Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
The question remains....could a newbie attempt shots they have no business trying as a result of watching this BOTW show?

There's an easy way to answer that question, if you're really looking for the answer.

Watch the show and see for yourself.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well, I know how you feel. I saw Evil Knievel jump the Grand Canyon once, on a motorcycle. I know a guy, let's call him "Jill." He bought a mo-ped and tried to jump the canyon. He didn't make it.

That damn Knievel, it's all his fault.

Speaking of irony, wasn't it smokepole that thought the drunk-driving analogy was ridiculous. wink

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

The question remains....could a newbie attempt shots they have no business trying as a result of watching this BOTW show?

If they buy a cheapo scope and then shoot at game at 800 yards like Jack told you he was ready to now do and are as stupid as Jack, then the answer is yes

No one said Jack said HE was ready to shoot 800 yards. He plans to practice long-range shooting this year.

Jack thought his 'new' equipment was up to the task (which was about as bad).

So, you guys are all saying the media absolutely does NOT affect your preferences or purchases?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He plans to practice long-range shooting this year.

Werner, I think I found the problem.

His hunt was last year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Speaking of irony, wasn't it smokepole that thought the drunk-driving analogy was ridiculous. wink

Yes, it was me who said that. And it's still just as ridiculous, or a "non-sequitur" to be more precise. I think I already demonstrated that.

My example is much closer to reality in that both sides of the analogy include the experts, or guys who've really practiced their particular craft and use highly-specialized equipment, and the "wanna-be's" who watch them on TV once, don't put any work into becomimg proficient, and use equipment that is by definition not up to the task.

In both cases failure is the fault of the wanna-be's, not the experts.

So, you guys are all saying the media absolutely does NOT affect your preferences or purchases?

No, I don't recall saying that. But I'm pretty sure this particular show hasn't affected me, since I've never seen it.

Has it affected you?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
He plans to practice long-range shooting this year.

Werner, I think I found the problem.

His hunt was last year.

The hunt last year (and a show) influenced purchases this year.

Reading comprehension must be a God-given gift.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think you missed the point which was your pal Jack put the cart before the horse, so it's no wonder he missed those shots.

In other words, it's his fault entirely, not a TV show's fault.

What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions?

Your pal Jack's problem was not a TV show, but his failure to take responsibility for his own actions.

What has the world come to when people blame their own shortcomings on a TV show?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think you missed the point which was your pal Jack put the cart before the horse, so it's no wonder he missed those shots.

In other words, it's his fault entirely, not a TV show's fault.

What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions?

Your pal Jack's problem was not a TV show, but his failure to take responsibility for his own actions.

What has the world come to when people blame their own shortcomings on a TV show?

Again, I in no way support Jacks actions (the lack of reading comprehension must be rearing its' ugly head once again).

He missed at 350, which I would hardly classify as ultra-long-range.

He wants to be capable of shooting 800 yards, but does not totally understand what that entails.........yet.

My frustration is having this 'show' brought up when trying to encourage the necessary requirements for shooting at even 400 yards.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Again, I in no way support Jacks actions (the lack of reading comprehension must be rearing its' ugly head once again).

Go back, read what I posted, and see if you can find where I said or implied that you "support Jack's actions" as you put it. Then get back to me on the reading comprehension thing.

My point is not whether you support Jack's actions, it's whether you're willing to lay the blame for Jack's mistakes on a TV show you've never seen, versus at Jack's feet, where it belongs.

My frustration is having this 'show' brought up when trying to encourage the necessary requirements for shooting at even 400 yards.

Well, I didn't bring it up, your pal Jack brought it up in the context you stated above, so I think you should take it up with him.

Either that, or watch the show for yourself and form your own opinion.

And don't forget, you're the one who brought it up here.

I can't understand why some people are willing to bitch and moan about something they've never seen but are unwilling to take the time to actually observe what it is they're bitching and moaning about.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My point is not whether you support Jack's actions, it's whether you're willing to lay the blame for Jack's mistakes on a TV show you've never seen, versus at Jack's feet, where it belongs.

What mistake are you referring to?

Did Jack make a mistake in purchasing a new rifle?

Or, are you referring to the missed 350 yard shot (with the old rifle)?

Your presumptuous logic can be rather tough to follow at times.

Should Jack be tarred and feathered for buying a new rifle or missing a 350 yard shot?

Jack initially had some unreal expectations, derived from watching a cable hunting show. That does not mean his thoughts cannot be changed.

I am sorry if I offended you by questioning a hunting show and it's advertised bullet. Obviously, powerful marketing can be very effective, as evidenced by you and Jack.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The fact that you have to ask this question is rather amazing, since you catalogued his mistakes in an earlier post:

Anyway, he had just bought a used (new to him) 7mm......

Jack was putting a "less than $100" turret scope on the rifle......

This was a wood stocked 700BDL with no mods. No bedding job, no free float, no trigger mod/replacement, not even epoxy on his swivel studs for a bipod. grin

In Jack's mind, he had a true 800+ yard rifle and ammo.

