Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Rape or incest? As I recall, our judicial system is based on the idea that it's better for 10 criminals to go free than for 1 innocent person to be punished. So why is this reversed to commit capital punishment on the innocent victims of a crime because they're inconvenient?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by 340boy
Tim,
As far as I know, there are ~4000 abortions per DAY in the USA.
I don't know how many of those have been as a result of rape, but surely it is a minute fraction??

I don't know the number of rapes either but as a man I have no right to make that decision for a woman.
I love how 'men' are so quick to give up their fatherly rights. Where did that woman get the sperm again?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by djs

Correction - a fetus is not a baby

Lets see now. A fetus has 10 fingers and 10 toes. It has a working brain, a beating heart, and all the DNA necessary to produce children of it's own. It has the same number of chromosomes as a person of 40. It's either a male or a female. It's cells are absorbing nutrients and using them for growth. Now just what is it lacking for it to be a baby?

It's fully a person, but just at an earlier stage of life. Allowing this person to be killed at the convenience of it's mother is exactly the same as allowing a 90 year old to be killed at the convenience of his children. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

I agree!

When my wife and I lost a pregnancy a few years ago at the end of the first trimester it sure felt like we lost a baby, it was devastating. Even the doctor referred to it as a baby.

I hope to never forget the feeling I got the first time I saw that baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound screen.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Tim,
I don't know how many of those have been as a result of rape, but surely it is a minute fraction??

I don't know the number of rapes either but as a man I have no right to make that decision for a woman.
I'll find that stat for you but let me ask this. Put aside for one second rape and 'medical reasons', are you in favor of the killing of healthy 'fetuses' by a healthy mother who had consensual sex and became pregnant? To use the common lexicon, "abortion on demand"?

Personally, if I was a healthy mother with a healthy fetus I would not abort. Personally, I wish there were no abortions. However, I'm a man who can't get pregnant.

If I'm to stick to my liberal/Bohemian principles of freedom and liberty I would have to say yes although I hope it would be rare. As a man, it's my responsiblity, that if I have consenual sex, that it not lead to pregancy and then to a abortion.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim,

I'll find that stat for you but let me ask this. Put aside for one second rape and 'medical reasons', are you in favor of the killing of healthy 'fetuses' by a healthy mother who had consensual sex and became pregnant? To use the common lexicon, "abortion on demand"?

Personally, if I was a healthy mother with a healthy fetus I would not abort. Personally, I wish there were no abortions. However, I'm a man who can't get pregnant.

If I'm to stick to my liberal/Bohemian principles of freedom and liberty I would have to say yes although I hope it would be rare. As a man, it's my responsiblity, that if I have consenual sex, that it not lead to pregancy and then to a abortion.
And if you are the liberal/bohemian father of that to be born child and the mother 'changes her mind' and decides she'd rather just kill it, then what?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I hope to never forget the feeling I got the first time I saw that baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound screen.
It's impossible to forget and impossible to explain unless and until you experience it.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Beyond belief. How the freak has this guy kept his medical license this long?

He appears to be a Black MD.... Guessing State medical boards live in fear of being called "racist".

Very special place in Hell coming for this monster.

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Nah, I don't want to get dragged into this debate, as libertarian I support a persons right to make a regretful and poor choice without interference from the government. Abortion is choice and an ugly one at that, individuals that make that choice are solely responsible for their decisions.

I will say that our our legal system is founded on old English law which has some interesting concepts regarding "animation", "quickening", and what constitutes the murder of the unborn and what doesn't.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/445/Abortion-Abortion-in-English-law.html

In the thirteenth century St. Thomas Aquinas had said that life is manifested principally in two kinds of actions: knowledge and movement. It could be taken to follow that animus, soul, or life, enters the body of the unborn infant when it first moves or stirs in the womb. This became the rule of English law. "Quickening" (literally, "coming to life") was held to occur not at a fixed time after conception, but at the moment when fetal movement is first detected�an event that varies with each pregnancy, but which usually happens near midterm, around the twentieth week.

It is not known exactly when this became the rule in England. The early twelfth-century text known as the Leges Henrici Primi took it for granted that animation occurs forty days after conception: abortion (which was treated only as an ecclesiastical offense) was said to be subject to three years' penance if it took place within those forty days, ten years' penance, as "quasi homicide," if it took place after animation (quickening). The identification of quickening with the first perception of fetal movement has been thought to date from the time of Henry de Bracton, a thirteenth-century judge and contemporary of Aquinas, who wrote the first systematic treatise on English law. But Bracton merely restated the canon law rule: "If one strikes a pregnant woman or gives her poison in order to procure an abortion, if the fetus is already formed or animated (quickened), especially if it is animated (quickened), he commits homicide." The usage by which a quickened fetus means one that has been felt moving in the womb could well be a much later development.

