Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bea175
A chit load of Germans would testify to the effectiveness of the 30 carbine if they could still talk.

Yea...but with Japs...they were one shot stops! Germans were supermen.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use to hunt a private island for hogs in Florida. Owner would not allow .30 Carbine. I'm sure those few that first tried were using mil-surplus ammo. With a moder expanding bullet should work. I love to shot mine. I have seen Javelina killed with a .30 carbine in Arizona, but have no idea if military ammo or reloads. My 35 Whelen & others does the job so I have no interest in shooting any game animal with a .30 Carbine

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If there's a carbine easier to carry and more fun to shoot I don't know what it is.
As I've said before, I don't want to be shot with one.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Ballistically, it's essentially a semi-automatic .32-20.

Judge accordingly.

Yes and no, depending on the bullet used. A softpoint .32-20 bullet, yes; a cast lead .32-20 bullet, no. I know a bunch of old-timers who took their first deer with a .32-20. It was a popular "boy's caliber" for deer hunting up here in Wisconsin back in the day.

For a number of years the number 1 Whitetail in Boone & Crocket none as the Jordan Buck was taken in Wisconcin with a 32-20

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You dont need a scope for home defense.

I dont live in town. I have a fairly large yard with several out buildings, so good sights are a must. Either peep or glass....

I wish Ruger would have made the PC Carbine in .45 ACP.

Sort of a modern M-1 Carbine....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in high school, Dad and I went deer hunting with a friend of his and his kid. That kid was carrying an 30 cal. Carbine. We were all together when we jumped a deer and I lung shot it with a Win 32 Spec. Then the kid cut loose with the carbine. He had a 16 shot mag and he literally hit it with every round. The whole back end of the deer was full of holes, none of which penetrated enough to put it down. Dad signaled me to keep my mouth shut and 'congratulated' the kid on his fine shooting and told him to tag it...or what was left of it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think inside 50 yds or something it would be a fine deer round - but really would not take to the woods with it for that purpose. For strolling about the countryside on varmint patrol and plinking it would be wonderfully fun I would think. Who makes ammo for it - and is it expensive? Just thinking abuot the average Joe nonreloader.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bcp
[Linked Image]
bcp - is that amound of his own poop he's sitting on? Gutsy dude.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Works good on song dogs, coons & feral hogs for me.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Ballistically, it's essentially a semi-automatic .32-20.

Judge accordingly.

Yes and no, depending on the bullet used. A softpoint .32-20 bullet, yes; a cast lead .32-20 bullet, no. I know a bunch of old-timers who took their first deer with a .32-20. It was a popular "boy's caliber" for deer hunting up here in Wisconsin back in the day.

For a number of years the number 1 Whitetail in Boone & Crocket none as the Jordan Buck was taken in Wisconcin with a 32-20

Actually, the Jordan buck was taken with a .25-20, not the .32-20.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
nutria

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Soon as I run out of CB Shorts I'm gonna upgrade to the Carbine. My vision is fading, I might need the extra shots....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I have a 30 Carbine with a slightly bent barrel. I bought it two years ago, it came with 600 rounds of 110 grn metal case UMC.

I have never fired it. Any suggestions about a source for a new barrel?

you could contact the gunsmith, john, at JG Sales.com
i am sure he would know, or have one himself.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the carbine sometimes gets a bad rap not for what it is, but in comparing it to much heavier rounds. I don't understand why people love the hkmp5 9mm firing a 115grain bullet at around 1200fps, but turn there nose up at a carbine firing a similar bullet at 2000fps. You can load jacketed softpoints in them and other bullets.
For a long time the only source for carbines were those sold through the NRA and declared junk by the military, until the south korean lend lease cam in, also a lot of worn out ones.
In recent years they have come back from germany and italy and are in much better condition. There were a number of aftermarket rifles made off of parts too.
I kind of like carbines, and was carrying one last weekend.
a iver johnson aftermarket reciever assembled with military parts, a williams peep reciever, on a aftermarket fiberglass stock. Handy easy packing little rifle and accurate as needs be for its intended purpose.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a "prettyed" up one as well.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An old rancher friend of mine carries a carbine on his ATV. He kills more coyotes during the spring calving season than most anyone I know. If a coyote is within 300 yards of him - it is a dead dog. The only modification he has made is a Williams receiver sight.

Johnny $

β€œMy horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
i say you could hunt can's in any varity in i say more

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Dad told me it wasn't worth a chit if it was really frozen and there were lots of Chicom targets. Just his personal experience though, better check with a gun writer.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pop carried an M-2 carbine in Korea,and loved it.He killed several Ar whitetails with a "NRA" M-1,after He came home.I personaly think it is a litttle lite for deer,but Pop was a good shot,picked his shot,and kept them short.I have it now,and its a fun rifle to shoot. Lightman

lightman
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M1 carbine vs frozen clothing:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot36.htm

Lessons learned:
1. If anyone shot at a North Korean Commie and he didn't go down, it was because they missed him. Because frozen clothing sure won't slow down a .30 Carbine.

2. The old warhorse, the .45 ACP Ball, isn't exactly "weak" in the penetration category either.

3. I don't know how this rumor got started, but it looks like it was completely false.

4. The .30 Carbine, as we have noted before, is highly underrated in many categories.

5. Shooting stuff is fun.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.