I am sorry if I offended you by questioning your hunting show and it's advertised bullet. Obviously, powerful marketing can be very effective, as evidenced by you and Jack.

Well, now it's my turn to play the "reading comprehension" card. I think I've already said that I've never seen the show, and I've never shot a Berger at a big game animal.

Which is why I don't comment on either.

But you go ahead and keep commenting on both, it's entertaining if nothing else.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The fact that you have to ask this question is rather amazing, since you catalogued his mistakes in an earlier post:

Anyway, he had just bought a used (new to him) 7mm......

Jack was putting a "less than $100" turret scope on the rifle......

This was a wood stocked 700BDL with no mods. No bedding job, no free float, no trigger mod/replacement, not even epoxy on his swivel studs for a bipod. grin

In Jack's mind, he had a true 800+ yard rifle and ammo.

And that's just his equipment, his other mistake was believing he could make an 800-yard shot without serious range time.

Do you think he made no mistakes? Why even ask the question?

I am sorry if I offended you by questioning your hunting show and it's advertised bullet. Obviously, powerful marketing can be very effective, as evidenced by you and Jack.

Well, now it's my turn to play the "reading comprehension" card. I think I've already said that I've never seen the show, and I've never shot a Berger at a big game animal.

Which is why I don't comment on either.

But you go ahead and keep commenting on both, it's entertaining if nothing else.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!......Jack has not taken his new elk rifle on a 2011 elk hunt yet. No mistakes have been made yet!

Jack asked my opinion on what he was doing. I gave my opinions. I gave some very strong opinions. Some changes may have been made.

Like Jack, perhaps some here have fallen to some strong 'cup & core' marketing tactics.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!......Jack has not taken his new elk rifle on a 2011 elk hunt yet. No mistakes have been made yet!

I beg to differ Jack most certainly has made mistakes.

Here are 3 of his mistakes that we know from your posts

1-believing that his 30-6 was inadequate fro longer ranges on ELK
2- Purchasing a cheap scope with turrets and thinking that it was good to go for 800 yard shots on animals
3- Jack has no ides if the scope tracks accurately of consistently or for that matter he doesn't even know what the tracking values of his cheap scope is

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yes, I understand that Jack has not taken his new rifle hunting. His mistake was as you said, believing he had an 800-yard rifle. I would assume you suggested some changes to his set-up, if he made no mistakes, why suggest changes?

Now, here's a late-breaking news flash for you--I'm pretty sure that the TV show BOTW did not advocate a set-up such as the one Jack got, and you described above. Therefore, if you're frustrated, you should be frustrated with your pal Jack for being a dumb-ass, not with a TV show you've never seen.

But feel free to continue bitching about it, complaining about things you have zero experience with seems to be popular in some circles.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Add to that list, "watching a TV show and assuming you can replicate with little practical knowledge and cheap equipment in one season what experts using top-of-the-line equipment worked years to achieve."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Add to that list, "watching a TV show and assuming you can replicate with little practical knowledge and cheap equipment in one season what experts using top-of-the-line equipment worked years to achieve."

+1, that makes at least 4 mistakes without ever firing a shot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Here are 3 of his mistakes that we know from your posts

1-believing that his 30-6 was inadequate fro longer ranges on ELK
2- Purchasing a cheap scope with turrets and thinking that it was good to go for 800 yard shots on animals
3- Jack has no ides if the scope tracks accurately of consistently or for that matter he doesn't even know what the tracking values of his cheap scope is

Those were Jacks 'initial' thoughts. He has since upgraded scopes.

You may have a valid point concerning the 30-06. You may disagree, but the 7MAG is not exactly a step backwards either.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Those were initial thoughts by a newbie, that were not acted upon.

Indeed, his original plan was to cut corners. But, asking for some opinions appears to have turned things around.

Is it still a mistake?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Yes, I understand that Jack has not taken his new rifle hunting. His mistake was as you said, believing he had an 800-yard rifle. I would assume you suggested some changes to his set-up, if he made no mistakes, why suggest changes?

Now, here's a late-breaking news flash for you--I'm pretty sure that the TV show BOTW did not advocate a set-up such as the one Jack got, and you described above. Therefore, if you're frustrated, you should be frustrated with your pal Jack for being a dumb-ass, not with a TV show you've never seen.

But feel free to continue bitching about it, complaining about things you have zero experience with seems to be popular in some circles.

There is really no need to get irrational and/or emotional over this.

Didn't you say you've never seen this show?

For some reason, you continue commenting on a show you haven't watched either. You actually seem very volatile in defending a show you have never watched.

My concern would be that a show like this could convince other "Jacks" out there that this long-range hunting is much easier than it really is. Is there some product (on the show) that is suppose to make this type of shooting less complicated?

Is it the rifle, the scope, the cartridge, or the bullet? I can assume it's all these, but what do they claim is the advantage?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My concern would be that a show like this could convince other "Jacks" out there that this long-range hunting is much easier than it really is. Is there some product (on the show) that is suppose to make this type of shooting less complicated?

Stupid is supposed to be painful

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,988
Posts18,520,103
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.