Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
... and what do we do about them once identified?

Well, they're not going to be locked up in mental institutions, like they used to be.

That would cost money, more money than it costs for Medicaid to pay for the meds that lunatics like Loughner take or choose not to take, depending on how they wish to exercise their presumed right to an independent lifestyle.

Locking them up isn't going to happen for the same reason we're not keeping career felons locked up for their entire sentences. Taxpayers do not want to spend money on it.

Taxpayers - not the usual run of folk who drop by the 'Fire, of course - would rather piss and moan and complain about atrocities such as this, than do the ONE THING that would truly make a difference, not just to the congresswoman, but thousands of other families each year, and that is ...

Open up their frigging checkbooks and PAY for institutionalization of the dangerously unstable.

Americans as a whole are just too cheap to do it.

- Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FlaRick

What other folks do you put in the sub-human category?

Lawyers, judges, kids who wear their pants halfway off their azz, rappers,.....

Oh the humanity!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some of you may have been just as mad if had been Pelosi and the like, but you made downright fools of yourselves cheering when Ted Kennedy died an excruciating death of brain cancer.

Last edited by Cossatotjoe_redux; 01/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by rrroae
Would folks be as upset about this incident if it had been Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Clinton or Obama who had gotten hit?

Yes, actually I would. �

So would I.

Me too.

Me,...not so much.

Don't condone it but I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matthew 22:15-22
Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"

"Caesar's," they replied.

Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Nowhere did Jesus say it was or was not extortion. So your words of justification have no backing.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I agree with you about the Ted thread.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On a swing through Sierra Vista, not long after the elections, she was over at Trail Boss Guns and Gear on Fry blvd. looking for a holster for her Pistola.

Lots of our Az. elected reps PACK.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno. Maybe because Ted WAS a murderer himself and his horrible death was delayed justice?? Works for me.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
Some of you may have been just as mad if had been Pelosi and the like, but you made downright fools of yourselves cheering when Ted Kennedy died and excruciating death of brain cancer.

Apparently that was different.

Can't help but snicker when I read some of this stuff.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There is that also.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barak has put himself beyond the Pale with his comments on this.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by rrroae
Would folks be as upset about this incident if it had been Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Clinton or Obama who had gotten hit?

Yes, actually I would. This type of action isn't warranted and only makes our case IRT firearms ownership, and liberty in general, harder to defend. It opens too many doors justifying increased scrutiny and limits on the people in an era that has seen too many abrogations of our freedom already. We have a method for changing things, and it was given good use this November, but it seems too slow and in the wrong direction for some. Newton's Third Law applies here, and the reaction to this incident may be very detrimental to our freedoms.

Yes. Very well said. The totality of the circumstances of this tragic event pose a significant threat to our liberties. In fact, short of assassination of a president, I can't think of a situation that could creat a greater emotional and political perfect storm for acceptance of further restrictions on individual freedom.

Collateral damage will be further stigmatization of the general population of persons with some form of mental illness, who will be lumped with the very small percentage of violent "nut jobs", and considered dangerous.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 01/09/11. Reason: perfect storm

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Enrique
Matthew 22:15-22
Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"

"Caesar's," they replied.

Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Nowhere did Jesus say it was or was not extortion. So your words of justification have no backing.

I believe it was you who claimed the Bible proved your point that taxation is not extortion, therefore the onus is on you to provide the verse which says it is not.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
... and what do we do about them once identified?

Well, they're not going to be locked up in mental institutions, like they used to be.

That would cost money, more money than it costs for Medicaid to pay for the meds that lunatics like Loughner take or choose not to take, depending on how they wish to exercise their presumed right to an independent lifestyle.

Locking them up isn't going to happen for the same reason we're not keeping career felons locked up for their entire sentences. Taxpayers do not want to spend money on it.

Taxpayers - not the usual run of folk who drop by the 'Fire, of course - would rather piss and moan and complain about atrocities such as this, than do the ONE THING that would truly make a difference, not just to the congresswoman, but thousands of other families each year, and that is ...

Open up their frigging checkbooks and PAY for institutionalization of the dangerously unstable.

Americans as a whole are just too cheap to do it.

- Tom

I'm not sure I want to agree with you in that I'm not sure I want to pay for it either. But I will agree from past experience in trying to get things done for clients and the like, that there are just not very many viable options for taking care of people who are mentally ill in a dangerous way BEFORE they do something like this.

I've seen guys go out and do something crazy (maybe not to this scale)get sent to prison, get medicated, and in a year or two he is perfectly normal.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I agree with you about the Ted thread.

Same here. That one ran some good folk off.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Enrique
Where does he say it is?
He said pay your taxes. He didn't say pay your taxes only if you agree with government.

Extortion is when you force somebody to give you something of his, even if he doesn't want to, under threat of violence.

Taxation is when the State forces somebody to give it something of his, even if he doesn't want to, under threat of violence.

Same-same--except that the State gets away with it, because it's the State.

Did you read the link? Jesus isn't saying that the government had a right to demand the tax under consideration. As a matter of fact, he's saying precisely the opposite. Don't miss verse 26. But he thought that paying it wouldn't do any significant damage, and refusing to pay it would lead to unnecessary and unproductive trouble.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Barak has put himself beyond the Pale with his comments on this.

Well, the fictional portrayal of what he said is certainly beyond the pale. A reading of his actual posts utilizing ordinary care shows no such thing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I dunno. Maybe because Ted WAS a murderer himself and his horrible death was delayed justice?? Works for me.

She voted for the health care bill. I've seen lots of the people on this thread who claim to be outraged at this killing, railing against the injustice of the health care bill with its "DEATH PANELS" because they believe it will result in bad medical care, premature deaths, and possibly state sanctioned murder.

I still think this whole deal is a trajedy, I'm just trying to get a handle on whose death this board says it is okay to cheer. It seems a little inconsistent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TRH/Barak,

read Matthew 22:15-22 The answer is there. If he is saying to pay your taxes, then how is it extortion?
I read Barak's verse and understand it. Read mine and you'll see that he said "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." Nowhere did he say if you want to and nowhere did he say pay it but its extortion.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was directing my comment to your statement about Ted Kennedy. You went to an apples or oranges tack,not me.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 22250rem, 12savage, 50 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,294
Posts18,505,315
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.