Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 40 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 39 40
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Despite your normally articulate posts Barak, you probably could've worded your thoughts better on this one, my man. You're out on a limb here...

Out on a limb in what way?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idared
In other words you are saying it is more justifiable to shoot a congress person or a judge than a bystander?
I believe he meant that it is less reprehensible and more understandable (not justifiable), from his radical anarchist perspective. From a standard libertarian perspective, one might say rather that most politicians are of a sort that it would be more understandable why certain folks would be pissed off enough to blow their tops and try and eliminate them, but understandable is not justification. Justification for shooting someone is only in actual imminent self-defense. You must understand the difference between someone saying X was justified and X's actions were understandable. The latter simply means that it was predictable based on available facts.

If the Godfather sends out his goons to all the local businesses threatening to break people's legs if they don't pay for their "protection" services and garbage pickup, it's predictable that lots of folks would be angry, and some angry enough to seek out the Godfather to do him in, even though that would not be justified morally or criminally (Although, shooting the goons in self-defense would be, should they actually attempt to carry out their threat).

Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains. At least that's the standard libertarian view, but the radical anarchist view would be that ALL politicians are equal to the Godfather, and therefore it is equally understandable (though still not justifiable) that one of their victims might seek to do them physical harm at some point. It would also be less reprehensible for said victim to do harm to the Godfather than to do harm to an innocent bystander, which is also what Barak said.

Barak is a radical anarchist of the anarcho-capitalist bent.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you there are very good reasons for not packing at a political event. I certainly wouldn't. Good way to get Oswalded.

There are plenty of crazoids running loose nowadays and if one of them decides to shoot a politician, I don't wanna even be near a gun lest some pusssy liberal screech that I did it. I can easily let the government be responsible for security at such an event and if I feel like I just gotta go, I will take my chances unarmed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Barak
Despite your normally articulate posts Barak, you probably could've worded your thoughts better on this one, my man. You're out on a limb here...

Did you see the thread on the ultimate fighter who made joking public statements concerning being in the ring with the President? It got him a quick visit from the Secret Service. If you're looking for extraordinary attention, keep this up. You'll probably get it, First Amendment right or not. That's the kind of limb you're on.

Last edited by mike762; 01/09/11.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Barak is a nut job. It's a fact that he's autistic and autistic folks are about as emotionless/detached as they come involving others. I'm sure he could give a [bleep] about anyone, as it's obvious he doesn't about himself since he had previously attempted to commit suicide.

It's also apparent that he is such a screw-up that we wasn't even able to pull off killing himself, which we now all have to suffer from his ineptitude.

Is it really a wonder he's a computer guy (requires little human interaction, which he sucks at). Of course he deals with prisoners also, because where the heck can they run to.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

In that under the circumstances being a bit more circumspect in our thoughts/beliefs directed at our leaders/politicians/fellow humans......(at the risk of sounding like Gus).

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Yahoo is now saying they are searching for a second guy.

I am very suspicious of the second man hypothesis.

I am concerned by the fact that, having on their hands a shooter who is a confirmed far-leftist is an embarrassment for some and they may want to find a fall-guy that could be painted as "right-wing" or better still "Tea Partier" and "terrorist master-mind" of the whole story...

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'll take a stab. Verbalizing an untenable position?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Idared
In other words you are saying it is more justifiable to shoot a congress person or a judge than a bystander?
I believe he meant that it is less reprehensible and more understandable (not justifiable), from his radical anarchist perspective. From a standard libertarian perspective, one might say rather that most politicians are of a sort that it would be more understandable why certain folks would be pissed off enough to blow their tops and try and eliminate them, but understandable is not justification. Justification for shooting someone is only in actual imminent self-defense. You must understand the difference between someone saying X was justified and X's actions were understandable. The latter simply means that it was predictable based on available facts.

If the Godfather sends out his goons to all the local businesses threatening to break people's legs if they don't pay for their "protection" services and garbage pickup, it's predictable that lots of folks would be angry, and some angry enough to seek out the Godfather to do him in, even though that would not be justified morally or criminally (Although, shooting the goons in self-defense would be, should they actually attempt to carry out their threat).

Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains. At least that's the standard libertarian view, but the radical anarchist view would be that ALL politicians are equal to the Godfather, and therefore it is equally understandable (though still not justifiable) that one of their victims might to seek to do them physical harm at some point. It would also be less reprehensible for said victim to do harm to the Godfather than to do harm to an innocent bystander, which is also what Barak said.

Barak is a radical anarchist of the anarcho-capitalist bent.

Barak is a [bleep]' fruitcake, and you gladly go right along behind him down the rabbit hole.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Which does go DIRECTLY toward doing better, working harder, and not kidding ourselves about threats when identifying lunatics within our midst.

Who is going to define "nuts"?--The government?

I mean, given some of the suggestive rhetoric here at the 'fire directed towards Demos/liberals/Obama/Pelosi/Reid......there would be a fair number of 'fire denziens who could be "diagnosed" with a politically driven definition of nuts........

Not one person at that rally packing heat apparently......

Casey

I don't think you'd have to look far to start seeing some lunatics, if you chose to do so.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Insane people are insane and may not be totally responsible for their acts, yet be able to think of ways to create mayhem. In this case, I heard on the news that this guy has a long troubled history of irrational acts.

At Pima Community College, the police responded 5 times to calls regarding his behavior; he was rejected by the Army for unspecified reasons; others have noted (after the fact, of course) that he did not make sense when talking of asking questions. He also allegedly had a drug problem earlier.

Yet, no one did much to ascertain his real condition (just let him go away). He obtained a firearm (legally or illegally, from a dealer or private purchase? - yet to be publically known).

Unfortunately for us, there will probably be repercussions in the form of tighter gun control.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unless the thread is completely apolitical and his post is about the size of yours or smaller, I generally skip Barak's stuff. I don't have anybody on Ignore, because I don roll that way, but Barak gets incredibly long-winded and tedious.

Any way a person looks at it, this whole shooting incident is a terrible tragedy for the Judge and all involved.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can tell you there are very good reasons for not packing at a political event. I certainly wouldn't. Good way to get Oswalded.

There are plenty of crazoids running loose nowadays and if one of them decides to shoot a politician, I don't wanna even be near a gun lest some pusssy liberal screech that I did it. I can easily let the government be responsible for security at such an event and if I feel like I just gotta go, I will take my chances unarmed.

Not to get too far off point on this tragedy, but if if plenty of folks were armed in everyday fashion, being armed at a political event would not be so unusual.........

And I adamantly believe there are FAR more good Americans out there than bad/kooky ones.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains. �

That's the difference between a politician and a statesman � in Twain's words, the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shades of Virginia Tech.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Not to get too far off point on this tragedy, but if if plenty of folks were armed in everyday fashion, being armed at a political event would not be so unusual.........

And I adamantly believe there are FAR more good Americans out there than bad/kooky ones.

Casey

"And I adamantly believe there are FAR more good Americans out there than bad/kooky ones."

I totally agree with you here, but the bad/kooky ones cause untold damage to others and the good/sane ones are left with the fallout.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Most folks would say that in a situation involving a child, a single mother, and an armed robber escaped from prison, the most important thing is that the child and the mother survive. It'd be better if the armed robber survives too, but if it works out that he doesn't, it's less loss than it would be if the mother or child hadn't made it.

I'm only saying the same thing. To me, a politician is a peg or two lower on the scale than an armed robber.
Knowing you, and reading your post with ordinary care, I perfectly understood what you said, Barak. Lots of folks here are looking to spin it into something you didn't say.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Easy Steelie......

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When guns are eliminated, killers will use bombs.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Most folks would say that in a situation involving a child, a single mother, and an armed robber escaped from prison, the most important thing is that the child and the mother survive. It'd be better if the armed robber survives too, but if it works out that he doesn't, it's less loss than it would be if the mother or child hadn't made it.

I'm only saying the same thing. To me, a politician is a peg or two lower on the scale than an armed robber.
I perfectly understood what you said, Barak. Lots of folks are looking to spin it into something you didn't say.

No, most folks see EXACTLY what he said clearly, and that he's a nutjob.

You, as a fellow nutjob, can't/won't see it that way.

Page 18 of 40 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (320090T, 163bc, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,939
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.