Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I am planning on steeling your water why would I need a well...."

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A fella here asked me one day if I wanted to go shoot a nilgai. I said, "Hell yeah"! Then he told me where and how. He wanted to go in my boat into Baffin bay, pull up to shore and walk in from there, shoot the nilgai and drag it back to the boat. After I picked up my jaw off the floor and stopped making the sign of the cross to ward off evil, I asked him if he was serious. He said, "yes" that some guy at work had done it. I told him he was crazy but I wasn't. First off those folks will kill you, second a nilgai is as big as a cow, and thirdly those folks will kill you. I don't know if he ever gave that a try. Don't want to know. He's still alive and walking on his own so I reckon not.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
when i was in high school i got invited to hunt on Jack Storms ranch down in Premont. Jack Jr had a place cut in the king ranch fence line, he would drive his jeep through. he wanted to know if i wanted to get one of them Santa Gertrudis steers. I was young 15 but not dumb.The way he made it sound he hunted there more than their own ranch which had bucks most only dream about.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I used to poach eggs.

[Linked Image]

As long as you slathered a homemade Hollandaise sauce on them, set 'em on a slab of Canuck bacon atop a toasted, buttered muffin', well, I think you oughta' get a pass. Just watch yourself though.

L

P.S. 9.7! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having grown up on a farm. douche bags like nemesis seriously pi$$ me off. When I was a teenager, I was heading up to one of the hay fields, to sit in a tree with my longbow for the last few hours of the day. As I'm pulling through the gate, I see movement at the back of the field, and I'll be damned if it isn't some idiot in full camo hustling his a$$ out of my stand! Now I'm really PO's, and start heading that way. He sees me coming and lays down to hide. We weren't able to get a third cutting due to weather late that summer, so the hay is damn near knee high. I point the truck at the last place I saw him, and figured if he's dumb enough to stay there, I'm going to run his a$$ over. I get within 30 yards or so, and he jumps up waving his arms like a nut! It turns out, he's one of the neighbors we don't care for, and have caught him several times before. I tell him to get the f out, which he didn't really appreciate coming from a kid, but he left. I still laugh like hell, seeing that nitwit jump up in front of me waving! Kinda glad he didn't stay put, as he'd of gotten run over, and not sure if that would have been such a smart thing to do, on my part.

Jeff

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It was just a matter of time before his mouth ran him outta here. Nemesis never contributed much to the fire.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outlaw country...no-man's land in between the Sabine and Angelina Rivers is east Texas is where I come from, and still live. NathanL knows what I say. Even then, poaching came to a standstill when it changed from a Class C Misdemeanor to a felony, a few years back. Consequences work.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
true, there use to be a prominent lawyer from Kingsville that use to get caught poaching the Kingranch almost every year. all he had to do was walk out his front door cross the street and jump a fence. My dad asked him why he kept doing it and he said it was cheaper to pay the $250 fine(back in the 70s) than to pay for a lease.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This guy ought to be careful lest some serious assed land owner goes Braveheart on his poaching punkass! Cut and quartered and staked to a pole at the four corners of the land in question...William Wallace style!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked for Walsh Storm and his son Phillip in the 80s on their place over in Realitos. NO poaching there. Everybody hunted on the "Long Ranch".

Alan

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh Yeah, and whatever Nemesis is doing when he crosses a fence, enters private property uninvited, hunts, and kills something is;

POACHING

Alan

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by lhonda
Originally Posted by mike762
When someone shows up on your property armed, how do you know his intentions? If you do not assume they are up to no good, you are asking to be harmed yourself. This IS a case of self defense, as questioning an armed lawbreaker is a hazardous occupation, just ask any LEO.

So following that line of logic, you're suggesting just what, exactly? You shoot the guy on sight? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Serious question, and no, I'm not looking to pick a fight or sling shyte for slinging shyte's sake. But then, that could change. Let's see where this goes. I'll get started on a stiff drink and putting the slippers on. wink

If I'm out on my property, which is well and visibly posted, and I see an individual or group of individuals on my property with weapons, I have to make some basic assumptions. One is that they are already breaking the law by being where it is clearly evident that they should not be. The second is that they are armed, and I don't have a clue to what their intent is. I'm going to approach these individuals with the assumption that they are up to no good, and willing to escalate. I will have my weapon out and at low ready when I challenge them, and if I perceive a threat from them I will eliminate that threat.

Obviously if they're not armed it would change how I approach things, but that wasn't the topic. We are speaking about armed trespass with the intent to poach or steal. I would have to make a determination as to level of force, and that would depend upon how the trespasser was armed and distances involved. Bow v. handgun at 50 yards, or bow v. rifle at any distance would result in a much less aggressive response than rifle v. rifle, or multiple trespassers. Either way, if you're confronting anyone with a weapon who has shown a willingness to break the law, you have to assume the worst. It would be foolish to do otherwise.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
to suggest that shooting them is a solition or understandable, in any situation other then self-defense, is just plain wrong.

Absolutely, no where in my comment did I see an inference to shooting a person.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/23/11.

1Minute
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

That being said I have to question the intent of the OP.

How clear do I have to make it for you?

