Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 40 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 39 40
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I can tell you there are very good reasons for not packing at a political event. I certainly wouldn't. Good way to get Oswalded.

There are plenty of crazoids running loose nowadays and if one of them decides to shoot a politician, I don't wanna even be near a gun lest some pusssy liberal screech that I did it. I can easily let the government be responsible for security at such an event and if I feel like I just gotta go, I will take my chances unarmed.

Not to get too far off point on this tragedy, but if if plenty of folks were armed in everyday fashion, being armed at a political event would not be so unusual.........

And I adamantly believe there are FAR more good Americans out there than bad/kooky ones.

Casey
I agree and while I am all for us modeling good behaviors to others I value being a father and husband enough that this is one area where I am going to err on the side of caution. If you want to pack at such events, it's your own business, but I'm not going to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I believe he meant that it is less reprehensible and more understandable (not justifiable), from his radical anarchist perspective.

Thanks for trying to stick up for me.

Radical, huh? You think I'm radical? Interesting. All I did was accept the premise "Everyone owns himself" and try to follow it to its logical conclusions. Maybe that is radical.

If the Godfather sends out his goons to all the local businesses threatening to break people's legs if they don't pay for their "protection" services and garbage pickup, it's predictable that lots of folks would be angry, and some angry enough to seek out the Godfather to do him in, even though that would not be justified morally or criminally (Although, shooting the goons in self-defense would be, should they actually attempt to carry out their threat).

In my world, if somebody commits a crime (initiates force) against you, you're the only one who's qualified to determine what retaliation is justified. I have no standing to decide, because the crime wasn't committed against me. The State has no standing to decide, because the crime wasn't committed against it.

Of course, if you decide to delegate that decision to somebody who makes a profession of those decisions and is much more likely than you are to come up with a solution that will address the problem without completely screwing up the rest of your life, that's your prerogative. But the decision should be ultimately yours, if you're the victim.

It's just like hiring a plumber. If your pipe freezes and breaks, nobody should say you're not allowed to try to fix it yourself. It's your pipe, your house, your problem, and you have every right to do what you think is appropriate. Lots of people, though, will decide to hire a plumber to take care of it, because they believe his solution will be better and more professional than their own.

Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains.

That's what they say, for sure. It's interesting, though, how they finance their efforts with the very same sort of extortion that every other politician uses. Also, notice how they always conveniently fail, so that they don't actually have to give up any power.

Barak is a radical anarchist of the anarcho-capitalist bent.

And The_Real_Hawkeye is a minarchist libertarian.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains. �

That's the difference between a politician and a statesman � in Twain's words, the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

Ken, thanks for the reminder; I had come to the point where I though the word statesman had become completely obsolete...

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Barak is a nut job. It's a fact that he's autistic and autistic folks are about as emotionless/detached as they come involving others. I'm sure he could give a [bleep] about anyone, as it's obvious he doesn't about himself since he had previously attempted to commit suicide.

It's also apparent that he is such a screw-up that we wasn't even able to pull off killing himself, which we now all have to suffer from his ineptitude.

Is it really a wonder he's a computer guy (requires little human interaction, which he sucks at). Of course he deals with prisoners also, because where the heck can they run to.

EXACTLY so.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Saying this, this way, or agreeing with it, might make Steelhead/me/you an azzhole for being so blunt with the facts. However, that does not change the factual content of what he said.

He pegged Barak squarely.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Off into Barakistan we go, as the Barakian attention-whore twists this thread right down the rabbit hole with him.

IC B2

K
kup Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
or cars, what if he would of driven a legally purchased car at high speed into the crowd? would they be crying to outlaw cars?

kup
(coupe)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by djs

I totally agree with you here, but the bad/kooky ones cause untold damage to others and the good/sane ones are left with the fallout.

Short of banning firearm ownership and becoming a Soviet style police state, there will always be firearms, and there will always be kooks.

And the disgruntled/kooks still choose places where firearms in the hands of good Americans are unlikely......whether it be a school, university, an intentionally disarmed military building, liberal political event, or commercial airliner.

Let some kook try this at some of the Tea Party events I attended here in Colorado this summer........where 10% of the attendees were openly packing.......felt pretty safe from any assasins or kooks.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
CBS News is now reporting:
The gunman used a Glock with an extended magazine.

My wife even questioned the reports last night, saying
he must have reloaded. I guess a 30 rnd mag would explain that.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Out on a limb in what way?

Originally Posted by mike762
Did you see the thread on the ultimate fighter who made joking public statements concerning being in the ring with the President? It got him a quick visit from the Secret Service. If you're looking for extraordinary attention, keep this up. You'll probably get it, First Amendment right or not. That's the kind of limb you're on.

