Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Legends are accuracy tested with a variety of quality factory ammo before they leave Echol's hands. I remember one of Echol's employees posting about testing them at the range with some pics of the ammo brands - it might have been Brian but I could be wrong. If the rifle does not meet Echol's accuracy requirements, it does not leave the shop until it does.

MtnHtr

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by utah708
I believe that accuracy guarantees are more a marketing ploy than reality. After all, there are so many variables in the client's shooting that the gunsmith cannot control. With a Legend, I am pretty confident that if a client has an accuracy complaint, the gun get shipped back. If the problem is the gun, it gets fixed. If it is the client, he gets told.

How can they be a "ploy"?

If it's a guarantee that is TRULY backed by the maker, it's worth it. Especially in the case of most top end customs,they have ALREADY eliminated a lot of variables by working up loads and shooting the gun enough to know it does not have a bad barrel.

When you have guys like Kenny Jarret who will rebarrel a rifle to get it to shoot(or cut the damn thing up into pieces if it's truly cursed) then you have a worthwhile guarantee.

When you have companies selling factory made rifles like Sako/Tikka making such claims, given Beretta's spotty customer service record, then maybe not so much.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Let's say I sold a bunch of stuff I no longer use much and buy a Legend. Do my time and eventually the phone call comes that it is finished.

According to Bauer, with greedy, snobbish, elitist, pretentious hands, I go to the range. Being careful not to get close to those unfortunates shooting run of the mill rifles, while at the same time showing off my air of superiority just enough to let them know I'm something special, I find out it will not shoot .5s all day long with core-lockts even if I do my part. (Swampy, that was classic.) Heaven forbid with some combos it will only do .6 or just at an inch. What will I do? What will I do? Swamp just nailed another .5 Core-lockt, while I could only do a .7. Tail tucked between my legs I sneak away when no one is looking. grin

Addition: There is accurate, really accurate and scary accurate. They all may exist in the same rifle depending on the components, shooter and conditions. I'm thinking if you have a consistent 2in Legend, it will be corrected.

Last edited by battue; 01/08/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have seen the groups from John55's Echol's rifles and they shoot and like a pure accuracy rifle in the sense that groups are tops even with loads that are not the best for the rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To be fair, their are many smiths who will put a rifle together accuracy wise that will do the same.

It seems from the comments of those with hands on experience, that when one buys a legend there is more than accuracy factored into the final product. And yes pride/appreciation of having something made to the highest standards is one of them.

Not sure I for one would appreciate all the unseen extras or find them something I can't live without. Who knows? I've yet to see one outside of a pic.

Addition: In relation to a previous thread of how Ak can be hard on a rifle to the extreme, the same would apply to a Legend. It may keep going when others go down, but damage may still result. Then one has to factor in the cost of returning it to the previous level of function if that is important.

Often with expensive nice things one also has to be willing to accept increased cost of maintenance. Crack a stock on an 870 and the fix is not all that expensive. Do the same on a Perazzi and the bite requires more stitches.

Last edited by battue; 01/08/11.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure Echols rifles shoot, but I'm thinking after reading all this that it's not his first concern and probably not his customer's either. Any rifle from a reputable maker will shoot small groups and if it didn't they would correct it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Just BS by somebody not wanting to back up their product up with a written guarentee..

Pete,

It's a line from the movie Tommy Boy with Chris Farley. Classic movie...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Bauer,

I walk dogs every morning with a self made millionaire. I will ask them in the morning if they keep your number on speed dial to seek your advice on how to spend their wealth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...they have talking dogs....?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
One of the perks of being a millionaire..............(laffin)

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

A two-barrel Legend would cover about anything. Maybe a .338 Winchester/.257 Weatherby?

I'd go with a 264 Win on the bottom end. That way you'd have a Westerner and an Alaskan all in one rifle... laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike378
Originally Posted by Bauer

The guy buying a legend does so as a symbol of economic status.And in most cases it's a counterfeit example of status,such as allen. You aren't going to see a self made millionaire buying one of these.You're going to see a guy who wants to be able to hang out with the rich and fit in buying a legend.

