-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There were lotsa colors to contrast,which worked nicely..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are right up there with your Pops buck from a year or two ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nawwwwwwww...Pop's take the Prize,by landslide............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Palerider3
... Remington 700 ADL 30-06 with a 22" barrel, 1/10 twist and was trying to shoot the Barnes 168 gr TTSX. ... so 150 TTSX it is.

165 MRX gave me good results with 57-57.5 gr IMR 4350...

Originally Posted by Palerider3
I may ... A friend of a friend of mine has a chrono, I may see if I can use his. If I did this what velocity range am I looking to obtain. The gun is going to be used as a hunting rifle, so while I want to get the absolute tightest group possible I want to make sure that I can make a quick, clean, ethical kill out to about 350 yds max. Since MV controls many of the factors of calculating bullet drop it would be nice to have a chrono.

Also, how did you control the neck tension with the bullet seated out to 0.070" off the lands (Redding Type S bushing dies, which I don't own). Problem with my rifle is that when measuring the distance to the lands the bullet is just about out of the case...

Palerider3 �

First, using your friend�s chrono is a good idea. The reason I use .5g powder increments and look for a string of shots that provide good accuracy and consistent velocity increases is that such strings generally represent a sweet spot that is tolerant of minor variations in powder charges. I much prefer to use a load in the middle of such a string for that reason.

What kind of velocity can you expect? Every rifle is different but my two Ruger .30-06s both run about 2900fps with the 168g TTSX and H4350. I load them at 2813fps for my son-in-law�s Savage .30-06. Last time I chrono�d an MRX in one of my .30-06s it was running 2861fps with H4350. All have 22� barrels.

Haven�t tried anything in 150�s except the AccuBond, so I can�t help with Barnes 150g velocities.

What do I do to control neck tension? Not much. I�m a fanatic on case length and trim fairly regularly. I full-length size the cases (I build good hunting ammo, not match ammo) and if I have cases .005� over trim length, I trim the whole batch. Other than making sure I have adequate seating depth inside the neck, I don�t do anything special for neck tension � no crimping except on my straight-wall rifle and pistol cases. My preference is to seat to the bottom of the neck, or very close to it. I�ve often joked that in some of my rifles the bullets couldn�t touch the lands with a stick. My Bob is that way and it is a hell of a shooter.

For 350 yards you don�t need super accurate ammo unless you are shooting 13-stripe ground squirrels -- 2� at 100 is more than adequate for antelope and up at 350 yards, no matter how unsatisfactory they may be for you personally. (Such accuracy in a bolt gun would not make me happy, either.)

Hope this helps.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shaking my head................(again)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I hear good things about the Ti 7-08's.

They don't shoot X's though,huh?..................

Oh I got it to shoot a little before I sent it on it's way. Not much use for a pencil barrelled mountain rifle down in the swamps....though I would have made a spot if it had shot the way I wanted it to.

[Linked Image]

Bruz

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful pics by the way.

Robert

Bruz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell...I musta got a "bad" one.

[Linked Image]

Points awarded for the humor,with the '414 and the 2.735" COAL!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shaking my head................(again)

Shake it all you like. I have better things to do than care.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which is why you Posted yet another whine,to elaborate upon your gross stupidity.

No need,it's well beyond obvious................

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which is why you Posted yet another whine,to elaborate upon your gross stupidity.

You do "pompous" and condescension well enough that you could forgo the personal put-downs.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Congratulations, Big Stick.

Over the years I�ve only put 2-3 people on my �Ignore� lists. You just got added to that list.

Have a nice life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

You do "pompous" and condescension well enough that you could forgo the personal put-downs.

Facts ain't personal................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Congratulations, Big Stick.

Over the years I�ve only put 2-3 people on my �Ignore� lists. You just got added to that list.

Have a nice life.

Only you,can prevent you...from saying something stupid.

Good luck on "Ignore" curing that!...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hell...I musta got a "bad" one.

[Linked Image]

Points awarded for the humor,with the '414 and the 2.735" COAL!..............

Im glad I could add to your humor. Tried Varget,tried 120s,140s, tried many different seating depths. This was the best I could get her to do. Granted I could have changed and worked with many different loads but I had no need. My LVSF 7/08 shot in the .2s on occasion and in the .5s regularly with 43.5gr of Varget and 140 TSXs and anyone can shoot 1-5 groups really tight....the aggregate is where the story lies.

Notice the COAL

[Linked Image]

Bruz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Improved Cylinder?

Varget and COAL noted,you have a very wicked sense of humor!

Obliged...............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Improved Cylinder?

Varget and COAL noted,you have a very wicked sense of humor!

Obliged...............

[Linked Image]

Yep...went to a Full here though.

[Linked Image]

Bruz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I live in 1st Gen Ti 7-08 Country,with the highest per capita concentration on the Planet.

All dazzle,though none are at sub 2.8" COAL's or suffer '414,Varget or any other brainfarts...if only for conversation...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live in 1st Gen Ti 7-08 Country,with the highest per capita concentration on the Planet.

All dazzle,though none are at sub 2.8" COAL's or suffer '414,Varget or any other brainfarts...if only for conversation...............

I'll take a sub .5" "brain fart" all day long....oh the suffering.

Bruz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can make mine shoot that big,but the temps gotta be low,I need to be soaked and the wind needs to be beyond "brisk",to lower my core temp enough to get me shaking that much.

Would love to hear speeds too,so if only to letcha REALLY ring the bell..............

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 10 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.