price.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Phil I've shot two of the legends.I'm not down on them,they simply aren't worth 14 grand.No M70 is.

I'd never put much faith in what a client uses,the guy buying a legend is the type that lets someone else do his hunting for him,allen being a prime example of this.The client bought the rifle to impress friends he doesn't have and people he doesn't even know.

Who's the African PH that uses a legend?

Why is it that you have to bash someone who has passed on and cannot defend themselves ? Are you that much of a [bleep] lowlife that you have to revert to those tactics, wait a minute I answered my own question.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Athol Frylink is the Zambian PH who ordered and uses a Legend and I assure you it is not for show. The man knows good guns.
Neither are the ones used by my clients. Most of them do a lot of hunting and shooting on their own and only use guides when it makes the most sense.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

THERE is a LIE right there....

I GUARANTEE you that ANY of the surviving Winchester m70s Jack O'Connor once had built for himself are worth at least 14K on the open market....

Any day of the week.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd never put much faith in what a client uses,the guy buying a legend is the type that lets someone else do his hunting for him,allen being a prime example of this.

You're driving WAYYYYYYYYY too fast for your rather dim, and yellowed headlights. Perhaps it's occurred to you that in much of the hunting that you're referring to, one is required by law to have a guide?

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
OK, I have read the stupid nasty comments that have been posted here about the Legends, D'Arcy Echols, Gene Simillion, Steve Heilman and the other mastercraftsmen who have been insulted by those who probably could not see the difference between a four year old's watercolors and a Monet. I own a Legend and would like to own more. It simply outperforms everything else. Not only is it accurate, but it functions perfectly all the time in all conditions.
I didn't understand what a performance sports car was until I got my 400 hp yellow Corvette. Now everything else is pretty boring.
My Legend will produce groups less than 1.5" with hunting ammunition at 300 yards. Equally important, it will always feed, extract, and eject perfectly every time in all conditions. I don't bother taking a box full of rifles to Africa cause my rifle will not break down, or have the bolt fall off, or have anything else go wrong at some terrible time.
There is a big difference between a hunting rifle that can see use under difficult conditions and a M700, assembled by a machinist, which is single loaded and is used to shoot groups off a bench with target bullets.

Last edited by RinB; 01/05/11.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course that begs the question of what the average Legend typically sells for used does it not? Maybe it's a stupid question due to the circles they travel in though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Of course that begs the question of what the average Legend typically sells for used does it not? Maybe it's a stupid question due to the circles they travel in though.

Also, due to the relatively low number of them out there, given Echol's backlog..

Supply/demand affects the street value on the secondary market..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see the car analogy being used here so after owning the Vette, would you buy a race tuned Subaru if they tuner claimed it would perform the same as a 400 hp Vette ?

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,988
Posts18,520,103
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.