No one buys an Echols for that reason. For starters only the real keen gun enthusiast has even heard of an Echols Legend. Of the few people who have heard of them only a fraction of those people know what they cost.

For the status symbol the rifle at the very least needs flash wood. Next, it needs to be "factory" and can be a bolt gun form H&H or giving Wby a blank cheque but no way is it done via an Echols Legend. A gun from Wby or H&H looks like it cost a lot of money but an Echols to the average person just looks like a plastic stocked M70.

For your own sake I hope you are just troll because if not your gun knowledge is seriously lacking.

That is the honest truth. I have never had anyone recognize one of my Legends as being anything out of the ordinary in over 12 years of hunting with them.

A couple of years ago, I was hunting mountain caribou in the Yukon. I shared a camp with with a Urologist from Minnesota that carried a .300 WSM built by Rifles Inc like it was his personal talisman. I am pretty sure he even took it with him to the outhouse. I listened for hours about the prowess of his rifle, and how it was ballistically superior to the .300 Wby Mag (Legend) I was using. Finally, on the last night in camp, as we cleaned our rifles on the cabin table after getting rained on all day, he took one of his business cards from his wallet and told me if I wanted to upgrade from my "Black Shadow" after the hunt, to call him as he would sell me his rifle and order another from Rifles Inc.

I took the card and told him I would give him a call if I decided to "trade up". wink

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, I can afford an Echols Legend--if I sell off maybe 10-12 of the hunting rifles I have now. And I might just do that sometime soon, or at least get on the waiting list, since I'm growing a little weary of having so many rifles. It certainly would solve the space problem in the safe!

I have been to the shop and KNOW exactly how they make them (sorry, Bauer, all the stuff Brian listed is actually done to each and every Legend), and have also hunted with a loaned Legend belonging to one of their customers. They're simply the all-around best-functioning rifles I've ever shot, and I've shot quite a few rifles.

A two-barrel Legend would cover about anything. Maybe a .338 Winchester/.257 Weatherby?

That would be a really nice combination. Not much you couldn't hunt with a that duo.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chetaf

I took the card and told him I would give him a call if I decided to "trade up". wink

Chet

Now that's funny right there. I've ran into several of those types over the years and it's funny to screw with them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MD, I sold a bunch of unfinished projects to fund my Legend. At one time I had 26 actions, Pre 64's, high grade Mausers (G33/40's BRNO M21, ZG47's etc.) I had five or six high grade real french walnut blanks and 10 or so scopes and on and on and on.... The Legend is so good that there is nothing else I want.

I am no longer a member of the "build of the month" club. D'Arcy said he will build a two barrel 270 Win & 9.3x62. I know how you like the 7x57 and 30-06 and the 9.3x62. It is nice to be done with all the "pondering". It is really nice to become very familiar with one rifle and fewer cartridges.

Since getting mine I have actually spent less money. I have three scopes. There is room in the safe for all the millions which I have earned HA!

Last edited by RinB; 01/08/11.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
they have talking dogs....?

You can't trust talkin' dogs. Some of them have been known to lie about having served with the CIA.

I would rank them with folks like our own "Borer" here, as they likely won't make for good companions. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RinB,

Another good Legend combo would be the 9.3x62 and .270. Damn, now I'm REALLY thinking about it.

So have you finally sold all the pre-'64 actions?

Gonna be at SCI? Eileen and I will be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm just thrilled that there aren't 413 videos of him on the fire shooting dink brown bear from 674 yards.

Guessing good [bleep] sells itself.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the 7mm Rem Mag and .338 Win Mag combo myself. You can hunt everything from antelope to brown bear and find ammo in almost any well stocked gas station from Santa Fe to Whitehorse.

If that is too easy, D'Arcy may be willing to make a combo in 7mm Mashburn and .334 OKH. wink

Chet

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You guys best get on the waiting list. Sounds like Bauer may be one his best salesman. Funny how some things workout. grin

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 920 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.