In that under the circumstances being a bit more circumspect in our thoughts/beliefs directed at our leaders/politicians/fellow humans......(at the risk of sounding like Gus).

That's pretty much what I thought you'd say. Thanks for looking out for me.

Originally Posted by smokepole
I'll take a stab. Verbalizing an untenable position?

That surprises me, though. Which position do you find untenable?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barak,

Politicians and you are a lot alike. You feel what you are saying is correct and politician feel what they say and do is correct. Politicians do what they feel is best for the country not what they know is best for the country. No one is perfect, read the bible, you'll learn we all have flaws. God the father, Jesus the son, and the Holy spirit are perfect, we on earth are not. Politicians make mistakes just like you and I make mistakes.

You said they are a step or two below a armed robber, You are a step or two above a nut job.
In no way shape or form were any of the victims doing anything to harm anyone. There is no justification for that mans action. She was holding a meeting to hear the people she represents. I don't see how that is/was hurting anyone.

Like I said I have never had an issue with you, but saying it is ok to kill innocent people (yes politicians and judges are innocent people in this case)is crazy! If they do something wrong you vote them out (their punishment) not kill them and people around them.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I can tell you there are very good reasons for not packing at a political event. I certainly wouldn't. Good way to get Oswalded.

There are plenty of crazoids running loose nowadays and if one of them decides to shoot a politician, I don't wanna even be near a gun lest some pusssy liberal screech that I did it. I can easily let the government be responsible for security at such an event and if I feel like I just gotta go, I will take my chances unarmed.

Not to get too far off point on this tragedy, but if if plenty of folks were armed in everyday fashion, being armed at a political event would not be so unusual.........

And I adamantly believe there are FAR more good Americans out there than bad/kooky ones.

Casey
+1, though I understand Cole Younger's point too.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Casey
+1, though I understand Cole Younger's point too.

Speaking of the kooky ones...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains. �

That's the difference between a politician and a statesman � in Twain's words, the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
Well said.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He's attempted suicide and is autistic, in short why waste time arguing with a mentally unstable retard?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Enrique
Barak,

Politicians and you are a lot alike. You feel what you are saying is correct and politician feel what they say and do is correct. Politicians do what they feel is best for the country not what they know is best for the country. No one is perfect, read the bible, you'll learn we all have flaws. God the father, Jesus the son, and the Holy spirit are perfect, we on earth are not. Politicians make mistakes just like you and I make mistakes.

You said they are a step or two below a armed robber, You are a step or two above a nut job.
In no way shape or form were any of the victims doing anything to harm anyone. There is no justification for that mans action. She was holding a meeting to hear the people she represents. I don't see how that is/was hurting anyone.

Like I said I have never had an issue with you, but saying it is ok to kill innocent people (yes politicians and judges are innocent people in this case)is crazy! If they do something wrong you vote them out (their punishment) not kill them and people around them.
This whole thing is a terrible tragedy for the victim's and their families. Just no other way to look at it. I always enjoy your posts Enrique.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Loughner scheduled to be arraigned at 11 am. IF anyone knows,is the jail part of the court complex or are the inmates housed in a separate facility separate from the courthouse?

Is vehicle transport necessary?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that I know now what a cauterized conscience is.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Superb choice of words.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Barak
That surprises me, though. Which position do you find untenable?

I won't even get into a discussion of the worth of a politican's life vs. another human being--I disagree with you completely, but arguing the point with you won't do any good.

What's untenable is your attempt to assign some kind of rationale or justification for the gunman's selection of his victims. Because there is none.

The guy is insane, and I'm sure this will come out at trial. He had no reason to choose to kill a politician, judge, or little girl, he just wanted to kill someone.

Only an idiot would attempt to rationalize it. Or someone completely out of touch with reality.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that can be pointed out is this:
People want what they can't have. When Clinton in the 90's issued his ban on certain weapons the value and want for those guns went up. Extended mags were sought. After the ban everyone that wanted one got one. Companies that seen how they could capitalize on it did. A handgun with a 33 round mag is not needed. At least I don't. If I can't defend myself and end a threat with a few shots, I doubt I am gonna have enough time to unload 33 rounds down the range.
It is my belief that extended mags, more people with military style weapons and the likes are all the effect of gun control and the fault of Clinton.
Look at Mexico, people can't have guns their without a permit. very few own guns because of the cost and fees. That leaves the population at the mercy of law enforcement/government and criminals. Proof that gun control does not work.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Page 19 of 40 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (BALLISTIK, 5sdad, Biffmalibu, Akhutr, Amos63, 14 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,871
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.