OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In Barnes & Noble this weekend and got the
Feb 2011 issue of Shooting Illustrated.
First - This is a good gun mag
Second - On the cover is a very odd looking
revolver. The Chiappa Rhino 200 DS.
It's a 25 ounce, snub nose 357 MAG.

Anyone seen the Rhino 357 MAG ? Great name !
Any comments on it or Shooting Illustrated ?
Thanks

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
from what i've read it doesn't have much recoil but i'll stick with traditional revolver design ty

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why? I mean, really, someone sat down and dreamed that up. Then he went to the trouble of having it manufactured. Again I ask, why?

Landrum

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lan..,

Yours could be the question asked when a flintlock owner saw the first Colt revolver.

O

Too old to suffer fools
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I reckon, but whew!!, that thing is U G L Y!

Landrum

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That's a butt ugly sumbitch!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eewwww!

Originally Posted by Landrum
Why? I mean, really, someone sat down and dreamed that up. Then he went to the trouble of having it manufactured. Again I ask, why?

Landrum

Maybe they did it to make the new Ruger revolver look good.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Hotload
...Anyone seen the Rhino 357 MAG ? Great name !
Any comments on it or Shooting Illustrated ?
Thanks

It's basically a Mateba w/o the auto-revolving function. I got to see/handle/dry fire a couple at the SHOT show. They had very good da trigger pulls.

I got to fire a Mateba once--it was a unique and wonderful experience--not sure that the gun fills a need, but it's a neat gun. You won't believe the difference in the felt recoil by firing out of the bottom instead on the top of the cylinder. It's a completely different feel. I was also impressed by how the thin the gun was.

Solution to a non-existing problem???? Maybe, but still a way-cool experience to shoot.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I reckon, but whew!!, that thing is U G L Y!

Landrum

We agree. It looks like a grad school engineering project, "Hey guys, let's see if we can make an upside down revolver!" Prolly it's just an attempt to come up with something differant to sell the public. Dern thing Realy Does look like a Rhino.

Anyone ever see a price on them?

O

Too old to suffer fools
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hotload:
- - - - -
I came across this 'THING' on the Web some time ago ...

It IS serious and of quality Construction/Innovation. I am intrigued - and besides, I think it's kinda cool.

Whether it fly's or not ...

If YOU want one ... STRIKE NOW WHILST THE IRON IS STILL HOT !!!

You may end up having something REAL good, that NO ONE else will ever be able to obtain in retospect.

If all else fails ... THIS GUN WON'T

Thanxs for yer Post.

N
N
I think that someone is being a little hasty about condemning the design features and principle of operation of the Chiappa Rhino. The Rhino design is similar to the Mateba Unica 6 and I believe stems from the same engineer/designer.

The principle is to lower the barrel to the lowest axis in the frame thus reducing muzzle rise forces and more directly align the recoil with the shooters hand/wrist. This would lead to a more balanced feel and even reduce the recoil.

The Mateba took the concept to another level and uses a sliding barrel much like the popular semi automatics which causes the cylinder to rotate and the hammer to reset eliminating the direct mechanical links usually found in revolvers.

Over 100 years ago the Webley Fossey design for a semi automatic revolver was patented.

I suggest we let time be the judge on the validity of this design.

As to appearances-well- beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder but I suspect the longer barrel versions may look more balanced.

All in all-I think we should encourage innovation in gun design beyond composites and alloys.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Don't cha know anything different will be ridiculed and called ugly .

Can you imagine what the critics of the first semi auto said!

Or the very first revolver?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
why some folks think a woman NEEDS giant baloon ti!!ies and baloon azz too!

Does the ugly thing shoot?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like it but... I 'm not sure about getting it worked on... so I pass.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Cool,At least its somthing new!

N
N
Attn: Florida Gun Owners - Support SB402

In 1987, the Florida Legislature passed a firearms preemption statute (f.s.790.33) to provide uniformity of gun laws -- in fact, it is called the "Joe Carlucci Uniform Firearms Act."

It was intended to stop local governments from making criminals out of law-abiding citizens just because they simply crossed a city limit or county line. It was intended to provide uniform gun laws so that no matter where in the state you live and no matter where in the state you travel, the same gun laws apply.

Unfortunately, the law contains no penalties for violations because no one ever imagined that local elected officials and government workers would willfully and knowingly violate state law.