I think 'ol Nem is a giant prick who tries to throw his weight around and I got tired of it and decided to call him on it.

You want to defend an avowed poacher, be my guest.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by rrroae
[quote=Middlefork_Miner]...when hunting though, I could give a chit less who "owns it" unless they actually have it posted "no trespassing"...

You mean if it's not posted it's ok for you to hunt there?

In several states the land doesn't have to be posted. If you don't own it, or have permission to be on it, you're tresspassing, plain and simple.

Wisconsin is one of them and trespassing without permission is going to cost you $2,000.00.

2K? 2K?
I don't think so. More like $2-400. 2K is felony territory [/quote

Really ,tell that to the guy I caught last year.Him and his kid paid 2 g`s a piece.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Scott F
You mean you spent all the sweat and money for yourself and not for others to just come and steal? grin
Game critters unless in a high fence situation like Hindsite's place are public property. Poaching on private property is not "stealing" from the land owner as he does not own or control the game animals, only the land they are on.
It's trespassing, isn't right or legal, nor do I condone or do it, but it is not theft of personal or private property as the "game" is property of the state which includes all of the people.

Good point. You got me on that one. grin

A better choice of words would have been:
You mean you spent all the sweat and money for yourself and not for others take advantage of you and hunt your land without even asking?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After I wrote what looked like a personal attack, which it was not meant to be, I wished I would have worded it differently, or not said anything at all.
Apologies to you Scott.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 700LH
After I wrote what looked like a personal attack, which it was not meant to be, I wished I would have worded it differently, or not said anything at all.
Apologies to you Scott.

There's a man with great integrity to apoligize for something like that. Kudos 700.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lhonda
When someone shows up on your property armed, how do you know his intentions? If you do not assume they are up to no good, you are asking to be harmed yourself. This IS a case of self defense, as questioning an armed lawbreaker is a hazardous occupation, just ask any LEO.

So following that line of logic, you're suggesting just what, exactly? You shoot the guy on sight? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Serious question, and no, I'm not looking to pick a fight or sling shyte for slinging shyte's sake. But then, that could change. Let's see where this goes. I'll get started on a stiff drink and putting the slippers on. wink

If I'm out on my property, which is well and visibly posted, and I see an individual or group of individuals on my property with weapons, I have to make some basic assumptions. One is that they are already breaking the law by being where it is clearly evident that they should not be. The second is that they are armed, and I don't have a clue to what their intent is. I'm going to approach these individuals with the assumption that they are up to no good, and willing to escalate. I will have my weapon out and at low ready when I challenge them, and if I perceive a threat from them I will eliminate that threat.

Obviously if they're not armed it would change how I approach things, but that wasn't the topic. We are speaking about armed trespass with the intent to poach or steal. I would have to make a determination as to level of force, and that would depend upon how the trespasser was armed and distances involved. Bow v. handgun at 50 yards, or bow v. rifle at any distance would result in a much less aggressive response than rifle v. rifle, or multiple trespassers. Either way, if you're confronting anyone with a weapon who has shown a willingness to break the law, you have to assume the worst. It would be foolish to do otherwise.

OK; appreciate and respect the response. Thanks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I run cattle on this place and hunt there on occasion - with permission, and I ask each time I go hunting.

[Linked Image]

Confrontations with trespassers can get touchy. I think it is usually the people who do not own any property, or at best own a postage stamp sized yard in the city and would absolutely go ballistic if your chihuahua took a dump over their line.

I can think of three confrontations I was involved in that got out of hand. Truthfully, one still bothers me a great deal to this day, even though it happened around 30 years ago. I politely told a trespassing father and his probably pre-teen son that they were trespassing and would have to leave. Pops reacted loudly and violently and tried to point his rifle at me. I sincerely hope that he feels a great deal of shame - to this day, and every day - for what his son had to witness.

I'm certainly no badass and never look for trouble, but the concept of returning to or hunting on land where you have been turned away is pure BS. One of the three instances mentioned above was exactly that situation - my late 105lbs mom told some guys that drove up in the lane to hunt that they were not welcome. Their solution was to drive away about 100 yards and start gearing up. Cocky enough to think that no 105 lbs woman was going to boss them around. They should have been smart enough to pay attention to all of the vehicles parked around the house.

Is anyone surprised that it is hard to get permission to hunt someone else's property with this kind of crap going on?
Is anyone really surprised that the harsh signs like I mentioned earlier exist?
I, for one, would never consider testing the owners to see if they were serious.

My home place is marked with simple homemade plywood "No Trespassing" signs placed in obvious places. We own another farm in a place where purple paint on a tree is adequate marking, and another in an area where the local paper publishes a list of "posted" properties. It is your responsibility to check the local paper, no additional markings beyond the public notice is required to identify the land as posted.

Our family is a good example of why a lot of ground is not open to public access (ignoring the damage done by trespassers). Mom and dad had six kids. I can remember as a little kid that dad freely granted access. Then us boys started hunting so he restricted the non-family access to his close friends only. Now us 6 kids are parents and grandparents and we have the hunters of those two generations of kids that are hunting our little spot. Really ain't no room for anyone else outside of the family.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (21, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.