Although Bracton said that abortion of a quickened fetus was homicide, later writers insisted that it could not be homicide at common law. The proposition that abortion cannot be homicide is reiterated by practically every major writer on English criminal law, from William Staunford and William Lambard in the sixteenth century, through Edward Coke and Matthew Hale in the seventeenth century, to William Hawkins and William Blackstone in the eighteenth century. Homicide was agreed to require the prior birth of the victim. Murder might be charged, according to Hale, if the woman on whom an abortion was performed died as a result. Murder also might be charged, according to Coke, if a botched abortion injured a fetus that afterwards was born alive and then died from its prenatal injuries. But where a fetus, even a quickened fetus, was killed in the womb, resulting in stillbirth, whatever the crime, it would not be homicide at common law.

I will say that if the reports of what this doctor did are true, then murder charges are warranted.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The whole argument about when a "fetus" becomes a baby is a silly mute point. At what time does the "fetus" have the option to become anything other than a living breathing human being. It's not going to turn into a puppy now is it?

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NeBassman
as libertarian I support a persons right to make a regretful and poor choice without interference from the government.
As a conservative, so do I... right up until that 'regretful and poor choice' kills someone else.

NRA Lifer

IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's impossible to forget and impossible to explain unless and until you experience it.

Been there, done that. Not fun. Wife lost one after our first son was born. He was five at the time, and one of the hardest things to hear from him was "so I'm not going to be a big brother?" He said that through very emotional tears. Tore me up. I couldn't look him in the eye for fear of him seeing how upset I was. I walked outside and bawled. Second son came along the following year and all is good. But I heard that "fetus'" heartbeat, and you could never convince me it wasn't a baby, even in the first trimester.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some one should snip his spinal cord with a scissors!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BLG

Been there, done that. Not fun. Wife lost one after our first son was born. He was five at the time, and one of the hardest things to hear from him was "so I'm not going to be a big brother?" He said that through very emotional tears. Tore me up. I couldn't look him in the eye for fear of him seeing how upset I was. I walked outside and bawled. Second son came along the following year and all is good. But I heard that "fetus'" heartbeat, and you could never convince me it wasn't a baby, even in the first trimester.

Clyde
Whew... I can only imagine, thankfully. It was a loooong hard emotional road for my wife and I. Doctor finally said, "Sorry, it's not going to happen. Give up." I'll save the religious experience for those so offended here, but thank you Lord for my healthy 8 year old and for that doctor being proven wrong! He is the light of our lives!

NRA Lifer

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
djs
Correction - a fetus is not a baby (wait! I've got to get my helmet and flack vest on). Also, he killed the mother, a bona fide human being, through his incompetence; he misapplied anesthesia.

I do believe that he is not a hero to anyone, liberal or not. Liberals (BTW) do not necessarily agree with abortion, only the rights of a woman to seek medical attention and treatment. They, at least, want to keep the government out of their (and our) lives and privacy. Some conservatives, on the other hand, want to get the government into our lives and bedrooms.

sadly, you are sounding more and more like Jeff O, BC Brian, and the other ultra libs. You are very mistaken on your view of what liberals think, or want. Guess being one makes you want to obfuscate the issue.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This will be an interesting case to follow in the court system, plea agreements and or appeals will be certain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by geaux_lsu
And if you are the liberal/bohemian father of that to be born child and the mother 'changes her mind' and decides she'd rather just kill it, then what?

I hope that I had chosen a better mate than that but it's the law and she gets to abort. I move on and hopefully I find a better mate the next time.

The major problem with living in a free society where men and women have reasonably equal rights, men and women get to make real dumb choices. I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I hope that I had chosen a better mate than that but it's the law and she gets to abort. I move on and hopefully I find a better mate the next time.

The major problem with living in a free society where men and women have reasonably equal rights, men and women get to make real dumb choices. I wouldn't have it any other way.
So you allow HER to terminate YOUR parental rights/desires? Interesting. Must be that whole "bohemian" thing which I admitedly can't relate to.
Thanks for the answer.

NRA Lifer

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If I'm to stick to my liberal/Bohemian principles of freedom and liberty I would have to say yes although I hope it would be rare. As a man, it's my responsibility, that if I have consensual sex, that it not lead to pregancy and then to a abortion.

So you allow HER to terminate YOUR parental rights/desires? Interesting. Must be that whole "bohemian" thing which I admitedly can't relate to.
Thanks for the answer.

I didn't say I agree with the law but it's the law and there is nothing I can do about it. The courts generally up hold the women's rights over the men's rights. Maybe there should be a clause in the marriage contract protecting the men's rights. I don't know.

In a perfect free society the men's rights would be given equal weight to the women's rights. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect free society. In fact, there are many who would say we don't live in a free society at all. In our half free society not all rights are given equal weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and note that liberals support infanticide, yet cringe at the thought of a convicted rapist or murderer being executed.

Good point.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't asking you a legal question.
I didn't say I agree with the law but it's the law and there is nothing I can do about it.
Since you are self professed liberal I'm sort of glad you think that. But... even though I don't know you I'd bet you don't really have that misconception.
You are killing me!
In light of recent news I do not mean to imply that DD is literally killing me, is contemplating killing me or could be moved to kill me due to any of the contents in this thread posted by me or anyone else with conflicting or even parallel opinions.

NRA Lifer

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 3,337 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,263
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.