The absence of penalties has lead to many intentional violations and has resulted in subsequent lawsuits to protect the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Over and over again, NRA attorneys have written letters to local governments informing them that proposed ordinances violate state law. Unfortunately, when their lawyers confirm that the ordinance would be illegal, they usually also explain that there are no penalties for violating the law -- consequently, some jurisdictions have arrogantly thumbed their noses at state law and have passed illegal ordinances anyway.

In 2000, the City of South Miami was one of the cities that NRA lawyers wrote concerning a proposed ordinance that violated state law.

The City's external counsel confirmed that it was a violation, but also noted that there were no penalties. We were informed that city Commissioners were told that without penalties, they could do what they wanted to do. Further, an illegal ordinance would stand until the City was sued and a court declared the ordinance void.

The rights of law-abiding gun-owners were being violated, so NRA sued.

NRA won the lawsuit and, in fact, the appellate court even noted in its opinion that the court had previously ruled that local ordinances violate state law.

The court refused to award NRA attorney's fees. But nobody said the City couldn't use tax dollars to pay their own expenses and pay outside counsel to defend their illegal actions. That is egregious.

So, not only did they violate the rights of residents but then they used their tax dollars to pay the legal fees of those who intentionally did it.

It is not the NRA's responsibility to enforce state law, but nobody else will do it because there are no specified penalties.

A local attorney is currently suing Lee County for violating the state preemption law.

In the Lee County case, not only did state Representative Paige Kreegel tell them their ordinance was illegal, but then-Attorney General Bill McCollum also told them.

N
N
From Carbon 15 post on the Highroad.org website

Finaly saw a Rhino in person at the gunshow today. I felt like taking a risk, and I'm a sucker for a unique design, so I took it home ($699). Its ugly, and handsome all at the same time. comes with a nice hardcase and a Galco-like leather holster. Its blocky and heavy, but feels great in your hand. The trigger pull is pretty good, but not S&W DA revolver like. Reminds me a little of the LCR, not overly heavy, but stacks. The single action is exquisite. The exposed hammer looking thing is not a hammer at all. The real hammer is internal, the exposed hammer is a cocking lever. The lever dosnt rise and fall with the trigger pull, but simply serves to cock the internal hammer. There is a little red button that pops up when the internal hammer is in SA mode. The fixed sights are crisp and shot to POA. Accuracy was surprising and frankly shocking. I have lots of revolvers and several snubbies, and this little ugly bastard outshot any DA revolver I own!! I shot a golfball sized group at 20 yards offhand. I'm not sure if its a matter of mechanical accuracy or if the low bore axis, and superior ergonomics just make it more shootable. Speaking of low bore axis...muzzle flip is non-existant as most have speculated. You cant change the laws of physics, so magnums still smack you in the palm a little, but still have almost no flip.
Size..hmmm. N frame sized gun, J frame sized grip....more comfortable and balanced than it sounds. really unlike anything you have ever felt.

I dont think it will replace any guns I currently own, or even see much use outside of plinking. But it is fairly fasinating.
Its weird and ugly, but shoots like a champ....currently awaiting the longer barrel version!!

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/75

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Landrum

My thought exactly. I've never seen one in person, but I wouldn't buy one because I just don't like the looks of it, but that aside, what are the advantages of having the barrel on the bottom? Just because it's different doesn't make it better - or even useful. Has anyone ever handled one?

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
N
N
Originally Posted by daddywpb

Landrum

My thought exactly. I've never seen one in person, but I wouldn't buy one because I just don't like the looks of it, but that aside, what are the advantages of having the barrel on the bottom? Just because it's different doesn't make it better - or even useful. Has anyone ever handled one?

As I stated in my previous post I think that you are being a little hasty about condemning the design features and principle of operation of the Chiappa Rhino. The Rhino design is similar to the Mateba Unica 6 and I believe stems from the same engineer/designer.

The principle is to lower the barrel to the lowest axis in the frame thus reducing muzzle rise forces and more directly align the recoil with the shooters hand/wrist. This would lead to a more balanced feel and even reduce the recoil.

The Mateba took the concept to another level and uses a sliding barrel much like the popular semi automatics which causes the cylinder to rotate and the hammer to reset eliminating the direct mechanical links usually found in revolvers.

Over 100 years ago the Webley Fossey design for a semi automatic revolver was patented.

I suggest we let time be the judge on the validity of this design.

As to appearances-well- beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder but I suspect the longer barrel versions may look more balanced.

All in all-I think we should encourage innovation in gun design beyond composites and alloys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 10 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,156
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.